• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#761 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

See and if this was the case and he would sign for 3m instead of the rumors I've heard of 4m I'd take him over Alfie. Brunner has the potential to be a long term asset as a goal scorer.

He also has the potential to be a bust. He has one good season under his belt, and through it he exhibited brutal inconsistency even when playing alongside two of the best centers in the world.

Same here, Alfie as great as he was is not a longtime solution Brunner could have been one AND is also cheaper.

... and this would have meant promising him a top-six role that, as he proved through his own play, he does not deserve and cannot perform adequately in.

#762 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Pulk and the rest of their prospects are the long term solution.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#763 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Pulk and the rest of their prospects are the long term solution.

Most of them would be after a three year deal to Brunner would've been done anyways.

He also has the potential to be a bust. He has one good season under his belt, and through it he exhibited brutal inconsistency even when playing alongside two of the best centers in the world.

... and this would have meant promising him a top-six role that, as he proved through his own play, he does not deserve and cannot perform adequately in.

But he isn't a bust you know what he can and can't do. He can score and will score which we need. He doesn't play defense or provide leadership but we have plenty of that he doesn't hit or fight which is something we need....but I've accepted ilk have to wait another year for that.

#764 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm not saying he isn't thinking about the money or term in this contract, but the guy wants to be a top-six scorer in the NHL first and foremost (by all accounts). I can't fault the guy for that.

Can't blame Holland neither.He has two prospects(Nyquist and Tatar) as good as Brunner that were busting their ass in the AHL for years just to see the 3rd line minutes.

Brunner is a good player no doubt,but to guarantee him top 6 spot after an inconsistent season would send a bad message to the rest of our prospects group.

#765 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Can't blame Holland neither.He has two prospects(Nyquist and Tatar) as good as Brunner that were busting their ass in the AHL for years just to see the 3rd line minutes.

Brunner is a good player no doubt,but to guarantee him top 6 spot after an inconsistent season would send a bad message to the rest of our prospects group.

Great post. Brunner didnt wow.

#766 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

But he isn't a bust you know what he can and can't do. He can score and will score which we need. He doesn't play defense or provide leadership but we have plenty of that he doesn't hit or fight which is something we need....but I've accepted ilk have to wait another year for that.

Fabian Brunnstrom had a higher goals-per-game average than Brunner in his own rookie season, and he did it without Datsyuk or Zetterberg. He was in the AHL the next season. So no, we don't know what he can do. Nothing is certain, especially for late entries into the NHL.

#767 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Actually, we do know what he can do. What we don't know is if he will improve or do it on a consistent basis, or if his ego can handle being a secondary guy instead of the star.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#768 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Actually, we do know what he can do. What we don't know is if he will improve or do it on a consistent basis, or if his ego can handle being a secondary guy instead of the star.

Just like Dallas "knew" what Brunnstrom could do.

#769 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Just like Dallas "knew" what Brunnstrom could do.

I think you missed the point. Can do and will do are different things or there would be no draft mistakes. Brunner can be a legit 25-30 goal guy. He might not do it though.
  • Nev likes this

#770 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

@SchweizerSilvan: Story on Brunner: http://t.co/4ZbLiwilXA

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#771 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

@SchweizerSilvan: Story on Brunner: http://t.co/4ZbLiwilXA

I like that article, Brunner may have to wait with the cap going down and most teams already filled out, his opporunities are shrinking. Sign for around 3,2 somewhere and then cash in next year, with a higher cap anda full season under your belt.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#772 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

3 thoughts on that article. If Brunner is patient I think he can get close to what he wants on a short term deal once teams have more time to evaluate what they have internally. Cap space isn't an issue for the Wings. They can go over cap until the end of camp and even after they sign Andersson and Nyquist they'll be OK. I don't think they re-sign Cleary unless they can swing a deal that sends out Samuelsson and Tootoo or Eaves.

#773 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Dan Cleary, who has reportedly agreed to terms with the Wings but can’t officially sign until cap space has been cleared.

ERMAHGERD, CLERER! SERERSLER?

39929275.jpg

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#774 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Him not signing anywhere "yet" is a good sign.

Or is it?

#775 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

Or is it?

Holland has said the team as it stands now is very likely the team that will hit the ice in October.

#776 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Or is it?

It seems like most teams are taking their time signing guys at this point, but based on what Holland has already said it doesn't sound like Brunner is a possibility even if the Wings were to clear a roster spot. 

#777 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I hope this is wrong.

http://www.hockeywor...ard-free-agent/

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#778 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I hope this is wrong.

#779 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Or is it?

I understand the logic, but the reality is that basically nobody is signing now.  There was that huge spending orgy on July 5th, likely spurred by the two-day negotiating period, and then teams took a look at their cap situations and have done basically nothing since.  Derek Roy (on July 6th) is the only guy to get a contract TOTALING more than $2 million after the first day, and that was just a terrible overpay on a one-year deal. 

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ature/?id=25880

Brunner picked a really bad year to "test the market" unless he had clear signals from at least one other team that they were close.  Even then, Brunner is more of a "Plan B" type of signing.  With limited cap money, I don't think any team's plan for the offseason revolves around a "show me" deal for a guy with that kind of track record.

Still, I never expected it to go this long, and certainly didn't expect a Brunner free agency thread to stretch to 39 pages!  Are his opportunities limited to the Devils or Switzerland now?  (Or a dramatic reduction in price).

#780 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I hope this is wrong.

I think they could just delete the phrase "high risk high reward" from the title.  Then it'd be accurate.

I wanted Brunner back, but the more this has played out, the more I understand what's going on here.  If Brunner were just a career NHL in his late 20's as a free agent, is that the type of player the Wings would target, irrespective of price?  Probably not.  I really do think he can be a 20-goal scorer in the NHL, but he if he does it while offering no assistance to the PK and causing costly turnovers, that isn't the type of player the Wings want on their bottom 6.

Everybody compares him to Fabian Brunnstrom, but his career path could be more like Patrick Eaves.  Eaves scored 20 goals in 58 games as a rookie with Ottawa in 2005-06.  He never evolved into the finisher people hoped he would be, and had to learn how to be a useful defensive player to stay in the league.  The difference, of course, is that Detroit has paid him $500k to $1.2 million per year to do that, as opposed to the $3 million+ Brunner wants.