• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#141 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

According to capgeek, the have 7+mil of space for next year, and 10 guys to sign. Gotta believe Letang is gone next year. Id take him, might cost you 6+mil for him though.

That's with the salary cap where it is now. What if the indications the salary cap is going down next year become true? Then where are the penguins lmao

#142 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

According to capgeek, the have 7+mil of space for next year, and 10 guys to sign. Gotta believe Letang is gone next year. Id take him, might cost you 6+mil for him though.

I was actually teasing a friend of mine who is a HUGE Letang fan saying he should go to Detroit.  But actually that might not be a bad idea.  Give us a good right handed shot from the point, a true powerplay QB, he'd fit right into our system.  I don't see why he couldn't be another Brian Rafalski for us.

#143 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'd love to get letang via trade - im not sure if they can make it work cap wise.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#144 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Malkin extended by the pens. So much for that pipe dream

#145 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

If the Pens did choose between Malkin and Letang they made the right choice. They have plenty of scoring upfront to win it all, but need to be more responsible on the blueline. They also have a couple good young defenders in their system that they will try to replace him with.

Edited by MasterPavel, 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#146 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Dats to get 7.5 or 8, I gotta believe.

#147 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Losing Malkin would have hurt the Pens much worse than the possibility of losing Letang. Truth is, Pitsburgh has a ton of talented prospects on the blueline... Despres, Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot, Dumoulin. Too bad they traded Joe Morrow for a washed up Brendan Morrow, else that would have made 6 extremely talented defensive prospects.

#148 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

WTF are they thinking? Are they just not going to have a defense or goalie?

Can anyone crunch the numbers and see what their cap situation will be like next year. Gotta imagine that if they resign Letang they will have to sign scrubs to fill out their lineup.

Ray "GM of the year" Shero apparently didn't get the memo that the cap is going down 6 million next year and you can't blow 18.2 on 2 players and still have enough depth to win the cup, hence Boston's sweep of them.  The B's have 4 lines, the Pens don't.  I'm actually quite happy the Penguins have handcuffed themselves though as I have intolerable hatred for that organization as a whole. 

I really don't see what the big problem is...They now have two of the best players in the world locked up for 18mil for the next 8 years. That's a hell of a lot better than Parise/Suter for 15mil.

Is it going to be a tight fit next year with the cap at 64mil? Sure. But the cap will go up by 4-5 mil every year. 

0% chance Letang would ever leave. They would buyout/waive Paul Martin before even considering that. Letang is a premier offensive defenceman and isn't going anywhere. Not to mention they have some great defensive prospects in their system that are ready to step in Pouliot, Despres, Maatta and Harrington. All on entry-level contracts with Despres already on the roster.

As much as I hate Pittsburgh they're going to be just fine.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#149 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Dats to get 7.5 or 8, I gotta believe.

If he does Holland is an idiot and Datsyuk's agent should run for office. He is 34 years old and coming off an "off" year for him stats wise (before you say it was a short season, I know, post-season wasn't what I expected from him. He was almost invisible against CHI). Why would he get a raise? 

If anything his salary goes down. I see him getting between 6-6.5 mil per season for a two season deal. Anything more will be front loaded at like 7 and end up at 4 or so when he is around 38-39 like most other long term contracts. Malkin is young and that's why he gets so much. Pavel is old by NHL superstar standards and should get less than he gets now. 

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#150 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

If he does Holland is an idiot and Datsyuk's agent should run for office. He is 34 years old and coming off an "off" year for him stats wise (before you say it was a short season, I know, post-season wasn't what I expected from him. He was almost invisible against CHI). Why would he get a raise? 

If anything his salary goes down. I see him getting between 6-6.5 mil per season for a two season deal. Anything more will be front loaded at like 7 and end up at 4 or so when he is around 38-39 like most other long term contracts. Malkin is young and that's why he gets so much. Pavel is old by NHL superstar standards and should get less than he gets now. 

Regardless he is a top 5 forward in the world. He will get minimum 7mil and is very much worth it.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#151 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

$9.5M caphit, whats the spread on how long before someone says he's overpaid? :P

But buh-bye to your depth Penguins.  You've got $30m to sign 17 players in 2014 :lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#152 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

LOL thanks Pens....you're getting older, you have big time holes in the defense, you goalie is a headcase and a sieve and now you lock up Shrek long term but along with Crysby, you have something near 30% of your cap (which is going down) tied up in two players? 

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAH

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#153 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is there a link for the salary cap possibly dropping? Just curious.

#154 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Regardless he is a top 5 forward in the world. He will get minimum 7mil and is very much worth it.

On the ice he is a top 5 forward in the world. On a stats sheet? Not really. Malkin, Crosby, both Sedins, St. Louis, Stamkos, even Iginla and Nash will routinely have more goals and most of them will have more points. Steals and great passes look awesome when they happen, but goals and assists win games. 

He is worth 7 mil for a couple years... maybe. If he looks like he did against CHI then he is worth less than 6. Don't get me wrong, Dats is my favorite player and I want him to be a Wing and would hate for him to leave, but, we need to have a sensible budget with a team that is going to get smaller via FA losses and wants to make a run of it next season. That means being able to make trades in February. And having money to lure the big trades that work out in the offseason (like we couldn't do with Hossa) and promoting/keeping young talent that hit UFA status is worth more than keeping one player (EDIT:) for more money than is reasonable. 

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 13 June 2013 - 12:29 PM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#155 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

This board sounds an awful lot like it did after the Hawks won their first cup.

"The Hawks will suck after signing a few big names!" 

"Good-bye Depth, Hello COOORRRRREEEE"

Hawks seem to have turned out OK!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#156 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Is there a link for the salary cap possibly dropping? Just curious.

No 64.3mil next year then it's only going to go up as it's tied to revenue and revenue has gone up every year. If revenue increases by just 5% each year then it will reach 90mil in less than 10 years. Don't know where people get the idea of the cap going down after next year...

SOURCE - good article from Globe and Mail

Edited by Son of a Wing, 13 June 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Vince Lombardi

#157 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

No 64.3mil next year then it's only going to go up as it's tied to revenue and revenue has gone up every year. If revenue increases by just 5% each year then it will reach 90mil in less than 10 years. Don't know where people get the idea of the cap going down after next year...

SOURCE - good article from Globe and Mail

That's what I thought. I thought maybe there was something I missed but I remembered they said it wouldn't dip below 64.3 million.

#158 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

This board sounds an awful lot like it did after the Hawks won their first cup.

"The Hawks will suck after signing a few big names!" 

"Good-bye Depth, Hello COOORRRRREEEE"

Hawks seem to have turned out OK!

In case you forgot, a Dallas loss in that team's final game of the season was necessary in order for Chicago to make the playoffs in 2011, and they got bounced in the first round in both 2011 and 2012.

#159 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Great move by the pens. They guaranteed a playoff berth every year for the next 8 years. You have to have stars to win.

#160 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Only way you would ever see Malkin in a Wings jersey is

If you play any NHL video game.

Good for the Pens locking Malkin up spares us all the drama and controversy if they didn't.