• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

What would you give up for Malkin?

Rate this topic

LOL thanks Pens....you're getting older, you have big time holes in the defense, you goalie is a headcase and a sieve and now you lock up Shrek long term but along with Crysby, you have something near 30% of your cap (which is going down) tied up in two players?

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAH

Regardless he is a top 5 forward in the world. He will get minimum 7mil and is very much worth it.

On the ice he is a top 5 forward in the world. On a stats sheet? Not really. Malkin, Crosby, both Sedins, St. Louis, Stamkos, even Iginla and Nash will routinely have more goals and most of them will have more points. Steals and great passes look awesome when they happen, but goals and assists win games.

He is worth 7 mil for a couple years... maybe. If he looks like he did against CHI then he is worth less than 6. Don't get me wrong, Dats is my favorite player and I want him to be a Wing and would hate for him to leave, but, we need to have a sensible budget with a team that is going to get smaller via FA losses and wants to make a run of it next season. That means being able to make trades in February. And having money to lure the big trades that work out in the offseason (like we couldn't do with Hossa) and promoting/keeping young talent that hit UFA status is worth more than keeping one player (EDIT:) for more money than is reasonable.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

This board sounds an awful lot like it did after the Hawks won their first cup.

"The Hawks will suck after signing a few big names!"

"Good-bye Depth, Hello COOORRRRREEEE"

Hawks seem to have turned out OK!

Is there a link for the salary cap possibly dropping? Just curious.

No 64.3mil next year then it's only going to go up as it's tied to revenue and revenue has gone up every year. If revenue increases by just 5% each year then it will reach 90mil in less than 10 years. Don't know where people get the idea of the cap going down after next year...

SOURCE - good article from Globe and Mail

Edited by Son of a Wing

No 64.3mil next year then it's only going to go up as it's tied to revenue and revenue has gone up every year. If revenue increases by just 5% each year then it will reach 90mil in less than 10 years. Don't know where people get the idea of the cap going down after next year...

SOURCE - good article from Globe and Mail

That's what I thought. I thought maybe there was something I missed but I remembered they said it wouldn't dip below 64.3 million.

Guest Crymson

In case you forgot, a Dallas loss in that team's final game of the season was necessary in order for Chicago to make the playoffs in 2011, and they got bounced in the first round in both 2011 and 2012.

Guest DeGraa55

Great move by the pens. They guaranteed a playoff berth every year for the next 8 years. You have to have stars to win.

In case you forgot, a Dallas loss in that team's final game of the season was necessary in order for Chicago to make the playoffs in 2011, and they got bounced in the first round in both 2011 and 2012.

That is hardly the demise this board predicted!

Guest Crymson

That is hardly the demise this board predicted!

Nobody predicted that they would be a basement team.

I mentioned in a another thread, good teams are going to go in cycles. They'll maintain their core of stars, but around them will be a cast of scrubs, retreads and youngsters. They'll be real good for a couple of years when those guys are cheap and work out, but then those guys will leave for more money elsewhere and the process will start again.

Crymson has already brought up the Hawks record, and this playoff run their depth has been almost as important as their core, and this post-season and next summer, they're going to lose a lot of that depth. So are Boston.

Guest Playmaker

I wouldn't consider two first round losses to be a going in a "cycle". I know many here seem to think there's an exact formula to winning it all. There just isn't. A few months ago, many here had already given the cup to the Pens and annointed Ray Shero the best GM ever. Injuries happen, goalies get hot, you get fluke goals. Chicago was one flukey goal away from being an epic failure this season in the minds of many and now they're the shining example of how to do things.

I wouldn't consider two first round losses to be a going in a "cycle". I know many here seem to think there's an exact formula to winning it all. There just isn't. A few months ago, many here had already given the cup to the Pens and annointed Ray Shero the best GM ever.

Injuries happen, goalies get hot, you get fluke goals. Chicago was one flukey goal away from being an epic failure this season in the minds of many and now they're the shining example of how to do things.

The people who were giving the cup to the Pens were fools who are ignorant of the history of hockey. They were one of the favourites for sure, but thats all you can do as a GM - make your team a contender. Then as you say, injuries, goalies and fluke goals have their say on your outcome.

Nevertheless, the best way to build a team in this cap world, is a strong core of stars surrounded by scrubs, retreads and kids who are cheap AND good. Just like Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and LA have...

Unfortunately, we woke Chicago up. They sleepwalked through their first 7 games. They've gone 8-1 since they were 3 games to 1 down.

Great move by the pens. They guaranteed a playoff berth every year for the next 8 years. You have to have stars to win.

Nothing is guaranteed. I would love it if they had that kind of mindset though, where they "knew" they would make the playoffs. That's the kind of thing that leads to upsets.