• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

What would you give up for Malkin?

Rate this topic

I like people acting like picking up a superstar basically guarantees us a cup.

On paper the Pens were basically an all star team and they still got swept.

Nothing guarantee's anyone a Cup. If having the best superstar team meant winning the Cup all the time, we would have won in in 2003 as well as 2004. BUT acquiring this superstar would most definitely increase our scoring ability and thus bring us that much closer to glory again.

Guest DeGraa55

Nothing guarantee's anyone a Cup. If having the best superstar team meant winning the Cup all the time, we would have won in in 2003 as well as 2004. BUT acquiring this superstar would most definitely increase our scoring ability and thus bring us that much closer to glory again.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Remember the stat someone posted with like a week to go in the season? 16-0-2 was our record when scoring three goals or more?

A few things:

- I'm not opposed to the idea of Malkin being a Red Wing. For all the negatives I've cited, there are, to be sure, a whole lotta positives. One thing people seem to forget/not realize/overlook: the guy's big. I mean, sure, he could stand to beef up - but bulk can always be added, whereas height (he's 6'4) is what it is. Point being, he's a power forward. And what do we need more than anything? A power forward. Who can score. And crash. And bang. And be a thuggish brute. Who looks like Shrek. In short, someone who's generally a nightmare to play against. And Malkin is that.

- He's only 26. He's frickin' my age! How old was Yzerman when he became Mr. Selke? How old was Fedorov when he realized he could be a more-than-capable part-time defenseman? Granted, that was Bowman. But, still, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are post-Bowman products. Point being, who knows, maybe Malkin has it in him to be a great two-way player. Hell, he doesn't even need to be a great two-way player. And, I mean, we are bringing Brunner back, after all. (While I really like what Brunner brought to the table this season, he isn't half the force Malkin is, and his defensive game is probably roundabout equal to Malkin's, if that.)

- But, alas, reality-check time. Do we honestly see Shero parting with Malkin? Even if it came down to one of Crosby and Malkin, might it not make more sense for him to retain the latter? (See: Pens' fans' stomachs turning every time Crosby goes into a corner, or lines up for a shot block, or finds himself in between Orpik and the opponent's net.) Point being, this is a pipe dream if there ever was one. Truism, I know, but, well, yeah.

- Remember: we'd be selling the farm for this guy. So, if there's some young gun you deem Untouchable - chances are, he'd be gone. Certainly Mrazek would be gone, as the Pens really need a new look in net. That's the big reason why I'd probably prefer more of a blue-collar "all-arounder" like - IMHO - Dustin Brown or Ryan Callahan. (That's not xenophobia.)

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Remember the stat someone posted with like a week to go in the season? 16-0-2 was our record when scoring three goals or more?

Including the playoffs this season I believe we went 24-1-2 when scoring 3. The one regulation loss was game 6 against the hawks when we scored our 3rd with less than a minute left and lost 4-3.

Edited by Din758

The only ral negative with Malkin-and no pne has brought it up yet, is he has had injury issues in the past.

Now let me ask everyone a question. Some here have argued about the cost to resign/keep him. So, think of it this way. If we had drafted Malkin, and at 26 he was coming up on his final year, would you be pushing for the RW to resign him? Or would you guys be ok with the RW letting a 50 goal scorer walk away? or would you be pushing for him to be traded? I have mentioned a couple of times on this forum, that maybe we should look into trading datsyuk or Zetterberg, thus getting something for them now while they have value, vs. letting them slowly decline and retire-then we get nothing. Of course many become un hinged at such talk. But at the same time may of those same names chime in with "we can't pay 1 guy 10 million or more per year". Which is worse? 10 million for a 27 year old 50 goal scorer or 7 million for a 35 year old 20 goal scorer? that is in essence what we are talking about.

I wouldnt trade Z or Pav because when you trade players of that caliber, you never get your value back in the trade (the team trading the star i mean). That is why i think you can capitalize on it. And Geno wont get 10 on the open market, not with the way the cap when down this year, and possibly can the following year. I would expect 8.5 tops for him for the cap hit.

Guest Johnz96

The only ral negative with Malkin-and no pne has brought it up yet, is he has had injury issues in the past.

Now let me ask everyone a question. Some here have argued about the cost to resign/keep him. So, think of it this way. If we had drafted Malkin, and at 26 he was coming up on his final year, would you be pushing for the RW to resign him? Or would you guys be ok with the RW letting a 50 goal scorer walk away? or would you be pushing for him to be traded? I have mentioned a couple of times on this forum, that maybe we should look into trading datsyuk or Zetterberg, thus getting something for them now while they have value, vs. letting them slowly decline and retire-then we get nothing. Of course many become un hinged at such talk. But at the same time may of those same names chime in with "we can't pay 1 guy 10 million or more per year". Which is worse? 10 million for a 27 year old 50 goal scorer or 7 million for a 35 year old 20 goal scorer? that is in essence what we are talking about.

The Penguins would have had a better chance winning against Boston with Pav and Z than with Crosby and Mailkin. There is a lot more to hockey than just scoring goals.

Because of their age difference of course I would trade Pav or Z for Malkin, because of their age difference, of course Pittsburgh wouldn't trade Malkin for Pav or Z.

Edited by Johnz96

I sure wish Shero was interested in Franzen...throw him into my trade proposal and the deal gets done....again IF Shero wanted Franzen, but who the Hell wants Franzen? Nill?

For Shirts and Goggles:

to PIT : Johan Franzen, Kyle Quincey, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, 2014 1st round Pick

to DET : Evgeni Malkin, Tomas Vokoun, 2014 1st round Pick

Calling Mr. Holland, Mr. Shero, Get R Dun!!!!

(honestly, I think that is a bit overpayment....but hey, its all for what if's anyhow!)

The Penguins would have had a better chance winning against Boston with Pav and Z than with Crosby and Mailkin. There is a lot more to hockey than just scoring goals.

Because of their age difference of course I would trade Pav or Z for Malkin, because of their age difference, of course Pittsburgh wouldn't trade Malkin for Pav or Z.

Crosby is not as bad defensively as he gets crapped on for, sure in 2008 he was not a great two way forward.

But as a person who has a strong distaste for Crosby, I have a hard time saying he is not a very good two way forward.

I believe the rumor was (towards the end of the last round) that if the pens got swept they would be letting go of Bylsma (huge mistake imo) an potentially shopping Malkin.

I think I heard mention of it on NBCSN, but it could have been local coverage during the series, in which case it probably came from "CSNNE Insider" Joe Haggerty and he is as believable when it comes to rumors and trades as I am. Well actually I would probably be less likely to make up random shart than he is!

Guest Johnz96

Crosby is not as bad defensively as he gets crapped on for, sure in 2008 he was not a great two way forward.

But as a person who has a strong distaste for Crosby, I have a hard time saying he is not a very good two way forward.

He works hard to get back but he takes risks positionally (to score more)and with the puck to create offense and some of that can be seen in stats. For example he had 14 GiveAways to 12 TakeAways in the playoffs with 4 Hits and 7 Blocked Shots and -3 compared to Datsyuk at 4 GiveAways and 16 TakeAways 17 Hits and 7 Blocked Shots, +2 or Zetterberg with 7 GiveAways, 9 TakeAways, 13 Hits and 6 Blocked Shots, +3.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest The Axe

I sure wish Shero was interested in Franzen...throw him into my trade proposal and the deal gets done....again IF Shero wanted Franzen, but who the Hell wants Franzen? Nill?

For Shirts and Goggles:

to PIT : Johan Franzen, Kyle Quincey, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, 2014 1st round Pick

to DET : Evgeni Malkin, Tomas Vokoun, 2014 1st round Pick

Calling Mr. Holland, Mr. Shero, Get R Dun!!!!

(honestly, I think that is a bit overpayment....but hey, its all for what if's anyhow!)

Holland arrested for Grand Larceny!!!

Are there any reports anywhere that suggest Malkin will be traded?

Nope.....I think is just a tweet by Dreger mentioning that if they lost in 4 or 5 games moving Malkin may be an option due to his pending UFA after next season. So, this fun little thread was created for us to ponder what if? And what you would think would get Malkin in a Detroit Uniform... Hey, it seems far fetched that Malkin would be traded, but its not like its out of the realm of possibility. I never thought they would trade Staal either. I thought for sure that he would be a Penguin longer than Malkin if the choice had to be made... I would love Malkin in a Wings uni, I just have no clue on what it would cost...if we were staying in the West the cost would be less I am sure, but since we are moving East (albeit not in the same division as Pit) they price would be steeper...

Hey, it seems far fetched that Malkin would be traded, but its not like its out of the realm of possibility.

Nice oxymoron.

Jordan Staal isn't even in the same conversation as Malkin.

I'd love to see Malkin in a Wings uni too ... but I can't see any GM trading a player of that quality while still in a playoff position.

Guest DeGraa55

Nice oxymoron.

Jordan Staal isn't even in the same conversation as Malkin.

I'd love to see Malkin in a Wings uni too ... but I can't see any GM trading a player of that quality while still in a playoff position.

That's why you're not a gm. If he leaves when he is a free agent you get nothing.

So trade him for a boat load of prospects and picks or let him walk for nothing?

As a gm you should be first trying to work on an extension but if it doesn't go through then yes trading him is the best option. But who knows if he wants to stay or not.

If Malkin isn't signed to an extension in July/August, trade speculation will ramp up throughout next season. I don't see them getting to free agency with him. That much is up to Malkin though. If he wants to see what he's worth on the open market and wants to wait until free agency next year, no way he re-signs with PIT, they wouldn't be able to afford full market value if they want to keep other pieces together. I think they'll try hard to sign him in the next couple months and if that doesn't happen, look to trade late in next season (see Jordan Staal).