• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Rules regarding salary

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Hypothetically, could Datsyuk and Filppula both sign for 1 mil per season so the Wings could go after a big UFA and throw 10 mil per at him? Anyone know the rules on salary limitations?

Should be no real rules...but I can't say for sure. Selanne and Kariya did sign for way below market value several years ago. Under a different CBA though. The biggest stubbling block would be NHLPA pressure if someone were to sign way below market value I'd think. I guess the NHL could choose not to approve such a contract as well, but not sure what grounds they'd have (also, it would go against their focus of keeping player costs down)

I am not saying Pavel is greedy, but he would be have to be high off of Sour Diesel to take a 1 mil a year deal.

Especially if the WIngs stab him in the back buy offering an outsider a 10 mil a year deal.

5 or 6 would probably be a deal, but to take one mil per season from the Wings, no way in hell.

If he did take it I would buy him a life time stash of the sweetest cheeba cheeba as a thank you!

If you remember the "Lids rule" Holland did not want to pay anyone more than lids because he took the deal to stay in Motown.

That I could see Dats doing, staying for 6.5 or so and Holland saying unofficially no one will make more than you, but not a million.

Guest The Axe

I am not saying Pavel is greedy, but he would be have to be high off of Sour Diesel to take a 1 mil a year deal.

Especially if the WIngs stab him in the back buy offering an outsider a 10 mil a year deal.

5 or 6 would probably be a deal, but to take one mil per season from the Wings, no way in hell.

If he did take it I would buy him a life time stash of the sweetest cheeba cheeba as a thank you!

If you remember the "Lids rule" Holland did not want to pay anyone more than lids because he took the deal to stay in Motown.

That I could see Dats doing, staying for 6.5 or so and Holland saying unofficially no one will make more than you, but not a million.

Im just saying a "scouting position" for 1.5 mil per year in Russia from age 40 to 60 could also open up after retirement for Pav! ;-)

Axe, that made me chuckle, like back when people would say:

"give Hossa a glorified position at Little Ceasar's but pay him like 2 mil in the nhl."

Ahhh, non-drug induced flashback are only half the fun!

Guest The Axe

Pretty sure you can't give jobs for friends/family or promise future jobs.

It's provided some great humour, though.

Im not suggesting this is made public.

I also would like to know what is the MOST a player can make under this CBA?

It's my opinion that Dastyuk will get $7.5M...and if Holland was able to land a superstar upcoming UFA, both Dats and Z should have no problem with him getting $10M if he is going to net 50 goals and at the same time, allowing Z and Dats to top 100 points...plus make our chances of a Cup that much better...

This may very well be entirely in my imagination, but when Crosby signed his contract, wasn't there a bit of outlash from some of the NHLPA because he signed for less than a lot of people expected and valued him at? I think the issue was that other star players couldn't justify a massive payday because the league's best player is only worth X, so logically they should be proportionally less than X. I might have made that all up though.

Anyway, 5+ million dollars is a very very large discount. Most of us won't make that throughout our whole careers. And even with the discount, there's no guarantee that it will result in a Cup. We would have to be talking about an extremely generous (and IMO foolish) individual to pass up that kind of money for a better (but still not guaranteed) chance at the Cup.

I would also think that is Holland had a target that would potentially cost him more than Datsyuk or Zetterberg per year, he would probably be up front with the both of them with his intentions and I am sure if they felt that they were informed of this, they wouldn't have any issues with it, especially if it betters the team....

besides, last off season Holland offered Suter a contract that would have been more than Dats or Z's anyhow, so its not like they have to be the highest paid, but I have a feeling Holland informed them that he was going after Suter with a contract that would pay him that much. Again, if they felt part of the process and I think they would have no issues with making less than someone on the team...

Guest The Axe

I think it should be reversed......throw the moon at Dats to stay in Detroit and a superstar UFA gets paid a million dollars to play with the guy. WIN WIN!!!

We've got all the euro connections to get these under the table deals done. Its perfectly normal for Malkin to end up the Head of Russian Red Wing player development for 30 years at 2 million a year after he signs for 8 years, 6 million total.

I also would like to know what is the MOST a player can make under this CBA?

It's my opinion that Dastyuk will get $7.5M...and if Holland was able to land a superstar upcoming UFA, both Dats and Z should have no problem with him getting $10M if he is going to net 50 goals and at the same time, allowing Z and Dats to top 100 points...plus make our chances of a Cup that much better...

The Maximum under the old CBA was 1/5th the cap. I am not positive they changed this. If they didn't it is 12.68 which I believe I heard that number before when they talked about how much money Crosby could get before they signed him.

The Maximum under the old CBA was 1/5th the cap. I am not positive they changed this. If they didn't it is 12.68 which I believe I heard that number before when they talked about how much money Crosby could get before they signed him.

There is a minimum-Huskins signed for it last year and a max. In some of the malkins threads it was posted, and IIRC it is 20% of the cap number.

Guest The Axe

Isn't that funny, both lockouts were to keep salaries down, but you can pay a player nearly $13M a year...the only thing the lockouts did was water down the NHL.

Ding ding ding. Parity is so lame.

Guest DeGraa55

Ding ding ding. Parity is so lame.

Parity? I don't see parity. The last four teams in playoffs were last four cup winners...parity.

Guest The Axe

Parity? I don't see parity. The last four teams in playoffs were last four cup winners...parity.

Last 10 years?

Hey, if were talking hypotheticals here, whats to stop Chris Chelios from signing for the league minimum next year, breaking all his sticks every game and laying them across the blue line creating an impenetrable defensive zone so Detroit allows no goals against next season. /sirdrake

Sorry, I saw the hypothetical statements and got nostalgic. I'd have to believe the NHLPA would ruin any kind of fun for players signing for less then market value, filing grievances and all that stuff. Plus it rarely works, like when Kariya and Selanne tried it with the Avs :lol: