• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

CHL moving to ban European goalies

Rate this topic

When are they going to ban European forwards? I bet Cherry is on board with that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673607

A change in the rules of the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft could bring an end to European goalies playing junior hockey in the league.

The annual import draft is a two-round process that allows the 60 teams in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League and Western Hockey League to pick the best junior-age European talent. Each team is restricted to two European players on its roster.

However, for the 2013 CHL Import Draft, which will be held later this summer, teams can select only goaltenders in the first round.

Starting with the 2014 import draft, goalies will be banned from the selection process and will have no other way to become eligible to play in the league. However, the two-player European limit will remain.

The ban would not apply to European goalies already playing in the CHL. They will be allowed to remain with their teams and finish their junior eligibility.

The move is seen by some as a response to Canada's recent inability to develop top-notch goaltenders. For the first time this year, all three finalists for the Vezina Trophy are European.

Poor goaltending has been blamed for Canada not winning a World Junior Championship gold medal since 2009; the CHL goaltender of year was awarded to Czech-born Patrik Bartosak of the Red Deer Rebels; the last time a Canadian-born goalie was the first at his position picked in the NHL Draft was 2008; and in the past five NHL drafts, three Canadian-born goalies have been first-round picks.

"For me, it's all about opportunity,” Ron Tugnutt, a former NHL goalie who spent the past few seasons working as Hockey Canada's goaltending consultant, told The (Toronto) Star on May 30. "There's nothing wrong with goalies in our country and there's nothing wrong with how we're developing them. They're just not getting a chance to step up to the plate."

When are they going to ban European forwards? I bet Cherry is on board with that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673607

OMG waahh waaaah waaah CHL. Here's your tissue. If you want to develop your goalies, start developing them younger then.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

So because European tenders are selected instead of Canadian ones they are making a rule basically forcing teams to pick Canadian ones even though they might not be as good or as qualified as the European tenders? Smells like Affirmative Action and Diversity laws here in the states. Two thumbs down CHL.

esteef

So because European tenders are selected instead of Canadian ones they are making a rule basically forcing teams to pick Canadian ones even though they might not be as good or as qualified as the European tenders? Smells like Affirmative Action and Diversity laws here in the states. Two thumbs down CHL.

esteef

It's actually much worse than affirmative action cause at least that is put in place to help struggling people make money to help them live. This is a sport that is fully based on who is more skilled, and the most skilled get to play. This rule is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves. Beyond ridiculous

whoever came up with this regulation, think it's going to help then develop good canadian goalies.

but it would result exactly opposite. who needs to work HARDER, if you're almost guaranteed a spot in a roster?

In a few years, there would be no young canadian golies in the nhl.

Someone who already has already recognized this situation, offering a more diplomatic observation; from Toronto Star:

Steve Yzerman — Team Canada’s general manager for the2014 Sochi Winter Olympics — stopped short of calling the situation with Canadian goaltending a crisis, but he agreed that something needs to be done to shore up Canada’s netminding.

His idea: copy what European countries are doing.

“It’s definitely worth looking into,” said Yzerman. “Look at Sweden, Finland, small countries seem to be producing goalies. We should be studying what they are doing. Why (do they have) so many goalies? Their techniques. Their system. We should look at it to try to get better.

“We have to. (If) you always do the same thing over and over, you’re going to get passed by. It definitely should be considered.

“Not just goaltending, but everything. These international events, we want to win them. It’s unrealistic to expect we’re going to win them every time. We have to deal with that. That forces us to look at all these things: Is there a better way to do it? Everybody else has gotten better. We’ve got to figure out a way to get even, or get ahead again.”

No better way to develop young players than to force them to play against substandard goalies. Hurray for the CHL, now young canadian forwards can get used to scoring on the likes of Malcolm Subban and never know what it's like to play against a real goalie until they hit the AHL.

So because European tenders are selected instead of Canadian ones they are making a rule basically forcing teams to pick Canadian ones even though they might I not be as good or as qualified as the European tenders? Smells like Affirmative Action and Diversity laws here in the states. Two thumbs down CHL.

esteef

For real though?!

.....Then gloat about the "resurgence" of Canadian Goaltenders haha, Im slighty ashamed by this tbh...

For real though?!

.....Then gloat about the "resurgence" of Canadian Goaltenders haha, Im slighty ashamed by this tbh...

We all should be. As any job in the world, the most qualified person should get the job, and it is not so in any workplace. And now the CHL? Guess we got Mrazek just in time.

Guest Johnz96

I hope saner minds prevail and that they reverse this decision before it is actually put into effect.
That is embarrasing.

Someone who already has already recognized this situation, offering a more diplomatic observation; from Toronto Star:

Steve Yzerman is a level headed individual and he should be the NHL commissioner. Maybe then the NHL and hockey in general will be in the spotlight for positive reasons.

Steve Yzerman is a level headed individual and he should be the NHL commissioner. Maybe then the NHL and hockey in general will be in the spotlight for positive reasons.

I love Stevie. I really do. But I don't think even he is strong enough to take on the evil that job involves.

I love Stevie. I really do. But I don't think even he is strong enough to take on the evil that job involves.

He'll rid the job of evil and do it the way it should be done. Maybe the CHL needs to be run by better candidates as well, as shown by the title of this thread. Absolute bush-league.

He'll rid the job of evil and do it the way it should be done.

I'm getting a little off topic here and so this will be the last thing I say about this. I would love to see that. I really would. And I say this with absolute seriousness and not a single morsel of sarcasm: I'd love to see Stevie Y just somehow take control over 30 owners each with billions, gagillions and faffillions amounts of money. It would be so awesome that the word 'miracle' wouldn't be enough to describe such an event.

As far as back on topic: Dey tuk r jabs!!!

I thought this was going to be about the OTHER CHL, which is a joke of a minor league. I'd believe that one.

No, its the combined big 3 Canadian Juniors.

:eh:

I can't imagine too many NHL GM's will be happy about this. See Petr Mrazek and his OHL stint. GM's don't care where the f-ing goaltenders come from, as long as they're produced.

What's next, no American's allowed to be in the CHL?

This should be the cue for all European players to exit the CHL immediately. Stand up for your fellow countrymen.

Boo Hoo CHL, what does your Va-J-J hurt? Does it stink that the top 5 goalies in the NHL are either American or European? Hey you still got Crawford...but he has the same label as Osgood. On that team, my grandma could be a Stanley Cup goalie...