• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

If he wanted to go back to Europe he'd have signed there by now. I just think he truly believes he's worth more than he's been offered.

Brunner is definitely a valuable player to just about any team, but he better not have his head in the clouds.

If he wanted to go back to Europe he'd have signed there by now. I just think he truly believes he's worth more than he's been offered.

I think what is offered has a little more to do with icetime than it does dollars and years. From what I've read, the big priority for Brunner is a top-six spot. He wants to be valuable and indispensable to whatever team he lands on. If he can do that, he has confidence that his contributions will eventually earn him the money and security.

I'm not saying he isn't thinking about the money or term in this contract, but the guy wants to be a top-six scorer in the NHL first and foremost (by all accounts). I can't fault the guy for that.

Guest DeGraa55

I think what is offered has a little more to do with icetime than it does dollars and years. From what I've read, the big priority for Brunner is a top-six spot. He wants to be valuable and indispensable to whatever team he lands on. If he can do that, he has confidence that his contributions will eventually earn him the money and security.

I'm not saying he isn't thinking about the money or term in this contract, but the guy wants to be a top-six scorer in the NHL first and foremost (by all accounts). I can't fault the guy for that.

See and if this was the case and he would sign for 3m instead of the rumors I've heard of 4m I'd take him over Alfie. Brunner has the potential to be a long term asset as a goal scorer.

See and if this was the case and he would sign for 3m instead of the rumors I've heard of 4m I'd take him over Alfie. Brunner has the potential to be a long term asset as a goal scorer.

Same here, Alfie as great as he was is not a longtime solution Brunner could have been one AND is also cheaper.

Guest The Axe

Same here, Alfie as great as he was is not a longtime solution Brunner could have been one AND is also cheaper.

Brunner is tiny and weak

Guest Crymson

He also has the potential to be a bust. He has one good season under his belt, and through it he exhibited brutal inconsistency even when playing alongside two of the best centers in the world.

... and this would have meant promising him a top-six role that, as he proved through his own play, he does not deserve and cannot perform adequately in.

Guest DeGraa55

Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Pulk and the rest of their prospects are the long term solution.

Most of them would be after a three year deal to Brunner would've been done anyways.

He also has the potential to be a bust. He has one good season under his belt, and through it he exhibited brutal inconsistency even when playing alongside two of the best centers in the world.

... and this would have meant promising him a top-six role that, as he proved through his own play, he does not deserve and cannot perform adequately in.

But he isn't a bust you know what he can and can't do. He can score and will score which we need. He doesn't play defense or provide leadership but we have plenty of that he doesn't hit or fight which is something we need....but I've accepted ilk have to wait another year for that.

Can't blame Holland neither.He has two prospects(Nyquist and Tatar) as good as Brunner that were busting their ass in the AHL for years just to see the 3rd line minutes.

Brunner is a good player no doubt,but to guarantee him top 6 spot after an inconsistent season would send a bad message to the rest of our prospects group.

Guest The Axe

Can't blame Holland neither.He has two prospects(Nyquist and Tatar) as good as Brunner that were busting their ass in the AHL for years just to see the 3rd line minutes.

Brunner is a good player no doubt,but to guarantee him top 6 spot after an inconsistent season would send a bad message to the rest of our prospects group.

Great post. Brunner didnt wow.

Guest Crymson

But he isn't a bust you know what he can and can't do. He can score and will score which we need. He doesn't play defense or provide leadership but we have plenty of that he doesn't hit or fight which is something we need....but I've accepted ilk have to wait another year for that.

Fabian Brunnstrom had a higher goals-per-game average than Brunner in his own rookie season, and he did it without Datsyuk or Zetterberg. He was in the AHL the next season. So no, we don't know what he can do. Nothing is certain, especially for late entries into the NHL.

Guest Crymson

Actually, we do know what he can do. What we don't know is if he will improve or do it on a consistent basis, or if his ego can handle being a secondary guy instead of the star.

Just like Dallas "knew" what Brunnstrom could do.

Actually, we do know what he can do. What we don't know is if he will improve or do it on a consistent basis, or if his ego can handle being a secondary guy instead of the star.

Just like Dallas "knew" what Brunnstrom could do.

I think you missed the point. Can do and will do are different things or there would be no draft mistakes. Brunner can be a legit 25-30 goal guy. He might not do it though.

3 thoughts on that article.

If Brunner is patient I think he can get close to what he wants on a short term deal once teams have more time to evaluate what they have internally.

Cap space isn't an issue for the Wings. They can go over cap until the end of camp and even after they sign Andersson and Nyquist they'll be OK.

I don't think they re-sign Cleary unless they can swing a deal that sends out Samuelsson and Tootoo or Eaves.

Guest Crymson

Him not signing anywhere "yet" is a good sign.

Or is it?

Holland has said the team as it stands now is very likely the team that will hit the ice in October.

Or is it?

It seems like most teams are taking their time signing guys at this point, but based on what Holland has already said it doesn't sound like Brunner is a possibility even if the Wings were to clear a roster spot.

Or is it?

I understand the logic, but the reality is that basically nobody is signing now. There was that huge spending orgy on July 5th, likely spurred by the two-day negotiating period, and then teams took a look at their cap situations and have done basically nothing since. Derek Roy (on July 6th) is the only guy to get a contract TOTALING more than $2 million after the first day, and that was just a terrible overpay on a one-year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

Brunner picked a really bad year to "test the market" unless he had clear signals from at least one other team that they were close. Even then, Brunner is more of a "Plan B" type of signing. With limited cap money, I don't think any team's plan for the offseason revolves around a "show me" deal for a guy with that kind of track record.

Still, I never expected it to go this long, and certainly didn't expect a Brunner free agency thread to stretch to 39 pages! Are his opportunities limited to the Devils or Switzerland now? (Or a dramatic reduction in price).