• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

What would you give up for Malkin?

Rate this topic

The ticket this morning has been talking about a tweet Dreger sent out basically saying that if PIT goes out in the next couple games that they may put Malkin on the trade block. 26 years old, next year is final year on contract.

Theyre saying it would probably cost you 2-1st round picks, and a young forward and d-man (probably Nyquist and Smith realistically)

Would you do it?

At this point I think we could stand to part with Smith, especially if we add another top 2 dman through free agency not to mention our youth depth at D. Nyquist may be another story, but I think we could ultimately recover from that. The 2 - 1st rounders I think we could also do without regreting considering we could have Malkin for potentially 10 years if hes happy here.

Edited by Din758

Guest Crymson

Sigh. This was the tweet:

If Pens lose series in 4 or 5 games the offseason storylines may be interesting. Some think Malkin becomes a trade target. Tough call.

Not only was it completely speculative, but Dreger also further distanced himself by saying "some say." More, Dreger has never been a valid source where the Penguins are concerned. In other words, his statement has no substance whatsoever. The Ticket was stupid to think that he was speaking in an informed fashion.

On top of that, it would be beyond stupid for anyone to give up a king's ransom for Malkin, given that he has all of one year left on his contract.

If we could have him for that price I'd do it. Datsyuk and Malkin together for the next couple of years potentially? Heck yeah.

I haven't crunched the numbers though and I guess we'd have a pretty sad depth if we picked him up.

The ticket this morning has been talking about a tweet Dreger sent out basically saying that if PIT goes out in the next couple games that they may put Malkin on the trade block. 26 years old, next year is final year on contract.

Theyre saying it would probably cost you 2-1st round picks, and a young forward and d-man (probably Nyquist and Smith realistically)

Would you do it?

At this point I think we could stand to part with Smith, especially if we add another top 2 dman through free agency not to mention our youth depth at D. Nyquist may be another story, but I think we could ultimately recover from that. The 2 - 1st rounders I think we could also do without regreting considering we could have Malkin for potentially 10 years if hes happy here.

Or he could be here for next season, bail out for the biggest contract he could get and we're without Nyquist, Smith and 2 1st rounders for a Hossa like rental.

Malkin won't move until end of contract, and even then I expect Mario will keep him around, possibly moving around everything besides Sid to keep him.

To TRADE for him? Wow. Say goodbye to the prospect pool and a stack of picks.

If you think the Ticket has any concept of the NHL's market value of a player, or going rate on what it would "probably take" to land Malkin, you're nuts.

I like how everyone here is so sure that their hockey knowledge out surpasses everyone elses, especially people whos job it is to follow and cover sports. It may not have been an exact offer of what would be needed, but thats why the topic title is "what would you give up for Malkin?"

And is it that crazy to think Malkin wouldnt want to stay here? Play with Pav and Z for the next 3-4 years at least? Be the missing piece in a legit cup contender? Stay in the same conference hes played all his career?

Again maybe not likely, but not impossible.

i dont want anything to do with malkin .... id hate to see the prospects we would have to give up and we'd always have the threat of him leaving for the khl

And his cap number will be around 9 for sure which means other players salarys will also have to go up higher and f*ck up our whole team cap system

pass

Guest Crymson

I like how everyone here is so sure that their hockey knowledge out surpasses everyone elses, especially people whos job it is to follow and cover sports.

I have no doubt that there are many here whose hockey knowledge exceeds that of The Ticket. And honestly, the fact that its hosts gave Dreger's clearly speculative tweet the time of day is not a good reflection on their own awareness of the NHL. Finally, unless Mario is dealing Malkin at the deadline, it would cost a lot more than two 1sts and "two young players" to get him... that is, unless we're talking Huberdeau, Yakupov, and the like.

Believe it or not, being on a sports radio show does not automatically make one an expert. If you want an example, see ESPN. They're the nation's most popular sports network, and they're awful at talking hockey.

And is it that crazy to think Malkin wouldnt want to stay here? Play with Pav and Z for the next 3-4 years at least? Be the missing piece in a legit cup contender? Stay in the same conference hes played all his career?

Again maybe not likely, but not impossible.

It would be asinine and unforgivably imprudent to give away the farm for the possibility that Malkin would stay.

"what would you give up for Malkin?"

Alright, fine: I'd give up a 2014 1st and a couple of mid-level prospects. There's no way that any of the team's blue-chip youngsters should be passed off for a year of Malkin.

Edited by Crymson

Honestly I think that if Malkin got traded, the Avs would offer the 1st overall pick and someone like Duchene or Landeskog to get a deal done. That 1st pick this year is pretty coveted, as are 2 and 3. And we all know the Pens would want something to keep them competitive without missing a beat. The top 3 would keep them up there.

Finally, unless Mario is dealing Malkin at the deadline, it would cost a lot more than two 1sts and "two young players" to get him... that is, unless we're talking Huberdeau, Yakupov, and the like.

They would take 2 picks and 2 prosepcts because of the uncertainty of his contract.

This is more of a question, but is it not possible for the wings to talk to him about an extension before they deal for him? like a sign and trade. As far as his cap hit, I would pay the guy 8mil. Hes one of the best in the league, and we would have the space. And hes 24.

Doesnt Jurco make Nyquist expendable for a couple years? if thats what youre doing, youre esentially trading nyquist for malkin.

They would take 2 picks and 2 prosepcts because of the uncertainty of his contract.

This is more of a question, but is it not possible for the wings to talk to him about an extension before they deal for him? like a sign and trade. As far as his cap hit, I would pay the guy 8mil. Hes one of the best in the league, and we would have the space. And hes 24.

Doesnt Jurco make Nyquist expendable for a couple years? if thats what youre doing, youre esentially trading nyquist for malkin.

Hell no. Lots of people are freaking out that Dats and Z are getting older and we have no one to replace them. Jurco/Nyquist may be the closest guys we have as a future comparison to Dats/Z. Keep them both and build around them. Those are 2 guys that should be untouchable.

What would I give up? Emmerton, Mursak and a 4th.

What would it take? I don't think the Pens would be interested in picks and prospects, they want to keep a contending roster around Crosby, but they lack defense and goaltending. Any trade for Malkin would would have to include Malking signing an extension as part of the trade - but the price would start with Howard and Ericsson/Dekeyser, and I don't think anyone here is prepared to pay that, even for a top 3 player in his prime.

What would I give up? Emmerton, Mursak and a 4th.

What would it take? I don't think the Pens would be interested in picks and prospects, they want to keep a contending roster around Crosby, but they lack defense and goaltending. Any trade for Malkin would would have to include Malking signing an extension as part of the trade - but the price would start with Howard and Ericsson/Dekeyser, and I don't think anyone here is prepared to pay that, even for a top 3 player in his prime.

No, they're going to be in serious cap trouble next year so they can't really take much salary in return. I read that if they don't move Malkin this year, they'll likely have to choose between him and letang next year

To win in the "New NHL", you have to build from within and make smart, affordable additions in FA. Any team that breaks the bank, or the prospect pool, open to trade for Malkin better have a good core in place or it wouldn't make a ton of sense. Plus, the KHL will be sniffing at him heavily before it's all said and done. One of the teams in Russia, if he makes it to FA at some point, would definitely be willing to offer 15mil a year like what was rumored. No normal human, let alone a Russian forward, could say no to that to stay in the NHL, especially since he already has a ring.

No, they're going to be in serious cap trouble next year so they can't really take much salary in return. I read that if they don't move Malkin this year, they'll likely have to choose between him and letang next year

That's what I've heard too, and if that's the choice, bye bye Kris Letang. I'm not even sure he leaves the Pens, UNLESS he really wants to be "the guy" and tires of being a 1-2 punch with Crosby.

I would not trade for him in a one-year rental. Malkin's a special player, but everything about the way the team acted this year says that we're done chipping away draft picks year by year to "prolong the magic". You'd have to blow up multiple years of assets to get Malkin and then he could still bolt.

I guess I hear the KHL criticism, but the same thing could be said about Datsyuk or any other Russian. It's sad that there's eternally a view that Russians are "damaged goods". In the 90's, the perception was that they were soft and selfish. Just when it appeared THAT opinion had eroded enough, now you have the KHL as a home country competitor league that can actually pay decent money for quality hockey players. Still, there's been enough Kostitsyns and Radulovs to suggest that there's a kernel of truth to the "Russian flight" concern.

To win in the "New NHL", you have to build from within and make smart, affordable additions in FA. Any team that breaks the bank, or the prospect pool, open to trade for Malkin better have a good core in place or it wouldn't make a ton of sense. Plus, the KHL will be sniffing at him heavily before it's all said and done. One of the teams in Russia, if he makes it to FA at some point, would definitely be willing to offer 15mil a year like what was rumored. No normal human, let alone a Russian forward, could say no to that to stay in the NHL, especially since he already has a ring.

Spot on with this. Our future stars must come from within. Roster/cap turnover is a vital part of having a competitive roster with great rookies on cheap deals along with older stars on big deals-this creates depth. When you try to load up with stars like Pitts has done it ends up screwing your cap as we saw before the new cba with staal. Most teams have a bad contract or two just like us and the pens and paying top dollar for every player ends up killing the team in the long run.

The pens need to move some Aging Dmen and inject some of their talented d prospects with low cap hits.

Edited by dirtydangles

I'd ask Mario. "What would you do for a Klondike bar?" and if he said, "Trade Malkin!" I'd give him the Klondike bar. I work in a convenience store. I can buy another one.

As great as Malkin is, I agree with those who say it's not worth breaking the future to get him for a year. If they were looking for a salary dump and would take a lower-level player in return, I'd certainly entertain thoughts of that, but that would be seriously bad management on their part.

I love how on Internet forums whenever a star is rumored to be on the move people always assume the asking price will be astronomical. Then when said player is dealt it's so underwhelming. It happens EVERY single time.