• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

$3.5M per...that's too much.I'd take him over Cleary,but he had one good season so 2.5-3M per sounds like a reasonable offer. One step at time boy,take a note from Flip and Weiss and you could earn a big contract even at the age of 30.

Guest The Axe

I hope some team picks him up for one year at 4 mil and he fails miserably. Then we reaquire him for 5 years at 2.5 mil per after Sammy and Bert are gone.

Ever since Yzerman transformed into the 2 way genius, everyone is expecting pure forwards/goalscorers to become superb two-way players, guys like Toews, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the exception not the norm. So expecting people with less god given talent to have such a great two-way game is just asking too much. if the guy can score around 30 - 35 goals a year I couldn't give less about his defensive responsibilities, primarely this should be the job of the defenders.

Did I fall asleep and miss when Brunner proved himself to be a 30 - 35 goal scorer? Maybe that's why no one has given him $3.5 million per year yet.

Also, I think your thought process on forwards lacking defensive responsibilities is a complete joke. Forwards have different defensive responsibilities than defenseman, but the difference is not negligible enough to where we should "give less" whether they play defense or not. I think that "primarily this should be the job of the defenders" is a flawed statement. Defense is an entire team effort and just because you put the puck in the net on one side of the ice doesn't mean you don't have to do anything on the other side.

That said, I don't hate Brunner. And, I think that, given some more time playing NA hockey, he could improve his game to become a more complete player. But, he was a hefty part of the reason Tatar was held back last season. And, if he was re-signed, it seems like the Red Wings would be forced into doing that again. Tatar has earned his shot at a full season. He has to have a full chance to show what he can do, in my opinion. And I don't think he gets that if Brunner is still on the roster. I like Brunner and wish him well, but he just doesn't have a spot here anymore. Thing is, he could have had one.... but he didn't want it.

Brunner has the most deadly shot on the team. It seemed like 50% of his goals last year were terrific snipes that were placed just right, places other shooters would have been less likely to hit in the heat of battle.

And close in around the net, others just jamb away but he lifts it up and through holes.

His defense is underrated. He is good with his stick, can thief from behind, poke and agitate well, and the smaller ice is much easier for him to cut off passing lanes than it was in Europe.

Too often people mistake skating slowly through shooting lanes for floating. He is not the guy you want mucking for pucks in the corner. He is the guy that finds open shooting angles so the corner mucker can get the puck out to him for a one timer.

Even when he has struggled and been ineffective and shut down all game long, he can find that open part of the ice in the chaos of the game's last minute of play, and bury the puck in the back of the net better than anyone else on the team.

While Nyquist, Tatar, and Brunner are very similar players, they are not carbon copy's of each other. They each have unique strengths and all add value to this team. But noboby has a deadly and confident shot like Damian Brunner, and at the end of the game, it's all about getting goals in the net. We need a guy who's primary obsession in life is to score goals, and he is it, and at a pretty good price.

Edited by T.Low

Guest The Axe

Brunner has the most deadly shot on the team. It seemed like 50% of his goals last year were terrific snipes that were placed just right, places other shooters would have been less likely to hit.

And close in around the net, others just jamb away but he lifts it up and through holes.

His defense is underrated. He is good with his stick, can thief behind, poke and agitate well, and the smaller ice is much easier for him to cut off passing lanes than it was in Europe.

Too often people mistake skating slowly through shooting lanes for floating. He is not the guy you want mucking for pucks in the corner. He is the guy that finds open shooting angles so the corner mucker can get the puck out to him for a one timer.

Even when he has struggled and been ineffective and shut down all game long, he can find that open part of the ice in the chaos of the game's last minute of play, and bury the puck in the back of the net better than anyone else on the team.

While Nyquist, Tatar, and Brunner are very similar players, they are not carbon copy's of each other. They each have unique strengths and all add value to this team.

Brunner is expendable. We dont need him. It would be nice to have him, but we dont have room.

Brunner has the most deadly shot on the team. It seemed like 50% of his goals last year were terrific snipes that were placed just right, places other shooters would have been less likely to hit.

His defense is underrated. He is good with his stick, can thief behind, poke and agitate well, and the smaller ice is much easier for him to cut off passing lanes than it was in Europe.

While Nyquist, Tatar, and Brunner are very similar players, they are not carbon copy's of each other. They each have unique strengths and all add value to this team.

I agree with all of this. I feel Nyquist Tatar Brunner are all totally different players with different skill sets. Nyquist has the playmaking ability and vision similar to Dastyuk (only other player on our team that natural at it game in and game out) Tatar is hard on the puck and bangs in goals like Crosby does, some are garbage goals some are pretty. Brunner has speed, good hands and a f*cking bullet of a shot. All three different and all three important.

Guest The Axe

Kulfan believes Brunner's number is closer to $4.0 mil...

"Hitting the free-agent market Friday, Brunner is expected to find a team this week that will sign him for a multi-year contract worth close to $4 million annually.""

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130707/SPORTS0103/307070029#ixzz2YO4XLtmj

I hope Calcaru signs Brunner and Cleary.

Hudler-Cleary-Brunner.

Pure Dominance.

Brunner is expendable. We dont need him. It would be nice to have him, but we dont have room.

You keep saying the same thing over and over, we get it you're not his biggest fan. But you are not responding with anything of value. You just say Brunner is expendable after a long analysis of why he isn't a proper response would give reasons why you think he is expendable. Otherwise your comments are completely and utterly useless

Guest The Axe

You keep saying the same thing over and over, we get it you're not his biggest fan. But you are not responding with anything of value. You just say Brunner is expendable after a long analysis of why he isn't a proper response would give reasons why you think he is expendable. Otherwise your comments are completely and utterly useless

Ok. I will explain:

Alfredsson is signed, making Brunner expendable.

You dont need to be a rocket scientist or even a sesquipedalian to understand why Brunner is now expendable. It's quite an easy concept.

While I don't necessarily agree that Brunner is "expendable", I do believe he is highly replaceable. I know they're not right-handed shots, but I think Nyquist and/or Tatar will be able to provide some much needed depth. Depending on which bodies are moved out, one or both of them are going to be able to put up some points.

As mentioned, Alfie and Weiss are going to add some serious offensive as well. It might just be optimism on paper, but I really feel like the PP and overall offensive game of this team is turning around big time. Saw something mentioned about a Z-D-Mule, Kronner-Alfie powerplay unit... tell me that doesn't scream offensive. I think it'll be highly effective, especially if Alfie can run along the half-boards on his off-wing.

Guest Playmaker

It's only 2 days after the start of FA, I don't think it's too late. This is normal, the big fish go first, and it's takes longer for the dust to settle and the other FA's to sign. I like Brunner, but I don't think he's proven enough in the short time he's been in the NHL to demand a long term deal between 3-4 million. Tatar is more than a suitable replacement.

It's only 2 days after the start of FA, I don't think it's too late. This is normal, the big fish go first, and it's takes longer for the dust to settle and the other FA's to sign. I like Brunner, but I don't think he's proven enough in the short time he's been in the NHL to demand a long term deal between 3-4 million. Tatar is more than a suitable replacement.

Agreed. Not sure whats up with this guy, coming over, playing HALF A SEASON and then acting like he's the big s***.

Go get Garth Snow to throw money at you if thats how you want to play it.

Agreed. Not sure whats up with this guy, coming over, playing HALF A SEASON and then acting like he's the big s***.

Go get Garth Snow to throw money at you if thats how you want to play it.

Well, currently the Islanders have about $22 million in cap space so I wouldn't call it out of the question.

I also think it's hilarious that they still owe Alexei Yashin $2.2 mil for the next TWO seasons!

At first I thought if both sides would give a little: Wings + 0,25 to their best offer and Brunners camp minus 0,25 from their demands a deal could be reached, but if he is reall pushing for around 4 m per than sorry, but thats ridiculous and I really like him.

If I were Holland, I'd offer 3,25 x 3 take it or leave it.

Why doesn't Holland just increase the offer by taking money away from that Cleary contract he was planning on burdening the team with?

I'd rather have Brunner for an overpayment than have him for 2.5, plus Cleary for whatever the hell he was offered.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Why doesn't Holland just increase the offer by taking money away from that Cleary contract he was planning on burdening the team with?

I'd rather have Brunner for an overpayment than have him for 2.5, plus Cleary for whatever the hell he was offered.

Great idea just increase the damn offer a bit and sign this guy, he should easily be the top priority right now. If the Wings lose him and re-sign Cleary it would be stupid.

Great idea just increase the damn offer a bit and sign this guy, he should easily be the top priority right now. If the Wings lose him and re-sign Cleary it would be stupid.

Although I wonder how much of Holland pursuing Cleary has to do with Brunner not coming back?

Signing both Brunner and Cleary would have been stupid to begin with. Too much cap room wasted.

In any case Brunner not returning doesn't mean Holland should go after the ugliest girl at the bar.

Although I wonder how much of Holland pursuing Cleary has to do with Brunner not coming back?

Signing both Brunner and Cleary would have been stupid to begin with. Too much cap room wasted.

In any case Brunner not returning doesn't mean Holland should go after the ugliest girl at the bar.

The thing is this should have been done some weeks ago why did he wait so long. It is not like the Wings played till January...if Brunner goes I hope he signs with the Islanders they are a young and coming team him and Tavares would be deadly

Brunner lost his chance with the Wings when they signed Weiss and Alfie. They no longer have the cap space. And $4M? Forget it.

They will have to shed cap space just to sign Anderson and Nyquist. Brunner and Cleary both blew their chances, now they will end up signing with non-playoff teams.

Brunner was a gamble anyway. He's not tough and not good defensively. Best case, he would need to improve his game considerably and who knows if he could last and entire season.

Move on.

f1873ea11d78bece7550d9b5096378fb_normal.

SwissHockeyNews
about 4 hours ago

Rumour | Both the Buffalo #Sabres and the Florida #Panthers seem to be interested in signing Damien #Brunner.

And, as you know..

2wyqyrb9uxl8zapdofwv_normal.jpeg

georgemalik
about 5 hours ago

Afternoon post updated 4x: @tkulfan believes that Damien Brunner will ink a $4 million contract this week! http://t.co/2u03hglthy

Edited by FireCaptain