• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

Trade Sammy and Quiency, and a 2nd round pick to the Islanders for a 7th round pick.

I suppose the reality is that the Wings are going to have to do a deal like this just in order to dump Sammy off on someone else.

Guest Crymson

Trade Sammy and Quiency, and a 2nd round pick to the Islanders for a 7th round pick. Sign Brunner for 4 years at 2.5 per. DONE.

Brunner wants $3-3.5m (depending on the source) and a top-six role, neither of which he is going to get from the Wings.

Also, given that Quincey is signed for only one more season, carries an affordable cap hit, and is a serviceable defenseman, and given that, having bought out Colaiacovo, there is currently nobody available to replace him, unloading him would be stupid.

Edited by Crymson

Brunner wants $3-3.5m (depending on the source) and a top-six role, neither of which he is going to get from the Wings.

Also, given that Quincey is signed for only one more season, carries an affordable cap hit, and is a serviceable defenseman, and given that, having bought out Colaiacovo, there is currently nobody available to replace him, unloading him would be stupid.

Agreed, Quincey is going nowhere. If the Wings were to unload a d-man, the most likely candidate would be Lashoff who's out of waiver exemptions & will be a #7 at best with the current line-up once Smith re-signs.

Edited by ogreslayer

What you are missing is that before noon on the first day of free agency, Brunner told the Wing's management he was testing the waters and turned down their offers.

That means before the free agency period even began, he told Holland he was going to entertain other offers.

So in your opinion, should Holland have waited to see what Brunner was going to do while other players signed with other teams?

So now instead of being pissed at him for not signing Brunner you are changing your tune to, well he shouldn't have offered Alfredsson the one 1 deal?

A guy who would have been tied with Brunner last season in points, a mere two goals behind him.

Unless Holland came out and absolutely WOWED Brunner's agent with a 5 year 4 mil offer Brunner was going to test the market.

There are reports out there that he is looking for 4 mil a year.

For a guy with a half of a season in the NHL who didn't even get a sniff of the NHL until he was 27!

Okay no, I was mad at the Alfredsson signing from the beginning. I don't think he should have wasted the Wings cap space on a 40 year old for 1 year. He could have signed someone else for more years at that price. If Brunner told them he didn't want to sign then Holland should have looked at what we NEEDED and not a veteran that we don't need. Brunner could have been offered 3.5 million for 4 years. Holland didn't offer him that though, reports had him offering lower amount for same years.

3.5 mil with 2 mil in incentives

Yes you are right. I meant that but wrote it wrong, 5.5 mil TOTAL if he does well.

I like Brunner, and honestly I am surprised that he hasn't come to the realization that we made him a fair offer and signed on. I don't see a team making him a better offer than we have at this point. He always seemed like he loved being in Detroit. Apparently he still believes that someone is going to come along and wow him with an offer, but I just don't see it happening. If this all hinges on his top 6 status, then I don't want the guy anyway.. I want a guy that is not scared to earn his spot.

All that said, if he is not resigned, I have no concerns at all that Tatar is a perfectly fine replacement. I actually really like what I saw from him in spots last year and was surprised when they sent him back down. I think that a 3rd line of Tatar/Helm/Nyquist would be one of the most exciting lines to watch. The combination and speed and skill on that line would be a potential nightmare.. Having a 3rd line that can create mismatches is the difference between championship teams and the rest.

I am concerned about how they will handle the Sammy and Bert situation. I don't mind having Bert around as the guy that can help cover injuries, or be the muscle when we need it (Same with TooToo, who I think will have a role at times) , but Sammy is just a waste of space on the roster and money. I don't see him as a fit with any line at all. I will be very interested to see how that works out.

Looks like he might be headed to NJ.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_pursuing_red_wings_damien_brunner/

The Devils appear to be closing in on signing unrestricted free agent forward Damien Brunner, according to a report out of Switzerland.

Nicola Berger of the Swiss newspaper Neue Luzerner Zeitung reported this morning that Brunner “appears to be headed” to the Devils and “they’re doing a lot of background work on him right now.” The 27-year-old native of Zurich Switzerland had 12 goals and 14 assists in 44 regular seaosn games for the Red Wings last season. He added five goals and four assists in 14 playoff games.Prior to joining the Red Wings after the owners’ lockout, Brunner (5-11, 184 pounds) had 25 goals and 32 assists in 33 games for Zug in Switzerland in 2012-13.Brunner was 2-for-7 on shootouts with two game-deciding goals in 2012-13.
Edited by SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Okay no, I was mad at the Alfredsson signing from the beginning. I don't think he should have wasted the Wings cap space on a 40 year old for 1 year. He could have signed someone else for more years at that price. If Brunner told them he didn't want to sign then Holland should have looked at what we NEEDED and not a veteran that we don't need. Brunner could have been offered 3.5 million for 4 years. Holland didn't offer him that though, reports had him offering lower amount for same years.

Yes you are right. I meant that but wrote it wrong, 5.5 mil TOTAL if he does well.

So you are mad at Alfie's age, since his production is on par with Brunner, he is defensively more responsible and is a right handed shot, plus is a vet leader on a team that is starting to get young, and a proven power play commodity.

The bonus part I am not so happy with, seeing as that brings him up to 5.5.

But I personally would much rather have Alfie for 1 (most likely 2) years of cap hit that a Lecavalier who is already beginning his decline, for 5 years. That deal is going to look horrible after 3 years, IMO.

I agree, a 41 year old is sometimes a tough pill to swallow.

But as I have said in this thread, IMO this is not the Modano signing, a guy barely hanging on to his spot and simply passed over by his old team because he just isn't that good anymore.

Alfie is closer to Selanne/Lids in that regard, I truly think Alfie has 2 more very productive seasons left in him.

Edited by Opie

Torn about this... would have liked to see another year or two of Brunner on the team, but I don't know where you fit him in.

Glut of forwards. Two UFA signings. Still too many forwards!!

Two RFAs that NEED to be re-signed. ...and we'll STILL have too many forwards.

Even if Helm and Bert start off the season on LITR. TOO MANY FORWARDS.

We need a trade, another buyout, and no more FORWARDS! (That means you Danny Cleary!)

Even though it's not official yet, twitter is saying the contract has already been verbally agreed on, they just need to get together and sign on the dotted line. So now that we know he's devil, we can now say that Brunner really f***ed up. Now if he had turned Kenny's offer down and signed with a contender for more $ that would make some sense. But for just 500k-1M more he goes from a Cup contender to a non-playoff bottom feeder, that has done nothing but get worse (first Parise, then Clarkson, now Kovy) not to mention an aging, shell of his former self Brodeur who will surely retire after the season. Great move Damien. Hope you're into golf, cause you'll be able to hit the links right after the last day of the regular season

Hopefully it's a 1-2 year contract where ever he signs. I'd love to have him back here one day..

Edit: one day soon** like before he's 30+. yeaahh, I'm looking at you Kenny :P

Don't know if anyone will get this. But I was listening to the backhand shelf podcast the other day and they had a pretty cool nick name for him.

Home Star Brunner

Lol good jorb there home star

Edited by amato

Even though it's not official yet, twitter is saying the contract has already been verbally agreed on, they just need to get together and sign on the dotted line. So now that we know he's devil, we can now say that Brunner really f***ed up. Now if he had turned Kenny's offer down and signed with a contender for more $ that would make some sense. But for just 500k-1M more he goes from a Cup contender to a non-playoff bottom feeder, that has done nothing but get worse (first Parise, then Clarkson, now Kovy) not to mention an aging, shell of his former self Brodeur who will surely retire after the season. Great move Damien. Hope you're into golf, cause you'll be able to hit the links right after the last day of the regular season

Dear Damien,

tumblr_lnopp9UXmu1qzk2upo1_500_zps91778d

tumblr_mmql0dM6rd1qmxhobo1_500_zpsb64226

tumblr_m4e7dw54Md1rqfhi2o1_250_zps3a4e0d

Enjoy being a footnote in Red Wings history.

Meh, who cares? I liked him an all, and would probably prefer him for 3 years over Alfie for 1-2, but the Red Wings have some scoring coming their way soon. Tatar and Nyquist are here, Jurco, Frk, Pulkkinen are on their way and someone like Tvrdon could be a dark horse and surprise people with his goal scoring ability.

Good luck to the guy - just not against the Wings ;)