• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I could go on for days about how unreasonable fans are about Hossa - it isn't any fundamentally different than people who still wear Shanahan jerseys (he did play for New York after us, or do people forget that?). 

I like Hossa as much as the next guy likes Hossa - but comparing a Hossa Wings jersey to a Shanahan Wings jersey? Shanahan helped us win three Cups. He'll always be remembered as a Red Wing. Hossa was here for a very, very brief time.

Just sayin'.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Even more reason not to boo Hossa!  It was always likely that he would only be here for 1 season.  The better comparison for Shanny is Feds.  Shanahan turned down the same amount of money from the wings to move to NY to build his post-playing career (and he was quite honest about that) but Wings fans give him a free pass.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#43 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have wet dreams about a top 6 of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen & Brunner, Filppula, Hossa.

(and that was just last night)

Edited by Z and D for the C, 09 June 2013 - 04:25 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Even more reason not to boo Hossa!  It was always likely that he would only be here for 1 season.  The better comparison for Shanny is Feds.  Shanahan turned down the same amount of money from the wings to move to NY to build his post-playing career (and he was quite honest about that) but Wings fans give him a free pass.

Shanny was so old and slow and lazy by that point. IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 RainingBlood

RainingBlood

Well thats my momma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Im hoping the devils buy out Kovalchuk. He would be the sniper on the powerplay the wings desperately need.

#46 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Devils got a lot of cap space. And Kovalchuk played well for them so far. Devils struggled when he was injured this spring. So I would say this is an unlikely buyout and an expensive one.

#47 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Wings better buy out 2 guys.

#48 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Devils got a lot of cap space. And Kovalchuk played well for them so far. Devils struggled when he was injured this spring. So I would say this is an unlikely buyout and an expensive one.

Ahh, but factor in that they do not like to spend and have been (and still are I believe) in financial distress.

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Kovalchuk will not be bought out. The Devils need more goals, not fewer (especially with Brodeur's retirement looming large on the horizon).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

That would be a nice thread subject too....What would you give up for Kovalchuk?  You mentioned the impending retirement of Broduer, they could bite at Mrazek too... (not straight up of course...)

edit: in all honesty, they do need some cap relief...they only have 6 forwards and 6 defensemen signed with $26M in Capspace....$26M sounds like a lot, but it could disappear quickly when you have to sign 8 forwards and a D...that is an average $2.8M per player, and it todays market, that is a lot of average to below average players or tons of prospects!

Edited by LeftWinger, 10 June 2013 - 03:54 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ahh, but factor in that they do not like to spend and have been (and still are I believe) in financial distress.

This makes them even more unlikely to buy him out, as it would mean that they'd need to immediately spend a large chunk of change that they almost certainly do not have on hand. More, they'd need to pay his replacement.

Not happening.

#52 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

That gives more reasons not to buy him out. That would be like flushing $50M they do not have down the drain.