• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

In case you forgot, a Dallas loss in that team's final game of the season was necessary in order for Chicago to make the playoffs in 2011, and they got bounced in the first round in both 2011 and 2012.

That is hardly the demise this board predicted!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#162 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

That is hardly the demise this board predicted!

Nobody predicted that they would be a basement team.

#163 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

This board sounds an awful lot like it did after the Hawks won their first cup.

"The Hawks will suck after signing a few big names!" 

"Good-bye Depth, Hello COOORRRRREEEE"

Hawks seem to have turned out OK!

I mentioned in a another thread, good teams are going to go in cycles.  They'll maintain their core of stars, but around them will be a cast of scrubs, retreads and youngsters.  They'll be real good for a couple of years when those guys are cheap and work out, but then those guys will leave for more money elsewhere and the process will start again.

Crymson has already brought up the Hawks record, and this playoff run their depth has been almost as important as their core, and this post-season and next summer, they're going to lose a lot of that depth.  So are Boston.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#164 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I wouldn't consider two first round losses to be a going in a "cycle".  I know many here seem to think there's an exact formula to winning it all.  There just isn't.  A few months ago, many here had already given the cup to the Pens and annointed Ray Shero the best GM ever.  Injuries happen, goalies get hot, you get fluke goals.  Chicago was one flukey goal away from being an epic failure this season in the minds of many and now they're the shining example of how to do things. 

#165 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't consider two first round losses to be a going in a "cycle".  I know many here seem to think there's an exact formula to winning it all.  There just isn't.  A few months ago, many here had already given the cup to the Pens and annointed Ray Shero the best GM ever. 

Injuries happen, goalies get hot, you get fluke goals.  Chicago was one flukey goal away from being an epic failure this season in the minds of many and now they're the shining example of how to do things. 

The people who were giving the cup to the Pens were fools who are ignorant of the history of hockey.  They were one of the favourites for sure, but thats all you can do as a GM - make your team a contender.  Then as you say, injuries, goalies and fluke goals have their say on your outcome.

Nevertheless, the best way to build a team in this cap world, is a strong core of stars surrounded by scrubs, retreads and kids who are cheap AND good.  Just like Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and LA have...

Unfortunately, we woke Chicago up.  They sleepwalked through their first 7 games.  They've gone 8-1 since they were 3 games to 1 down.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#166 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Great move by the pens. They guaranteed a playoff berth every year for the next 8 years. You have to have stars to win.

Nothing is guaranteed.  I would love it if they had that kind of mindset though, where they "knew" they would make the playoffs.  That's the kind of thing that leads to upsets.  

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".