• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#61 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

If they were going to move him-doubt it, I would give whatever they wanted. Malkin has and will continue to out score most of our forwards combined. He has 560 career points in 458 regular season games. In the playoffs he has 97 points in 82 games. That my friends is production. Proven production. That is better than either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Malkin would be our best player and it isn't even close. At 26-soone to be 27, he has 8-10 GREAT years left.

On the open market he would get a 7 year (max) 70 million deal. If he resigns with his current team, they can go to 8 years. This is big. As for paying him, how much wasted money are the wings currently carrying? Bert-2 million, Sammy-3 million, Q-almost 4 million, Cola-2.5 million, Cleary-3 million. That is 14.5 million just on those guys.

But we would have to move our prospects. So? At best 1 out of 5 ever make it. Most don't. Nyquist, tatar, and Anderson will never produce the same amount as Malkin. Heck he might even produce MORE playing with his countryman and Ideal-Datsyuk.

Our issue this past year was O. Adding a 50+ goal guy fixes that overnight.

Now wil this ever happen? No. Holland doesn't have the stones for this type of move anymore. This would be a better move than when we traded Primeau for Shanahan.Yes Kieth turned into a great player-before the head injuries, but Shanny got us 4 cups. In the end that is what matters. Cups. Malkin makes us a cup contender. The others don't.

#62 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

If they were going to move him-doubt it, I would give whatever they wanted. Malkin has and will continue to out score most of our forwards combined. He has 560 career points in 458 regular season games. In the playoffs he has 97 points in 82 games. That my friends is production. Proven production. That is better than either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Malkin would be our best player and it isn't even close. At 26-soone to be 27, he has 8-10 GREAT years left.
On the open market he would get a 7 year (max) 70 million deal. If he resigns with his current team, they can go to 8 years. This is big. As for paying him, how much wasted money are the wings currently carrying? Bert-2 million, Sammy-3 million, Q-almost 4 million, Cola-2.5 million, Cleary-3 million. That is 14.5 million just on those guys.
But we would have to move our prospects. So? At best 1 out of 5 ever make it. Most don't. Nyquist, tatar, and Anderson will never produce the same amount as Malkin. Heck he might even produce MORE playing with his countryman and Ideal-Datsyuk.

Now wil this ever happen? No. Holland doesn't have the stones for this type of move anymore. This would be a better move than when we traded Primeau for Shanahan.Yes Kieth turned into a great player-before the head injuries, but Shanny got us 4 cups. In the end that is what matters. Cups. Malkin makes us a cup contender. The others don't.

Unbelievably great player but I'd rather have four solid lines then two great lines and two lines of scrubs cuz we don't have the prospects or cap space.

#63 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Lol @ giving our "future" away for a 26 year old grandpa!

You people are crazy saying you wouldn't want the 2nd best player in the world on this team.

#64 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lol @ giving our "future" away for a 26 year old grandpa!

You people are crazy saying you wouldn't want the 2nd best player in the world on this team.

You are ok with trading away prospects and draft picks for the 2nd best player in the world for one season?

#65 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

You are ok with trading away prospects and draft picks for the 2nd best player in the world for one season?

Oh, my bad. I hadn't realized that was set in stone. My apologies.

#66 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

If we win the cup? Yes. None of our "prospects" mean we win anything. Not to mention we can resing him. I know, can't be done......... Just Like Datsyuk now. We will not resign him either.......

#67 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

People are still talking about this? I figured the first 15 times it was shot down and explained why it would be a horrible idea would end the thread. Guess not...

You were wrong

#68 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

its simple. if hes a free agent, go for him. dont trade for him.

#69 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I don't see Shero trading Malkin to a fellow Eastern Conference foe so they have to play against him. A trade just isn't. gonna. happen.

#70 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

*IF* it were to happen, whoever traded for him would have a agreed a contract extension with Malkin beforehand, like we did with Hasek in 2001.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#71 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Do not want.

Guy can't play defense, can't play in key nail-biting situations, can't handle smothering coverage (he just went pointless in a sweep loss with probably the best supporting cast you're going to see in this cap era. And we all remember what the Wings did to him way back when.) And I don't get the sense that he's a great team guy, though that may just be me. Still, ultimately, Do not want.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#72 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

What would I give up for Malkin?

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Pr

Do not want.

Guy can't play defense, can't play in key nail-biting situations, can't handle smothering coverage (he just went pointless in a sweep loss with probably the best supporting cast you're going to see in this cap era. And we all remember what the Wings did to him way back when.) And I don't get the sense that he's a great team guy, though that may just be me. Still, ultimately, Do not want.

"Can't play in key situations"

malkin-conn-smythe-winner-lrg.png

Uh huh. How many points did Datsyuk have in a 7 game series against Chicago?

Posted Image

#73 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

If we win the cup? Yes. None of our "prospects" mean we win anything. Not to mention we can resing him. I know, can't be done......... Just Like Datsyuk now. We will not resign him either.......

And on the flip side of that, if we don't win a cup and he doesn't resign?

Just getting Malkin wouldn't guarantee anything and if he leaves, say we give up the ton of prospects we have we are in a worse of situation than before we had him.

Now obviously there's almost no way it happens, but I wouldn't trade for him.

#74 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Zetterberg and Datsyuk sacrifice scoring for defense and the team and have class. I would much rather have Datsyuk or Zetterberg on my team.

Do not want.

He could play much better defense than he does if he wanted to but he would have to sacrifice some scoring to do so.

Edited by Johnz96, 09 June 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#75 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

People are still talking about this? I figured the first 15 times it was shot down and explained why it would be a horrible idea would end the thread. Guess not...

Hi, my name's _SP_, and I'd like to remind you that were in the beginning stages of the Red Wings' off-season.  This is the time where many people play, "What if?" and toss around different scenarios to pass the time between the end of the season and Free Agency/Draft/Training Camp.

If you don't like the concept... well, there's about 200 other active threads on this forum.  I'm sure one of them will suit your desires.

IF Mario said, "Hey _SP_, we're looking to move Malkin.  What would you give for him?"  My response: G Petr Mrazek, C/W Riley Sheahan, D Kyle Quincy, and a 2014 1st Round Pick.  I would not agree to touch top prospects like Tatar, Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Sproul, or Ouellett.  They get an excellent goalie prospect and a top-4 NHL defenseman.

#76 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

What would I give up for Malkin?

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Pr

"Can't play in key situations"

malkin-conn-smythe-winner-lrg.png

Uh huh. How many points did Datsyuk have in a 7 game series against Chicago?

1. Gary Oldman is awesome. I would give up anyone and everyone to have him as an assistant coach. Can you imagine? Mike Babcock and...Gary Oldman.

2. Key nail-biting situations. How much crap did Bylsma get for having Malkin on the ice late against the Sens that one game? And we're talking about the second round. And the Senators.

3. I'm not big on Datsyuk in the playoffs. He always seems to be "fighting an injury."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#77 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi, my name's _SP_, and I'd like to remind you that were in the beginning stages of the Red Wings' off-season.  This is the time where many people play, "What if?" and toss around different scenarios to pass the time between the end of the season and Free Agency/Draft/Training Camp.

If you don't like the concept... well, there's about 200 other active threads on this forum.  I'm sure one of them will suit your desires.

IF Mario said, "Hey _SP_, we're looking to move Malkin.  What would you give for him?"  My response: G Petr Mrazek, C/W Riley Sheahan, D Kyle Quincy, and a 2014 1st Round Pick.  I would not agree to touch top prospects like Tatar, Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Sproul, or Ouellett.  They get an excellent goalie prospect and a top-4 NHL defenseman.

I agree, its all fun and games.  That being said, I never thought of the Mrazek angle.  They definitely need a direction to go with their goaltending.  Fleury s*** the bed, and Vokoun is not really someone who is going to be their starter for years to come.  I am good with giving up Q, and the 2014 pick.  I do think though it would take more than Sheahan to sweeten the deal. I wouldn't mind giving up Tatar or Jurko and I still think that if they could do some buyouts along with this trade, it would open up more money to get a legit 2nd line scorer too. I would also want Vokoun in return to be Jimmy's backup.  I would then just waive the Monster.  If that involved dealing a player or two more then  so be it. Of course it would be much more settling to have a deal in place to re-sign him as soon as the deal was done (just like when the traded for Hasek.)  Getting Pav inked, making to trade and getting Malkin inked would have to be to way it is done.  We cannot chance losing him after one season to a higher bidder.  Shero could either sign him to the 8 year $80M deal and then trade him, or he could trade him to us and we could. Either way, this guy has to be paid that much.

So, in my Scenario:

to Pittsburgh : Kyle Quincey, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, 2014 1st round Pick

to Detroit : Evgeni Malkin, Tomas Vokoun

(I am going to make up a capgeek with my new roster and post it in the capgeek thread if it all works out money-wise.)

I agree Holland probably wouldn't have the nutso's to pull this off.  BTW, Holland was not the GM when Shanahan was acquired, but he did do the Hasek deal, so he has done a big deal before....Malkin would for sure solve our Offense problem....

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#78 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

1. Gary Oldman is awesome. I would give up anyone and everyone to have him as an assistant coach. Can you imagine? Mike Babcock and...Gary Oldman.

2. Key nail-biting situations. How much crap did Bylsma get for having Malkin on the ice late against the Sens that one game? And we're talking about the second round. And the Senators.

3. I'm not big on Datsyuk in the playoffs. He always seems to be "fighting an injury."

Only agree with you on the Datsyuk thing.  

But Malkin is a much better playoff performer throughout his career.  Who has a better playoff points per game than Malkin, since he came into the league?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 09 June 2013 - 10:51 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#79 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I don't know that there's much to disagree with me about the key situations thing. The Bylsma-got-shredded-for-having-Malkin-on-the-ice-late-in-that-game-against-the-Sens dealy is legit. It actually happened, and just a few weeks ago. And we're a team that prides ourselves on having special players who can do absolutely everything. Like play solid Team D.

Malkin can score like crazy. When he's not being smothered. He really doesn't understand Team D, he's goon-ish, and his face reminds me of Shrek.

EDIT: Then again, we do need a guy who can score like crazy. But at what cost?

Edited by Dabura, 09 June 2013 - 11:01 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#80 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

I would NOT trade Mrzak.  He his our future and he's one of the reasons the Griffins are in the Calder Cup finals.