• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#121 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hey, it seems far fetched that Malkin would be traded, but its not like its out of the realm of possibility. 

Nice oxymoron.

Jordan Staal isn't even in the same conversation as Malkin.

I'd love to see Malkin in a Wings uni too ... but I can't see any GM trading a player of that quality while still in a playoff position.

#122 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Nice oxymoron.

Jordan Staal isn't even in the same conversation as Malkin.

I'd love to see Malkin in a Wings uni too ... but I can't see any GM trading a player of that quality while still in a playoff position.

That's why you're not a gm. If he leaves when he is a free agent you get nothing.

So trade him for a boat load of prospects and picks or let him walk for nothing?

As a gm you should be first trying to work on an extension but if it doesn't go through then yes trading him is the best option. But who knows if he wants to stay or not.

#123 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

When was the last time a young superstar like Malkin was traded for prospects while his team was still a contender for Lord Stanley`s Cup.

#124 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Malkin will get an extension somewhere under Crosby's $8.7 million. They'll sign Letang as well, under those two, keep Neal and everyone else will become expendable.

#125 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

If Malkin isn't signed to an extension in July/August, trade speculation will ramp up throughout next season.  I don't see them getting to free agency with him.  That much is up to Malkin though.  If he wants to see what he's worth on the open market and wants to wait until free agency next year, no way he re-signs with PIT, they wouldn't be able to afford full market value if they want to keep other pieces together.  I think they'll try hard to sign him in the next couple months and if that doesn't happen, look to trade late in next season (see Jordan Staal).

#126 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Malkin will get an extension somewhere under Crosby's $8.7 million. They'll sign Letang as well, under those two, keep Neal and everyone else will become expendable.

He will sign the extension ONLY if he feels he never wants to leave Pit.  There are plenty of GM's out there that are more than willing to give him the most a player can make under the CBA. If that is $10M, he could EASILY get $10M from a contender too. With the right moves and trades, Holland could give him $10M.  He'd have to be happy in Pit, so happy that he makes less than most players he is better than around the league for the rest of his career... I am not so sure Malkin will be happy making less than Crosby, considering he is better than him and isn't one hit away from a noodle brain...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#127 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Malkin just resigned for 8 years 76 million. 

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#128 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Beat me to it. He's not going anywhere

IPB Image

#129 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Now they sign Crosby for 8yrs and 76mill and resign Letang and thats their team, good luck :D

#130 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Malkin just resigned for 8 years 76 million. 

Wow. $9m+ per year. I don't think they'll be winning any Cups soon.

#131 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

WTF are they thinking? Are they just not going to have a defense or goalie?

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#132 Winterberg

Winterberg

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Now they sign Crosby for 8yrs and 76mill and resign Letang and thats their team, good luck :D

No need to sign Crosby, he's signed until 2025 I think.

#133 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Can anyone crunch the numbers and see what their cap situation will be like next year. Gotta imagine that if they resign Letang they will have to sign scrubs to fill out their lineup.

#134 Winterberg

Winterberg

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Can anyone crunch the numbers and see what their cap situation will be like next year. Gotta imagine that if they resign Letang they will have to sign scrubs to fill out their lineup.

http://capgeek.com/penguins/

edit: this will give you some idea

Edited by Winterberg, 13 June 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#135 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wow. $9m+ per year. I don't think they'll be winning any Cups soon.

They won their cup in 2009.  They like to win every 20 years.  Hopefully they go more than that, or just never win again, but Ray "GM of the year" Shero apparently didn't get the memo that the cap is going down 6 million next year and you can't blow 18.2 on 2 players and still have enough depth to win the cup, hence Boston's sweep of them.  The B's have 4 lines, the Pens don't.  I'm actually quite happy the Penguins have handcuffed themselves though as I have intolerable hatred for that organization as a whole. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#136 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

They won their cup in 2009.  They like to win every 20 years.  Hopefully they go more than that, or just never win again, but Ray "GM of the year" Shero apparently didn't get the memo that the cap is going down 6 million next year and you can't blow 18.2 on 2 players and still have enough depth to win the cup, hence Boston's sweep of them.  The B's have 4 lines, the Pens don't.  I'm actually quite happy the Penguins have handcuffed themselves though as I have intolerable hatred for that organization as a whole. 

At least they haven't been trading away draft picks or prospects lately to help fill their lineup...wait....oh your saying they did?....oh nevermind they're screwed!

#137 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Yikes.

What does this mean for Datsyuk? 

#138 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

http://capgeek.com/penguins/

edit: this will give you some idea

According to capgeek, the have 7+mil of space for next year, and 10 guys to sign. Gotta believe Letang is gone next year. Id take him, might cost you 6+mil for him though.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#139 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yikes.

What does this mean for Datsyuk? 

Datsyuk is much older than Malkin. I don't think this changes much for Datsyuk. Plus he isn't a Federov holdout for more money type of player.

#140 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I kind of figured he'd get a deal like this, but $9.5 mil and he's somewhat injury prone.  Plus, you're already committing $8.7 mil per year to another player who's even more injury prone.  This top heavy, shootout, superstar team might do well in the regular season, but its proven it can't handle the playoffs.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't have resigned Malkin, but I don't know if signing someone to a huge contract that eats up a bunch of cap space is a good idea when the cap's going down and your team has been exposed several times in the postseason as having a ton of holes and lack of depth. Letang's pretty much a goner and your blue line is already the weak point on the team.  I keep reading Pens fans saying "Okay, let's go lock up Tanger long term.  And then Duper and then Iginla.  And then get Cooke back!".  I'm like, "You know there's a salary cap right?  And these guys aren't going to play for free"  I'm soooo glad the Wings don't think like this and they would rather have a well balanced team.