• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#821 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have to say, I believe that more often than not, good things happened when Tootoo was on the ice.  He had one hell of a finish to the season IMO.

He is not big enough.

#822 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

It's not his agent's fault Babcock doesn't play him enough.

It's also not his agent's fault for trying to get his client the best contract.  It's Holland's for overpaying for a 4th liner.  

Tootoo's TOI may have changed, but his skillset didn't.

#823 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

If Tootoo is overpaid it's not by much, and it's hard to get a free agent without overpaying a little. This isn't nearly as bad as some other recent contracts like Leino, Ehrhoff, Clarkson, and Clowe.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#824 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

It's also not his agent's fault for trying to get his client the best contract.  It's Holland's for overpaying for a 4th liner.  

So you would stick Tootoo on the 4th line and only pay him 900k. Where would you put Miller,Emmerton and  Eaves and how much would you pay each. Because in my eyes and I'm sure many more see Tootoo as bringing really more than any of these players and is getting paid accordingly. 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#825 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

So you would stick Tootoo on the 4th line and only pay him 900k. Where would you put Miller,Emmerton and  Eaves and how much would you pay each. Because in my eyes and I'm sure many more see Tootoo as bringing really more than any of these players and is getting paid accordingly. 

He doesn't bring more, just something different. And Eaves and Emmerton are both likely gone if everyone else is healthy

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#826 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

He doesn't bring more, just something different. And Eaves and Emmerton are both likely gone if everyone else is healthy

He fights for one thing. How is that not more than these 3? And thats a big thing that the wings were missing from our team. Like I said before he goes 110% on the ice when he is on the ice. More than I can say about Emmerton for sure. Out of the 3 Miller is the only one that comes sort of close to Tootoo.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#827 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well that's a different question about roster, not about Tootoo's salary. 

I agree with DickieDunn that he doesn't bring more, just different.  They can kill penalties and are much more defensively responsible.  In the regular season Miller was our top PK forward in terms of TOI per game,  Emmerton was 2nd.  In the playoffs it was Miller, Emmerton, with Eaves at 4th.  Freeing up Datsyuk's and Zetterberg PK minutes while still having a good penalty kill is already more valuable than the handful of staged fights Tootoo brings. 

In terms of roster though I do think they have too many guys who are too similar on the bottom lines.  It'd be great to bring more toughness, even if it means giving up a little bit of PK talent. 

And don't get me wrong I like that the Wings have guys who will hit and drop the gloves, but it doesn't change that compared to other guys with similar skills, Tootoo was overpaid by Holland.  

#828 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Agreed, Tootoo wasn't signed to be a 4th line guy with 4th line numbers and minutes like Carcillo at 900k...hence the 1.9 million contract. There was obviously some roster plan for him that didn't pan out either due to injuries or decision by Babcock. I'd like to see him play a full season on the Wings with some decent minutes before deciding if 1.9 million was an overpayment.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#829 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

:D I like how the Brunner Contract Talks thread got turned into a Tootoo debate! Is Tootoo the next Fedorov? You know how it always seems that Fedorov got brought up in every thread for a long time? :lol:

Anyhow, regarding Brunner, do we know if he has even gotten any interest from teams out there? I heard the New Jersey rumor, but has anything else come up?  I really hope he comes to his senses and just takes another contract from Detroit.  I know that would require losing a couple of players (and that is where the Tootoo debate came from I am sure) but if losing Sammy or Emmerton and keeping Brunner is the option, then I will take that.

When it comes down to Tootoo, I definitely believe he has a place on this team.  Again, if losing Emmy where the option, then I am all for it.  Plus, when it comes to value around the NHL and what type of draft pick or future consideration each one would bring, Emmy has more value.  On this team, after Andersson is signed, Emmy is redundant.

I just looked on capgeek and Holland has his work cut out for him.  Our updated cap space is ONLY just a tick over $1M...Nyquist and Andersson MUST be signed and I would still like to see Brunner come back.  But at the very least Nyquist and Andersson are going to cost us around $3M combined. So, that means another buyout and a trade or waiver for a couple of players.  My choices would be Sammy (if possible,) Quincey, Emmerton.

Bottom line for me, I would love to have Brunner back here (for the right price) and wouldn't mind sacrificing the above mentioned to do so...

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 July 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#830 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Brunner/Tootoo/Samuelsson/Eaves/Franzen for Stamkos.

#831 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

He fights for one thing. How is that not more than these 3? And thats a big thing that the wings were missing from our team. Like I said before he goes 110% on the ice when he is on the ice. More than I can say about Emmerton for sure. Out of the 3 Miller is the only one that comes sort of close to Tootoo.

I suppose it comes down to opinion.  He said "He doesn't bring more, just something different."  Fighting is something different, but not necessarily more.  Just like (from the opposite side of the discussion) one might say that killing penalties..... or not taking stupid penalties to put the team down a man.... or not going way out of position on a regular basis to make a hit.... or being able to play center... would be bringing "more" than Tootoo brings.  And, you might not see that as 'more,' but rather just something 'different.'

That said, I am indifferent on the Tootoo issue.  I like him fine because he provides some entertainment value.  However, I don't necessarily feel that he helps the team win more than Miller or Eaves.  And, he is paid more than Miller and Eaves.  Emmerton is a different comparison, but he plays center and is paid even less.  I'm fine either way... keep Tootoo or get rid of him.  He hasn't really been around long enough for me to associate a sense of loyalty with him.  I really still think of him as a Predator.

:D I like how the Brunner Contract Talks thread got turned into a Tootoo debate! Is Tootoo the next Fedorov? You know how it always seems that Fedorov got brought up in every thread for a long time? :lol:

Anyhow, regarding Brunner, do we know if he has even gotten any interest from teams out there? I heard the New Jersey rumor, but has anything else come up?  I really hope he comes to his senses and just takes another contract from Detroit.  I know that would require losing a couple of players (and that is where the Tootoo debate came from I am sure) but if losing Sammy or Emmerton and keeping Brunner is the option, then I will take that.

When it comes down to Tootoo, I definitely believe he has a place on this team.  Again, if losing Emmy where the option, then I am all for it.  Plus, when it comes to value around the NHL and what type of draft pick or future consideration each one would bring, Emmy has more value.  On this team, after Andersson is signed, Emmy is redundant.

I just looked on capgeek and Holland has his work cut out for him.  Our updated cap space is ONLY just a tick over $1M...Nyquist and Andersson MUST be signed and I would still like to see Brunner come back.  But at the very least Nyquist and Andersson are going to cost us around $3M combined. So, that means another buyout and a trade or waiver for a couple of players.  My choices would be Sammy (if possible,) Quincey, Emmerton.

Bottom line for me, I would love to have Brunner back here (for the right price) and wouldn't mind sacrificing the above mentioned to do so...

If Quincey goes, he'd have to be replaced somehow.

#832 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yup, he fights and hits. The other 3 kill penalties, he doesn't. Eaves and Miller skate better. Emmerton can center a line. All 3 make less. Miller Also hits, outhit Tootoo 81-68 in 2 more games in fact.

I'm not saying Tootoo is bad, and he certainly has a role on the team. He's not a better player though.

#833 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yup, he fights and hits. The other 3 kill penalties, he doesn't. Eaves and Miller skate better. Emmerton can center a line. All 3 make less. Miller Also hits, outhit Tootoo 81-68 in 2 more games in fact.I'm not saying Tootoo is bad, and he certainly has a role on the team. He's not a better player though.

I will say it. Tootoo is not good. Thats why he sits and watches when it matters. His signing was a bad one. Holland was high last summer. Bertuzzi/Samuelsson/Tootoo/Colo all were bad ideas to begin with that morphed into nightmares. Luckily, injuries gave us a shot to see the light. Holland has woken up and is trying to fix that now.

#834 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

The team already has 7 NHL ready defensemen.  Quincey is more than replaceable with Lashoff and the emergence of Kindl as made Q expendable.  I know he won't get bought out, but I certainly hope he does not get re-signed next season, unless for some odd reason he grows leaps and bounds and has a career year...if he is here this season, I hope he improves to become that guy we hoped for when we traded for him. 

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#835 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

The team already has 7 NHL ready defensemen.  Quincey is more than replaceable with Lashoff and the emergence of Kindl as made Q expendable.  I know he won't get bought out, but I certainly hope he does not get re-signed next season, unless for some odd reason he grows leaps and bounds and has a career year...if he is here this season, I hope he improves to become that guy we hoped for when we traded for him. 

Lashoff as the #6 scares me

#836 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

@RedWingsFeed: TMR: Red Wings mid-day news: on Cleary, Brunner, retiring numbers and scouting... http://t.co/dnqlMoS9MG via @KuklasKorner #NHL #RedWings

Edit: article confirms Brunner not thinking of returning to Switzerland, I'm ignoring the talk of Cleary returning.

And I'm going on the record and saying that Brunner's agent is a douchenozzle.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 24 July 2013 - 01:24 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#837 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Lashoff as the #6 scares me

I know. People really underestimate Quincey. Theres a reason hes our 2nd highest paid dman.

#838 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Kindl has indeed emerged, and Lashoff was an unexpected surprise last year. However, last year far from proves that Lashoff is ready to be anything more than the #7 defenseman. Quincey might be overpaid, but he is a much better option on the ice right now than Lashoff.

Additionally, why would you NOT want 7 NHL ready defensemen on the roster? If you only have 6 and someone gets hurt, you have to play a non-NHL ready D-man.

If this team is trying to make the playoffs and they get rid of Quincey this year, they will need to replace him with someone not named Lashoff that is (at least) a proven top 6 NHL player.

#839 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

There is no way 1.9mil for what tootoo brings is over payment. He just needs to be used. 

Agreed! 15-18 minutes a night please please please!

#840 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I disagree. I think Lashoff had a great year last year and really helped the team early on when many players were not doing so well. However, as the season went on he really showed some gaps in his game. So I would hate to dump a solid player like Quincey when there are questions.

Now certainly I am hoping that Lashoff made the most of his time down in Grand Rapids and will come back this year way stronger, but we need to be prepared if thats not the case. The defense is still pretty young overall with Kindl, Dekeyser, and Smith. We can definitely use Quinceys experience.

On-topic, has the length of time Brunner has went unsigned changed anyones opinion of his value? Its one thing if the Wings choose not to give him the salary he wants and then someone else snaps him up on July 1, but when all 30 teams have had weeks to sign him and no one has, I think that does put into perspective that his value might not be that high.

The longer this goes, the more I feel like we don't need him back and a young player can take his role on the team.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.