• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

No, they're going to be in serious cap trouble next year so they can't really take much salary in return. I read that if they don't move Malkin this year, they'll likely have to choose between him and letang next year

That's what I've heard too, and if that's the choice, bye bye Kris Letang.  I'm not even sure he leaves the Pens, UNLESS he really wants to be "the guy" and tires of being a 1-2 punch with Crosby.

I would not trade for him in a one-year rental.  Malkin's a special player, but everything about the way the team acted this year says that we're done chipping away draft picks year by year to "prolong the magic".  You'd have to blow up multiple years of assets to get Malkin and then he could still bolt.

I guess I hear the KHL criticism, but the same thing could be said about Datsyuk or any other Russian.  It's sad that there's eternally a view that Russians are "damaged goods".  In the 90's, the perception was that they were soft and selfish.  Just when it appeared THAT opinion had eroded enough, now you have the KHL as a home country competitor league that can actually pay decent money for quality hockey players.  Still, there's been enough Kostitsyns and Radulovs to suggest that there's a kernel of truth to the "Russian flight" concern.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

To win in the "New NHL", you have to build from within and make smart, affordable additions in FA. Any team that breaks the bank, or the prospect pool, open to trade for Malkin better have a good core in place or it wouldn't make a ton of sense. Plus, the KHL will be sniffing at him heavily before it's all said and done. One of the teams in Russia, if he makes it to FA at some point, would definitely be willing to offer 15mil a year like what was rumored. No normal human, let alone a Russian forward, could say no to that to stay in the NHL, especially since he already has a ring.

Spot on with this. Our future stars must come from within. Roster/cap turnover is a vital part of having a competitive roster with great rookies on cheap deals along with older stars on big deals-this creates depth. When you try to load up with stars like Pitts has done it ends up screwing your cap as we saw before the new cba with staal. Most teams have a bad contract or two just like us and the pens and paying top dollar for every player ends up killing the team in the long run.

The pens need to move some Aging Dmen and inject some of their talented d prospects with low cap hits.

Edited by dirtydangles, 07 June 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

I loaded barrel of rock salt.

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

I'd ask Mario. "What would you do for a Klondike bar?" and if he said, "Trade Malkin!" I'd give him the Klondike bar.  I work in a convenience store.  I can buy another one.

As great as Malkin is, I agree with those who say it's not worth breaking the future to get him for a year.  If they were looking for a salary dump and would take a lower-level player in return, I'd certainly entertain thoughts of that, but that would be seriously bad management on their part.

#25 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I love how on Internet forums whenever a star is rumored to be on the move people always assume the asking price will be astronomical. Then when said player is dealt it's so underwhelming. It happens EVERY single time.

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

Than ever seeing Malkin wearing a Red Wings jersey.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

I love how on Internet forums whenever a star is rumored to be on the move people always assume the asking price will be astronomical. Then when said player is dealt it's so underwhelming. It happens EVERY single time.

Really? Give me some examples that don't include terrible general managers.

#28 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

even if we could get malkin locked up longterm i wouldnt want him here ... the price would be way too high and our own players will want more money and screw up the whole team cap system we got  and we'd always have to deal with malkin threats of leaving

#29 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

That's all? 2 first and Nyquist and smith? Lol. Only an idiot would say no.

Malkin is a top player in the league.

But with that said I give us a 0% chance of getting him.

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,612 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

The whole farm baby!

evgeni-malkin-61.jpg

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yup...a lot and he could take #91,cause that's how he's gonna look like after year or two under Babcock :lol:

#32 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I just don't see how you can part ways with the 2nd best player in the world.

Like was mentioned, IF he doesn't like playing behind the best player in the world, then things could get interesting.

From the Pen's perspective: 2nd best player in the world or a top 5 D-man with defensive deficiencies? Easy choice in my opinion...

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 07 June 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,612 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

97 points in 82 career playoff games.

Yeah, he's to blame for their problems the last few playoffs.  Total choker.   :rolleyes:

I can't imagine them wanting to trade him.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

The reasons Malkin is even rumored to MAYBE be available is the cap. After this next season they have a total of 5 players signed and 39.5 million to spend. They need a whole new team. If they resing Malkin which they could, they will need to find 17 new players and only have about 30 million to spend. Their Norris candidate is also a UFA. So use another 8 million or so for him. 22 million for 16 players is not a lot of money. It only averages 1.375 million per guy. In other words they would have 6 stars and a AHL team. Not a plan for long term success.

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

The reasons Malkin is even rumored to MAYBE be available is the cap. After this next season they have a total of 5 players signed and 39.5 million to spend. They need a whole new team. If they resing Malkin which they could, they will need to find 17 new players and only have about 30 million to spend. Their Norris candidate is also a UFA. So use another 8 million or so for him. 22 million for 16 players is not a lot of money. It only averages 1.375 million per guy. In other words they would have 6 stars and a AHL team. Not a plan for long term success.

Do you have to have 23 guys? What if you only use 21?

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

I would give them Franzen, Filppula and Quincey...

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#37 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

I loaded barrel of rock salt.

Nice avatar :D

#38 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Do you have to have 23 guys? What if you only use 21?

Yes. There is a time limit for being under the 23 man roster. Plus the union would file a grevence.

#39 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

I gave up Franzen, Filpulla, 2014, 2015 and 2017 1sts in NHL 13.
I have a crazy first line of Datsyuk Abby and Malkin. Then downhill from there

#40 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Nothing, f*** trading our future for a ****** like Malkin

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s