• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

What would you give up for Malkin?

Rate this topic

Yes Nyquist looked good. But 15 games isn't proven and IDC who you are. Doing something for multiple seasons means you're proven. Smith is unproven and on the biggest smith fan there is.

And I never said I didn't have faith. I believe Nyquist will be good. But he won't be elite. Malkin is elite.

With that said we won't get Malkin. Holland doesn't have the stones to make a trade like that.

Its common sense look at the tigers for example prospects for proven commodities? Every time. Elite teams do it. Bad teams don't.

Well they haven't won a World Series yet since 1984.

Proven nothing? I don't know if you missed the playoffs this year, but for those of us who watched it saw HUGE growth in our young guys from start to finish. Nyquist was fantastic. Brunner was fantastic. Smith and Kindl struggled at times, but also had moments where they showed growth. We all know Danny D is going to be a stud and I personally believe if we had him playing we would have beaten the Hawks.

But to say that our prospects and young guys have showed nothing is simply ridiculous. Yes, Malkin has won an MVP and has put up a ton of points. But why on God's earth would you trade away guys who showed so much growth in just these playoffs? Nyquist is going to be a stud. In 2002, when Pavel Datsyuk showed signs of brilliance, should we have traded him to get a guy like Jagr? No, because we saw that he was coming into his own, much like our young guys now. Nyquist will not be Pavel Datsyuk, but there is no reason to say that we won't be something special for years to come. Have some faith, believe in the system because when everyone wrote the Wings off this year, they just kept coming because they believe in their system.

For most players I would agree with you. But this is Evgeni frikken Malkin. How often do players of that calibre become (potentially) available? Especialy in the cap world were star players get locked up on long contracts? If we could get him for picks and prospects I say go for it, especially because of our deep pool of prospects. Fact is, we've almost got too many - they can't all play. I honestly expect KH to do something this off season, whether its trading up in the 1st round, or picking off a juicy RFA, just to de-clog the pipeline.

Dats is 34, Hank is 32, Malkin is 26. If we do a trade + sign, we get 7-8 prime years of one of the top-3 players in the game.

Guest DeGraa55

For most players I would agree with you. But this is Evgeni frikken Malkin. How often do players of that calibre become (potentially) available? Especialy in the cap world were star players get locked up on long contracts? If we could get him for picks and prospects I say go for it, especially because of our deep pool of prospects. Fact is, we've almost got too many - they can't all play. I honestly expect KH to do something this off season, whether its trading up in the 1st round, or picking off a juicy RFA, just to de-clog the pipeline.

Dats is 34, Hank is 32, Malkin is 26. If we do a trade + sign, we get 7-8 prime years of one of the top-3 players in the game.

O I agree I don't think he will be moved.

But the thread is what would you be willing to give up.

Guest Playmaker

The second best player in the world just went pointless in the ECF. Fans tend to overreact to playoff losses early on. The Pens went to the conference finals and were beaten by a good team. You can have all the right pieces and things just don't click for a few games and suddenly you're out.

I agree with most of you when I say that giving up prospects would be well worth Malkin, as long as it's not TOO many of our top guys....

I think the people who are against trading away future are not denying that the formula worked for us in the past (4 Cups in 11 years) and would probably work for us again. I just think that they are tired of trading away picks and high prospects and for once would love to see "our" kids grow into the organization to form a similar core as they did with the 90's core.

Although it is noted that Malkin is still young and would be here for a long time and would become probably the central part of that core, as long as it didn't cost us TOO many of our tops prospects. I jokingly said earlier that I'd trade Franzen and Filppula and Q for him, but no way Shero would accept that. If he would accept that plus a prospect, cool....but now that I am thinking about it. Franzen (as much as I dislike him) and Filppula would be overpayment in my opinion, for the "potential" chemistry between Datsyuk and him. Although Malkin is religiously at the top of the league in scoring every year.

How about this:

Franzen, Quincey, Tatar, 2013 1st for Malkin, 2013 1st...(which will be much lower that ours)

Anyone else think Malkin struggles in this series? The missed one timer in a last ditch effort to score?

The entire Pengwhines team struggled in this series, but they had a respectable playoffs... Malkin scored 16 points in 15 games, not too shabby.

As much as I like Malkin, and would love to see him on a line with Dats the only way i would like to see the Wings get him is as a FA. No sense giving up future for him. Besides we are going to the East and I doubt they would trade him to same conference.

Look what kind of package Eric Lindros got...and that was based on his potential. Malkin's proven himself. The only way I would consider trading for him would be AFTER he was signed to an extension. I don't think anyone would trade for him otherwise. Anyhow I don't think he'll be traded anyway and the Pens would be stupid to do so

If they were going to move him-doubt it, I would give whatever they wanted. Malkin has and will continue to out score most of our forwards combined. He has 560 career points in 458 regular season games. In the playoffs he has 97 points in 82 games. That my friends is production. Proven production. That is better than either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Malkin would be our best player and it isn't even close. At 26-soone to be 27, he has 8-10 GREAT years left.

On the open market he would get a 7 year (max) 70 million deal. If he resigns with his current team, they can go to 8 years. This is big. As for paying him, how much wasted money are the wings currently carrying? Bert-2 million, Sammy-3 million, Q-almost 4 million, Cola-2.5 million, Cleary-3 million. That is 14.5 million just on those guys.

But we would have to move our prospects. So? At best 1 out of 5 ever make it. Most don't. Nyquist, tatar, and Anderson will never produce the same amount as Malkin. Heck he might even produce MORE playing with his countryman and Ideal-Datsyuk.

Our issue this past year was O. Adding a 50+ goal guy fixes that overnight.

Now wil this ever happen? No. Holland doesn't have the stones for this type of move anymore. This would be a better move than when we traded Primeau for Shanahan.Yes Kieth turned into a great player-before the head injuries, but Shanny got us 4 cups. In the end that is what matters. Cups. Malkin makes us a cup contender. The others don't.

If they were going to move him-doubt it, I would give whatever they wanted. Malkin has and will continue to out score most of our forwards combined. He has 560 career points in 458 regular season games. In the playoffs he has 97 points in 82 games. That my friends is production. Proven production. That is better than either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Malkin would be our best player and it isn't even close. At 26-soone to be 27, he has 8-10 GREAT years left.

On the open market he would get a 7 year (max) 70 million deal. If he resigns with his current team, they can go to 8 years. This is big. As for paying him, how much wasted money are the wings currently carrying? Bert-2 million, Sammy-3 million, Q-almost 4 million, Cola-2.5 million, Cleary-3 million. That is 14.5 million just on those guys.

But we would have to move our prospects. So? At best 1 out of 5 ever make it. Most don't. Nyquist, tatar, and Anderson will never produce the same amount as Malkin. Heck he might even produce MORE playing with his countryman and Ideal-Datsyuk.

Now wil this ever happen? No. Holland doesn't have the stones for this type of move anymore. This would be a better move than when we traded Primeau for Shanahan.Yes Kieth turned into a great player-before the head injuries, but Shanny got us 4 cups. In the end that is what matters. Cups. Malkin makes us a cup contender. The others don't.

Unbelievably great player but I'd rather have four solid lines then two great lines and two lines of scrubs cuz we don't have the prospects or cap space.

Lol @ giving our "future" away for a 26 year old grandpa!

You people are crazy saying you wouldn't want the 2nd best player in the world on this team.

You are ok with trading away prospects and draft picks for the 2nd best player in the world for one season?

You are ok with trading away prospects and draft picks for the 2nd best player in the world for one season?

If we win the cup? Yes. None of our "prospects" mean we win anything. Not to mention we can resing him. I know, can't be done......... Just Like Datsyuk now. We will not resign him either.......

*IF* it were to happen, whoever traded for him would have a agreed a contract extension with Malkin beforehand, like we did with Hasek in 2001.

Do not want.

Guy can't play defense, can't play in key nail-biting situations, can't handle smothering coverage (he just went pointless in a sweep loss with probably the best supporting cast you're going to see in this cap era. And we all remember what the Wings did to him way back when.) And I don't get the sense that he's a great team guy, though that may just be me. Still, ultimately, Do not want.

What would I give up for Malkin?

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Pr

Do not want.

Guy can't play defense, can't play in key nail-biting situations, can't handle smothering coverage (he just went pointless in a sweep loss with probably the best supporting cast you're going to see in this cap era. And we all remember what the Wings did to him way back when.) And I don't get the sense that he's a great team guy, though that may just be me. Still, ultimately, Do not want.

"Can't play in key situations"

malkin-conn-smythe-winner-lrg.png

Uh huh. How many points did Datsyuk have in a 7 game series against Chicago?

If we win the cup? Yes. None of our "prospects" mean we win anything. Not to mention we can resing him. I know, can't be done......... Just Like Datsyuk now. We will not resign him either.......

And on the flip side of that, if we don't win a cup and he doesn't resign?

Just getting Malkin wouldn't guarantee anything and if he leaves, say we give up the ton of prospects we have we are in a worse of situation than before we had him.

Now obviously there's almost no way it happens, but I wouldn't trade for him.

Guest Johnz96

Zetterberg and Datsyuk sacrifice scoring for defense and the team and have class. I would much rather have Datsyuk or Zetterberg on my team.

Do not want.

He could play much better defense than he does if he wanted to but he would have to sacrifice some scoring to do so.

Edited by Johnz96

People are still talking about this? I figured the first 15 times it was shot down and explained why it would be a horrible idea would end the thread. Guess not...

Hi, my name's _SP_, and I'd like to remind you that were in the beginning stages of the Red Wings' off-season. This is the time where many people play, "What if?" and toss around different scenarios to pass the time between the end of the season and Free Agency/Draft/Training Camp.

If you don't like the concept... well, there's about 200 other active threads on this forum. I'm sure one of them will suit your desires.

IF Mario said, "Hey _SP_, we're looking to move Malkin. What would you give for him?" My response: G Petr Mrazek, C/W Riley Sheahan, D Kyle Quincy, and a 2014 1st Round Pick. I would not agree to touch top prospects like Tatar, Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Sproul, or Ouellett. They get an excellent goalie prospect and a top-4 NHL defenseman.