• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Lineups for Other Sports

Rate this topic

I have a hopefully fun idea for a thread. I thought about what a Red Wings lineup would look like if we applied their current strengths and weaknesses to other major sports. For example, Pavel Datsyuk is quick and shifty and thus might make a good running back. Remember when Marty Turco compared him to Barry Sanders? Pretty self-explanatory.

I also have to say this as a forewarning: I really, REALLY do not want this thread to drift even the slightest towards a discussion about how the MLB is corrupt, how the NBA is fixed or how the NFL is crooked. My genuine intention is to have this be about the sports games themselves.

Basketball

***I don't know the exact numbers but my experience tells me that a lot of teams use an 8-man rotation out of a 12-man roster. So I just want to get into who would make up my 8-man rotation.

Starting Lineup:

Point Guard: Pavel Datsyuk (Playmaker. Guy you want to handle the ball the most. Easy selection.)
Shooting Guard: Henrik Zetterberg (Can create plays for himself/others.)
Small Forward: Johan Franzen (Can bull his way into the lane and absorb contact.)
Power Forward: Niklas Kronwall - (Good footwork. Also a threat from the outside with a good shot.)
Center: Jimmy Howard (Oftentimes the last line of defense.)

Bench:

Point Guard: Gustav Nyquist (Another quick and good playmaker.)
Shooting Guard/Small Forward: Darren Helm (Defensive stopper off the bench.)
Center: Jonathan Ericsson (Provides an interior defensive presence and physical play.)

Baseball

***It is baseball season after all! I don't have a huge knowledge of baseball. I didn't really get into who I would want for all the different kinds of pitchers and pinch hitters/runners, etc. Anyone interested is more than welcome to add their opinions about those positions. Or any of the positions, really.

Field Positions:

Pitcher: Pavel Datsyuk (Can put the ball wherever he wants to.)
Catcher: Jimmy Howard (Can make defensive calls.)
1st Base: Johan Franzen
2nd Base: Gustav Nyquist
3rd Base: Darren Helm
Shortstop: Henrik Zetterberg (Can also make defensive calls and anticipate the play well.)
Left Field: Danny Dekeyser
Center Field: Niklas Kronwall (Director of the outfield.)
Right Field: Jonathan Ericsson

Batting Order:
1. Darren Helm (Fastest baserunner on the team.)
2. Henrik Zetterberg (Contact hitter.)
3. Pavel Datsyuk (Best overall player on offense.)
4. Johan Franzen (Power hitter and cleanup man.)
5. Gustav Nyquist
6. Niklas Kronwall
7. Danny Dekeyser
8. Jonathan Ericsson
9. Jimmy Howard

Football

***I'll admit it. I don't really watch football and so I don't really no jack squat about it. Just not a huge fan. But I'll give it a try. I didn't get into special teams.

Offense:

Quarterback: Henrik Zetterberg (Playmaker. Definite field general.)
Running Back: Pavel Datsyuk (Barry Sanders on skates.)

Fullback: Justin Abdelkader (Can protect the running back.)

Wide Receiver: Gustav Nyquist (Speed and good hands.)
Wide Receiver: Darren Helm (Speed and... Yeah, just speed, hehe.)
Tight End: Johan Franzen (Has size to block but can also receive passes.)
Center: Jimmy Howard (Read the defense and direct the offensive line.)
Left Guard: Niklas Kronwall
Right Guard: Jonathan Ericsson
Left Tackle: Danny Dekeyser
Right Tackle: Joakim Andersson

Defense:

Defensive Tackle: Jonathan Ericsson
Defensive Tackle: Johan Franzen
Defensive End: Justin Abdelkader
Defensive End: Joakim Andersson

Middle Linebacker: Jimmy Howard

Outside Linebacker: Henrik Zetterberg
Outside Linebacker: Gustav Nyquist
Cornerback: Darren Helm
Cornerback: Pavel Datsyuk
Safety: Niklas Kronwall
Safety: Danny Dekeyser

Thoughts? If you want to get into other sports too, feel free. Hope this thread turns out to be a fun one.

Soccer (4-2-3-1 formation)

Howard

White - Ericsson - Dekeyser - Kronwall

Helm - Filppula

Brunner - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Franzen

I don't know much about formations but if I'm looking at that right, Helm/Flip are defensive mids, Dats line are attacking mids, right? And I'm guessing the striker position doesn't do as much work as everyone else except trying to score goals?

I don't know much about formations but if I'm looking at that right, Helm/Flip are defensive mids, Dats line are attacking mids, right? And I'm guessing the striker position doesn't do as much work as everyone else except trying to score goals?

Right on. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a striker. :tounge: Chelsea fans will understand.

Right on. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a striker. :tounge: Chelsea fans will understand.

Soccer (4-2-3-1 formation)

Howard

White - Ericsson - Dekeyser - Kronwall

Helm - Filppula

Brunner - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Franzen

It still amazes me how much North Americans are getting into football/soccer. It's nice to see from a British perspective :) Now if only you could do the same with rugby!

I like that team as well, although would like E in the defensive midfield slot for his occasional long ball peaches.

The Wings did something or other where they played baseball. Kronner thought he got a guy out because the rules are different in Sweden.

Whatever position you have them play, make sure to specify the rules.

2.jpg

Didn't he look a lot younger back then?

It still amazes me how much North Americans are getting into football/soccer. It's nice to see from a British perspective :) Now if only you could do the same with rugby!

I like that team as well, although would like E in the defensive midfield slot for his occasional long ball peaches.

I grew up in Europe, so I watched soccer as a kid.

Big E is too slow to be a defensive midfielder. Kind of like England's national players. :tounge:

This reminds me of Donny Baker on "The Bob and Tom Show". "He probably hits from the red tees, I swear to god man".

"Shut up Randy I'm on the phone!"

I've always liked it, just was never able to watch it on TV unless the World Cup came around back then. Had to look everything up on the internet (before youtube exploded) before it started being televised more and more, but I admit I knew more players a decade ago than I do now, so I'd like to get into it again soon. I probably stopped paying attention altogether when Henry left Arsenal, are they still good now?

Field Positions:

P: Valtteri Filppula
C: Jonathan Ericsson
1B: Johan Franzen
2B: Henrik Zetterberg

3B: Jimmy Howard

SS: Pavel Datsyuk

LF: Tomas Tatar
CF: Darren Helm

RF: Damien Brunner

DH: Niklas Kronwall

Speed in the outfield, range in the infield and double-play artistry on par with Trammell and Whitaker.

Batting Order:
CF Darren Helm
SS Pavel Datsyuk
2B Henrik Zetterberg
1B Johan Franzen
DH Niklas Kronwall
RF Tomas Tatar
C Jonathan Ericsson
3B Jimmy Howard

LF Damien Brunner

Speed at the top and the bottom.

TooToo for kickoff return guy. Tough job very few want to do, get's little recognition unless kick is returned for a TD, and very replaceable in the grand scheme of the roster.

(Not from the Wings but a perfect candidate):

3 Meter Springboard - Sidney Crosby

I grew up in Europe, so I watched soccer as a kid.

Big E is too slow to be a defensive midfielder. Kind of like England's national players. :tounge:

Trust me, lack of pace is the least of our concerns! :lol: The inability to pass, control and hold onto that white round thing are far bigger problems. The one player we produced in 20 years who could do that on a world class level (Scholes) we played as an occasional left winger, so he just jacked in international football.

Anyway, On-Topic. I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo. Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

Edited by Nev

Trust me, lack of pace is the least of our concerns! :lol: The inability to pass, control and hold onto that white round thing are far bigger problems. The one player we produced in 20 years who could do that on a world class level (Scholes) we played as an occasional left winger, so he just jacked in international football.

Anyway, On-Topic. I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo. Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

I know. I was talking about lack of pace in midfielders like Barry, Gerrard, Milner, Lampard. England needs to develop technical, possession based midfielders, instead of guys who are always kicking balls 50 yards down the field when pressured, hoping some tall Cockney idiot can win a header. That won't win you games against the top squads.

Anyhow, I was hoping more posters would create soccer lineups. Lidstrom and Kronwall playing football (American), somehow sounds like a bad idea for those guys. :lol:

Field Positions:

P: Valtteri Filppula

C: Jonathan Ericsson

1B: Johan Franzen

2B: Henrik Zetterberg

3B: Jimmy Howard

SS: Pavel Datsyuk

LF: Tomas Tatar

CF: Darren Helm

RF: Damien Brunner

DH: Niklas Kronwall

Speed in the outfield, range in the infield and double-play artistry on par with Trammell and Whitaker.

Batting Order:

CF Darren Helm

SS Pavel Datsyuk

2B Henrik Zetterberg

1B Johan Franzen

DH Niklas Kronwall

RF Tomas Tatar

C Jonathan Ericsson

3B Jimmy Howard

LF Damien Brunner

Speed at the top and the bottom.

Nice.

I forgot to mention that Pavel would get a Triple Crown. :cool:

Instead of saying MVP stands for My Venezuelan Player it would stand for My Valerievich Player.

I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo. Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

Can't argue with that.

Yeah if I watched soccer at all I would definitely put up a lineup for that sport. I probably watch less than a minute of soccer on TV and that counts the split seconds between changing channels. We definitely need some more soccer fans to contribute to this thread. I know we got a lot of Europeans on here so hopefully they'll make a post or two.

OK, here's my attempt

G: Howard - obvious

RB: Eaves - shortage of rightys, but works hard and good defensively

CB: Ericsson - Vidic stlye stopper centre-half

CB: Dekeyser - Ferdinand style ball playing centre-half

LB: Kronwall - Big shot and big hits, a Stuart Pearce style left back

DMC: Andersson - sits in front of the back 4 and protects them.

MC: Nyquist - more of winger in a 4-4-2 formation, but has the skills to succeed in centre mid.

MC: Helm - energiser bunny. Harries the opposition, wins the ball, and gives it to Hank;)

MC: Zetterberg - hard working, defensively responsible, and skilled to boot. The ideal central midfielder

AMC: Datsyuk. He is Messi on skates, right?

CF: Bertuzzi. Great for holding the ball up, bringing others into the play.