• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#541 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

How the hell is Kane the MVP?  Crawford or Bickell should've gotten it.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#542 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yeah, no kidding.  They did talk about us a bunch after the Hawks won the Cup.  If you weren't a hockey fan and just turned it on at the end, you would've thought they beat the Wings to win the Cup.  

It doesn't sting for me in the least.  We were an inexperience 7th seed that barely made the playoffs.  I wasn't expecting us to even take it that far.  Plus, our young guys ended up getting a nice Calder Cup championship out of it.

Sorry man but I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. A Calder Cup championship in no way makes up for the fact that our franchise had three chances to put away the team that eventually hoisted. That is choke/heartbreak/salt in wound all over the place.

esteef

I think that Chicago will do what they need to to retain him, but why people wouldn't want Bickell wearing a Detroit sweater is beyond me.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#543 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sorry man but I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. A Calder Cup championship in no way makes up for the fact that our franchise had three chances to put away the team that eventually hoisted. That is choke/heartbreak/salt in wound all over the place.

I think that Chicago will do what they need to to retain him, but why people wouldn't want Bickell wearing a Detroit sweater is beyond me.

Because up until this point we have managed to keep a roster free of d-bags... even Abdelkader is a pest with class.

#544 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

esteef

At least it wasn't Toews.

Lebrun had his as his second choice for it a few days ago, which is a jaw droppingly bad choice.

#545 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Because up until this point we have managed to keep a roster free of d-bags... even Abdelkader is a pest with class.

Toots and Bert didn't have a history as d-bags?

Give me 20 D-bags. Could care less. That team full of D-Bags is walking around town with Lord’s Stanley right now.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#546 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Toots and Bert didn't have a history as d-bags?

Give me 20 D-bags. Could care less. That team full of D-Bags is walking around town with Lord’s Stanley right now.

Hrm, you are right... I could maybe stomach 17 D-bags with a Cup and 3 Captains and Alternates who exude class... I couldn't handle a crybaby captain though.

Lebrun had his as his second choice for it a few days ago, which is a jaw droppingly bad choice.

Kronwall's skate should have gotten the Conn Smythe, without it, Hawks may not have gotten out of Round 2. On a more serious note, without Crawford, Hawks do not for real get out of Round 2. 

I was impressed that other than the 6 to 5 game in Finals, there didn't seem to be one game where he imploded even after letting in a weak goal. I was waiting for it all post season, a total implosion game.

• Ram likes this

#547 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

To each his own.  The Wings were not expected to do anything this year and I felt the most important part of this year was the development of our young guys.  I mean, if our top prospects don't perform well, we're looking at some lean years, lottery draft picking years.  Seeing them take it to Chicago, a team that eventually won the Stanley Cup, is very promising.  Seeing them win the Calder Cup down in the AHL is even more promising.  Losing never feels good, especially to Chicago, but there's a big shiny silver lining to this past season and maybe that makes me a glass half full kind of guy, but the promise these young guys showed this spring outshine the loss.  Again though, that's just me.

#548 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

It does for me, that's for sure. Obviously, that has to do with my proximity to the Griffins; but it's great to know the future is bright and for all the irritation and bad feelings between myself and hockey this year - it wound up being a better season than I think any of us could have realistically hoped for.

Of course, it stings to know that they could've taken the Blackhawks out; but defeating Chicago doesn't guarantee a cup or even a place in the Finals. The fact of the matter is, the best team in all of hockey won the Stanley Cup - and they defeated Boston 3 games in a row to do it.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#549 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hrm, you are right... I could maybe stomach 17 D-bags with a Cup and 3 Captains and Alternates who exude class... I couldn't handle a crybaby captain though.

Kronwall's skate should have gotten the Conn Smythe, without it, Hawks may not have gotten out of Round 2. On a more serious note, without Crawford, Hawks do not for real get out of Round 2. 

I was impressed that other than the 6 to 5 game in Finals, there didn't seem to be one game where he imploded even after letting in a weak goal. I was waiting for it all post season, a total implosion game.

Crawford would've been my choice.

He had a shaky game in the Finals but overall was a big reason the Hawks were still in the playoffs as they got their act together.

In 2010 they won it because of their stacked team and in spite of their goaltending.  This year they needed to lean on their goalie.

#550 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

esteef

My choice for MVP is Seabrook.  He got Toews back on track....twice, got 2 OT goals, 1 winning a series and the 2nd swinging the momentum back for the Hawks.  On top of that, he played really good shutdown hockey and was a big leader for the Hawks. 

The main problem with all the MVP type trophies and Norris and such, is that EVERY trophy is a point race.  They aren't given to the guys that actually fit the description of the trophy.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#551 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

So Boston pulled a Toronto to lose the cup on home ice.  *choke*  God I hate Chicago.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#552 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

So Boston pulled a Toronto to lose the cup on home ice.  *choke*  God I hate Chicago.

And Toronto recognized it....this is today's Toronto Sun newspaper front cover...what a bunch of idiots.

BNk62b7CEAA4-GN.jpg_large.jpg

#553 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

And Toronto recognized it....this is today's Toronto Sun newspaper front cover...what a bunch of idiots.

Just shows you how stupid some of their fans and the media are.Looks like the Leafs want to be in every discussion 24/7 the Toronto Sun is just crap can't wait for their new "trade Kessel" article, because he is shy *lol*

Just shows you how stupid some of their fans and the media are.Looks like the Leafs want to be in every discussion 24/7 the Toronto Sun is just crap can't wait for their new "trade Kessel" article, because he is shy *lol*

with that said, I think the Conn Smythe should have gone to either Seabrook or Keith. Their top pairing locked up insane minutes and contributed in evey way. This voting just shows you, how important the NHL trophies these days are, especially the Norris and the Conn Smythe. They aren't given out to the best players at their positions anymore, just to the guys with the most points..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#554 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#555 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

I guess the argument would be, When he sucked (see: against the Wings), the team sucked.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#556 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'd love to see a montage put together of all the Toews crying during this post season and mouthing What the F to the refs while on national TV and smashing his stick going to the box.

I guess they could end it with him and cup, which would just make his crybaby act even more poignant, like the refs gave into his bitching.

#557 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'd love to see a montage put together of all the Toews crying during this post season and mouthing What the F to the refs while on national TV and smashing his stick going to the box.

I guess they could end it with him and cup, which would just make his crybaby act even more poignant, like the refs gave into his bitching.

Even towards the end of the Cup winning game it looked like Chara crushed him into the post and knocked the net off. On the replay though you could see Chara gave Toews a fairly regular shove, Toews hit the net and flopped, immediately looked up at the refs with disgust, wondering why there was no call when he was clearly almost murdered.

#558 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sad thing is, I see the 'hawks coming out of the West again next year.

Wouldn't it be great, though - Blackhawks-WIngs in the SCF.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#559 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

You know who I thought of when Boston lost? Jarome Iginla. Why, you ask? When Pittsburgh was eliminated, a dressing room reporter intimated to Milan Lucic that Iginla had chosen the wrong team if he was hoping to get a chance to win the Cup. Lucic had his typical smirk and basically said "Yeah, too bad for him, smirk".

It's called karma.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#560 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure how they think this somehow changes the fact that they were clowned by the Bruins. Giving up a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period of a 7th game is far worse than giving up a 2-1 lead in the final minute, even if it was a Cup game. 

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 26 June 2013 - 01:22 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman