• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

I thought his defense really improved throughout the year. By the time the playoffs came around his D looked adequate. He's not here to shut guys down, he's here to score goals.

I could definitely see him getting 2.5 or more elsewhere. Don't forget, quite a few (or at least a bunch) of teams were very, very interested in inking him. Didn't turn into an all-out bidding war, of course, but my rough impression is that that's because he was really keen on becoming a Wing. (Rose-colored retro-specs? Perhaps.)

The guy scored for us, was part of the minor revelation that was The Kid Line, showed he definitely belongs in the NHL, and will only get better. I do hope we can keep him.

P.S. Another plus: he's a Red Wing - and he didn't get injured! (!!!) (!!!!!) (!!!!!!!!!!!)

I love the guy. He went from next-to-zero travel and 40 games in Switzerland to the Western Conference grind and 97 combined games this season, and handled it more than admirably. He'll never be a great defensive player, but he hustles, he is a righty, seems like a good locker room guy, and he scores goals. What more do you want?

If this guy makes it to UFA because we don't want to commit more than $2.5 and a couple years, we'll be kicking ourselves. Get this done, Kenny.

I'm not too worried about his cap number, I'm more concerned with the length of his deal.

I wouldn't want to sign anything longer than 2 years unless he was giving the team a serious discount. A 1 year deal would be perfect even if it costs more in cap space, so we have the freedom to cut our losses should he not hold up over a full season.

If he has another good year I'd feel a lot more secure signing him to a long term deal.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_damien_brunner_looki.html

I really hope they resign him, but don't want him to turn into another Flip where his 'upside' is always being waited on. $2.5 sounds like a bit much. Can he really command more than that in the FA market?

Consider it was his first year in the NHL on the big ice, with more travel and physical play and he successfully went through some personal adversity and came back strong in the play offs.... sounds like 3 million dollar keeper to me. I think he will only get better, and he was pretty good already.

...and he has a wicked nose!

Consider it was his first year in the NHL on the big ice, with more travel and physical play and he successfully went through some personal adversity and came back strong in the play offs.... sounds like 3 million dollar keeper to me. I think he will only get better, and he was pretty good already.

...and he has a wicked nose!

I definitely embraced the flashes of Sergei-like frosted tips he had during the playoffs.

I hope we ink him too. I also think that it's not impossible for Brunner to be offered as much as 4 million somewhere else. A raw goal scorer is rare, and after the season he just went through he could very well blow the roof off next year-or not, but with that being said I hope he takes a "discount" to stay with us instead of taking the $ and running to the islanders or flames for 5 a year or something retarded...

I can't believe the numbers you guys are throwin out. Compare him and his scoring to Hudler and then consider Hudler got 4 yrs @ $4m per on the open market.

Guys that primarily put the puck into the net are the hard one's to find.

This. Good luck offering your top goal-scorer in the playoffs and 3rd best goal-scorer in the regular season (all during his first North American action mind you) right-handed shot soon-to-be UFA $1.5M-2M... kiss that one goodbye.

This. Good luck offering your top goal-scorer in the playoffs and 3rd best goal-scorer in the regular season (all during his first North American action mind you) right-handed shot soon-to-be UFA $1.5M-2M... kiss that one goodbye.

If it were up to me, I'd give him pretty much whatever he wants. (Within reason.)

His schnoz alone is worth about 1.5.

Guest The Axe

2 mil for hockey, .5 mil for coolness. 5 years, 12.5 mil with a 2.5 mil kicker for 175 goals or more during those 5 years (regular + playoff seasons included).

2 mil for hockey, .5 mil for coolness. 5 years, 12.5 mil with a 2.5 mil kicker for 175 goals or more during those 5 years (regular + playoff seasons included).

I like this. He is definitely worth an extra .5 for his funny awkwardness.

I can't believe the numbers you guys are throwin out. Compare him and his scoring to Hudler and then consider Hudler got 4 yrs @ $4m per on the open market.

Guys that primarily put the puck into the net are the hard one's to find.

He played half a season. We don't know what we're comparing yet.

I'd give him a two year deal for 2.25m to prove himself.

Because of his short time in NA he is deemed "high risk, high reward" when you talk 3-4 mil per year. Something however, tells me that he may not be as high risk as some may think. I don't know, talking out my ass. Just think he is worth a little extra if need be. My perfect scenario, as with others is 2.5-3 mil per year for 2 years.

Edited by Marty Barry

I was curious if everyone is still in the old cap level mindset? When we talk about 2 or 2.5 or 4 mil players of the past few years, I think with the whole cap being reduced by 6 mil, everyone needs to adjust those numbers (including the players and their agents).