• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Ilya Kovalchuk, would you....

Rate this topic

Would you trade for him if he were on the block, and what do you think it would take?

Would you try to pick him up if he got bought out?

I only made this thread to not derail the Hossa thread. I haven't heard anything about him being vought out or traded, but they are in a bit of a pickle with very little payers signed... I will quote what I wrote in the Hossa thread and you guys can comment from there:

What would you give up for Kovalchuk? You mentioned the impending retirement of Broduer, they could bite at Mrazek too... (not straight up of course...)

In all honesty, they do need some cap relief...they only have 6 forwards and 6 defensemen signed with $26M in Capspace....$26M sounds like a lot, but it could disappear quickly when you have to sign 8 forwards and a D...that is an average $2.8M per player, and it todays market, that is a lot of average to below average players or tons of prospects!

This guy indeed had prior chemistry with Dastyuk and at $6.6M cap hit, he is not too expensive considering the market...plus if he got bought out, he would be even cheaper...

Guest Crymson
This guy indeed had prior chemistry with Dastyuk and at $6.6M cap hit, he is not too expensive considering the market...plus if he got bought out, he would be even cheaper...

Prior chemistry when? Anyway, we've already got Z and Franzen on lifetime contracts. We don't need yet another.

He won't be bought out. Even if the Devils wanted to do so, for whatever reason, they just don't have that kind of cash on hand.

Edited by Crymson

Guest mjtm77

Prior chemistry when? Anyway, we've already got Datsyuk and Franzen on lifetime contracts. We don't need yet another.

He won't be bought out. Even if the Devils wanted to do so, for whatever reason, they just don't have that kind of cash on hand.

dats got a new contract?

Prior chemistry when? Anyway, we've already got Z and Franzen on lifetime contracts. We don't need yet another.

Whoops, I thought maybe they played together over in Russia prior to the NHL...I guess other than the Olympics and some other International play, they haven't really played too much more together. I do remember watching the last Olympics with a line of Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Malkin. That was pretty amazing to watch, but I guess I was off base a bit there...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

Whoops, I thought maybe they played together over in Russia prior to the NHL...I guess other than the Olympics and some other International play, they haven't really played too much more together. I do remember watching the last Olympics with a line of Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Malkin. That was pretty amazing to watch, but I guess I was off base a bit there...

Unless I'm mistaken, Datsyuk was playing with Malkin and Ovechkin for much of the tournament.

Unless I'm mistaken, Datsyuk was playing with Malkin and Ovechkin for much of the tournament.

That may be, but I do remember Kovi being out with them as well, maybe on the PP, because that is what I pictured in my head when I typed that in the first place...

Guest The Axe

Vinny is a more likely buyout candidate, and I'd love to see that guy hit the market.

What if Bobby Ryan is bought out?

Guest The Axe

Haha, I have a feeling you could keep going with this all day long.

;-)

The what if threads are making me laugh!

Hossa, Malkin, Kovalchuk...

These guys are Hall of Famers. Why would a team dump these kind of guys?

Do you think the Pens board has a thread that says "what if Zetterberg is bought out?!

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle!

;-)

The what if threads are making me laugh!

Hossa, Malkin, Kovalchuk...

These guys are Hall of Famers. Why would a team dump these kind of guys?

Why? To get under the cap? To avoid crippling cap hits if they retire early? Those lifetime contracts were great under the old rules, not so good now. You either get a 41 year old player with a $6M cap hit, or a retired player, who still has a cap hit on your books.

In Malkin's case, the pens have a choice - do they sacrifice Malkin to keep some of their depth, or keep Malkin, have $19M tied up in 2 players, and lose some depth.

Guest The Axe

Why? To get under the cap? To avoid crippling cap hits if they retire early? Those lifetime contracts were great under the old rules, not so good now. You either get a 41 year old player with a $6M cap hit, or a retired player, who still has a cap hit on your books.

In Malkin's case, the pens have a choice - do they sacrifice Malkin to keep some of their depth, or keep Malkin, have $19M tied up in 2 players, and lose some depth.

Look at the Ducks. 23 mil tied up in their top line. Pitts will do the same.

Jersey, more than Pit, has the tough decision to make. They only have 6 forwards signed and 6 defensemen. They do have $26M available, but again, that will disappear fast with some of the names they'd like to retain...either make a hard decision on Kovi, or hope for some hometown discounts...or just fill your roster with AHL players...That would be a ton of money to buyout Kovi, I do agree!