• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

These videos were posted some time ago, and they were filmed during the lockout, but nevertheless I found them interesting; it's always find it intriguing to see the daily life of a professional athlete, especially such a quiet guy as Kindl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFx3skb88us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFx3skb88us

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yeah I watched these earlier this year, they were really interesting.  I think the thing I liked the most was seeing just how hard these guys work in the off season.  It's no wonder that Kindl put on like 15 lbs of muscle in the off season.  Gives me a lot of hope for guys like Nyquist, Brunner, and Smith, who are all a bit skinny for their respective heights. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

brunner and nyquist better be working out there.

#4 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I actually know Kindl's girlfriend Debbie. Not too close but she's friends with some girls that I grew up with. Pretty cool girl, we actually watched game 2 against Anaheim at a bar with her and a bunch of other people. Kindl lives in downtown Royal Oak.

#5 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Kindl/Smith/Dekeyser

My 3 favourite guys.

#6 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Nice car :)  Didn't realise his English was that good either.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#7 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Nice car :)  Didn't realise his English was that good either.

A lot of the NHL's Czechs speak excellent English. Perhaps it is a mandatory subject in schools there.

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

Its odd because eastern europeans - Poles, Russians etc - normally struggle with English (the slavic languages), whereas northern Europeans are usually the ones with excellent English - Germans, Dutch, the Scandanavians.

I would say its because of the our common language heritage, but only 1/3 of English is old english, which is saxon in origin.  The other 2/3 is a mixture of French and Latin.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

A lot of the NHL's Czechs speak excellent English. Perhaps it is a mandatory subject in schools there.

The Czechs have Dom Hasek...The Swedes have Tomas Holmstrom - :lol:

I'd say the Swedes have the edge when it comes with adapting to the American/Canadian culture, along with learning the English language...Either way many European kids these days that hope to play in the NHL have some command of the language before they arrive here...Quite impressive. 

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#10 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Kindl/Smith/Dekeyser

My 3 favourite guys.

What about Emdog? :P

No love for any of our forwards?

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

What about Emdog? :P

No love for any of our forwards?

Smith, Kindl, Dekeyser, Datsyuk, Emdog, Zata, Helm, Ericsson, Quincey, Nyquist.

Starting to re-evaluate Miller. His hits + points per minute of ice time per dollar paid stat is the best on the team.