• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#841 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I disagree. I think Lashoff had a great year last year and really helped the team early on when many players were not doing so well. However, as the season went on he really showed some gaps in his game. So I would hate to dump a solid player like Quincey when there are questions.

Now certainly I am hoping that Lashoff made the most of his time down in Grand Rapids and will come back this year way stronger, but we need to be prepared if thats not the case. The defense is still pretty young overall with Kindl, Dekeyser, and Smith. We can definitely use Quinceys experience.

On-topic, has the length of time Brunner has went unsigned changed anyones opinion of his value? Its one thing if the Wings choose not to give him the salary he wants and then someone else snaps him up on July 1, but when all 30 teams have had weeks to sign him and no one has, I think that does put into perspective that his value might not be that high.

The longer this goes, the more I feel like we don't need him back and a young player can take his role on the team.

I feel the same on all your points.

#842 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Lashoff started well but by the end of his stay he was God awful. Even when he played relatively well he had several brain cramps that led directly to goals. There is no way in hell a good team should have him pencilled in as a regular. Brunner is more of a shooter than either Nyquist or Tatar, but at this point I don't see room for another small fairly one dimensional winger.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#843 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

I know. People really underestimate Quincey. Theres a reason hes our 2nd highest paid dman.

So hold on here.....Quincey with all of his screw ups in the season. Reading through countless posts of people talking about how he was god awful in the game GDT's more so than anyone else is getting paid just right and you are fine with that but think that tootoo with what he brings is getting too much and needs to be traded? The way I seen Q play there is no way he played to a $3+mil contract. We are talking about the 1 goal and 2 assists 3 pts Quincey right?

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#844 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I know. People really underestimate Quincey. Theres a reason hes our 2nd highest paid dman.

Which is even more disappointing considering Quincey played like the fifth best d-man on the team. Only his partner Smith was worse and he was a rookie.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#845 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

You defend Quincey yet you hate on tootoo and Brunner. Quincey was visibly horrible most of the season and the entire time he was with us in 2011/2012. He is our second highest paid dman cause we expected bigger things from him then we have gotten. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but as of now he has not earned a new contract, even at 2.5 mil

#846 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

So hold on here.....Quincey with all of his screw ups in the season. Reading through countless posts of people talking about how he was god awful in the game GDT's more so than anyone else is getting paid just right and you are fine with that but think that tootoo with what he brings is getting too much and needs to be traded? The way I seen Q play there is no way he played to a $3+mil contract. We are talking about the 1 goal and 2 assists 3 pts Quincey right?

Tootoo didnt even play!!! Did you watch the playoffs? Or just the first 10 games of the season?

#847 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

You defend Quincey yet you hate on tootoo and Brunner. Quincey was visibly horrible most of the season and the entire time he was with us in 2011/2012. He is our second highest paid dman cause we expected bigger things from him then we have gotten. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but as of now he has not earned a new contract, even at 2.5 mil

He's not up for a new contract. He's our #3, and he's starting to kick some butt with the development of our younger guys. What defense are you watching? We took both the Ducks and Blackhawks to game 7, and our defense looked SPECTACULAR for only having played together for 2-3 months. Tootoo was in the fricking PRESS BOX. Lets have a conversation about Tootoo's playoff performance last year. Oh, wait. We're done. Ok, fine. The year before, then. Oops. We're done, again.

#848 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

He's not up for a new contract. He's our #3, and he's starting to kick some butt with the development of our younger guys. What defense are you watching? We took both the Ducks and Blackhawks to game 7, and our defense looked SPECTACULAR for only having played together for 2-3 months. Tootoo was in the fricking PRESS BOX. Lets have a conversation about Tootoo's playoff performance last year. Oh, wait. We're done. Ok, fine. The year before, then. Oops. We're done, again.

Ok then let's have a conversation about Quincey. Turnover after turnover after bad mistake. The only reason he wasn't in the press box was because we had no one to replace him with. You seriously think he is good then I beg you to get your eyes checked because he was abysmal.

#849 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ok then let's have a conversation about Quincey. Turnover after turnover after bad mistake. The only reason he wasn't in the press box was because we had no one to replace him with. You seriously think he is good then I beg you to get your eyes checked because he was abysmal.

Q is signed for thankfully only 1 more year. Just enough time to fast track Sproul, our futurw #1 dman. People can quote me for future reference if anyone thinks I'm out to lunch...but I'm calling it now.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#850 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I agree with Axe on Quincey, but not on Tootoo.  Quincey started bad and finished strong, but once you're a whipping boy around here (and once you're a hometown hero) there's no changing most people's minds.  There was ZERO wrong with Quincey's play down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Tootoo is another story in my opinion.  He was under utilized.  I know Bab's had all sorts of quotes about penalty minutes and this and that.  But the truth is, both Boston and Chicago dressed at least one guy who was a penalty machine but still brought enough intangibles that they were worth being on the ice.  Hell, Abby had 33 PIMs in 12 games.  And he didn't score enough to make that worthwhile.  Tootoo isn't Boogaard.  He didn't play because Babs likes skill more than he likes aggressiveness (in spite of what he says), and once Babs doesn't like a guy it's awfully hard to change his mind. 

Q is signed for thankfully only 1 more year. Just enough time to fast track Sproul, our futurw #1 dman. People can quote me for future reference if anyone thinks I'm out to lunch...but I'm calling it now.

You're not exactly going out on a limb here.  He's the highest rated defensive prospect we've got.  He's further along the developmental curve mentally, physically, and skill wise than any of our other prospect d-men.  Plus, he's projected to have the much higher upside based on his mix of skill and size.  It's a little like "gambling" that Mrazek will be a starting goalie, or Mantha a top line forward.  The sky would literally have to fall for this to not be true. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#851 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I agree with Axe on Quincey, but not on Tootoo.  Quincey started bad and finished strong, but once you're a whipping boy around here (and once you're a hometown hero) there's no changing most people's minds.  There was ZERO wrong with Quincey's play down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Tootoo is another story in my opinion.  He was under utilized.  I know Bab's had all sorts of quotes about penalty minutes and this and that.  But the truth is, both Boston and Chicago dressed at least one guy who was a penalty machine but still brought enough intangibles that they were worth being on the ice.  Hell, Abby had 33 PIMs in 12 games.  And he didn't score enough to make that worthwhile.  Tootoo isn't Boogaard.  He didn't play because Babs likes skill more than he likes aggressiveness (in spite of what he says), and once Babs doesn't like a guy it's awfully hard to change his mind. 

You're not exactly going out on a limb here.  He's the highest rated defensive prospect we've got.  He's further along the developmental curve mentally, physically, and skill wise than any of our other prospect d-men.  Plus, he's projected to have the much higher upside based on his mix of skill and size.  It's a little like "gambling" that Mrazek will be a starting goalie, or Mantha a top line forward.  The sky would literally have to fall for this to not be true. 

I agree. Q is overpaid, but he's a decent d-man and the only one besides Kronwall who played both special teams. People just have unrealistic expectations for some players.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#852 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

He's good. Trust me, Euro.

#853 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

ohhhhhh...so it was all Quincy that got us past the ducks and almost past the hawks??? You asked me if I only watched the first 10 games...Seems like you weren't even watching Quincy the way you are defending him thinking he was some second coming of Lids. I do agree with kipwinger that he started off really really bad then he did finish strong but that comes with playing time which tootoo didn't get. But Quincy was no savior of this team I tell you that.

I have said this whole time Tootoo needs more playing time. 

Just a curiosity question axe....are you one of those folks that think there shouldn't be hockey in southern states and the fans in those said states know nothing about hockey?

I agree. Q is overpaid, but he's a decent d-man and the only one besides Kronwall who played both special teams. People just have unrealistic expectations for some players.

Yeah I can agree with this but on the other hand people on here seem to think just because some players were under utilized that they are not worth their pay.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 24 July 2013 - 09:18 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#854 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

ohhhhhh...so it was all Quincy that got us past the ducks and almost past the hawks??? You asked me if I only watched the first 10 games...Seems like you weren't even watching Quincy the way you are defending him thinking he was some second coming of Lids. I do agree with kipwinger that he started off really really bad then he did finish strong but that comes with playing time which tootoo didn't get. But Quincy was no savior of this team I tell you that.
I have said this whole time Tootoo needs more playing time. 

Just a curiosity question axe....are you one of those folks that think there shouldn't be hockey in southern states and the fans in those said states know nothing about hockey?

Yeah I can agree with this but on the other hand people on here seem to think just because some players were under utilized that they are not worth their pay.

No. Im one of those fans that means "good" when I say good. I say "great" when I mean great, "Norris caliber" when I mean Norris caliber, and "the 2nd coming of Lidstrom when I mean the 2nd coming of Lidstrom. I dont need to defend Quincey. His TOI, salary, and coach's confidence are enough to stand on their own without needing defence. Players in the PRESS BOX making 2 mil per as healthy scratches need to be defended. Why you choose that battle is beyond me. We have plenty of likeable players.

#855 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

No. Im one of those fans that means "good" when I say good. I say "great" when I mean great, "Norris caliber" when I mean Norris caliber, and "the 2nd coming of Lidstrom when I mean the 2nd coming of Lidstrom. I dont need to defend Quincey. His TOI, salary, and coach's confidence are enough to stand on their own without needing defence. Players in the PRESS BOX making 2 mil per as healthy scratches need to be defended. Why you choose that battle is beyond me. We have plenty of likeable players.

Why you choose to defend Quincy making WAY more than he should be is beyond me.

http://www.letsgowin...ings-have-done/

even you agreed it was a mistake to bring him back

I even think I found my answer why it is you are defending him

"This is how I feel. If the old guys dont put up the stats, then they should sit. But Babcock cant just sit a guy Holland is paying 2 mil a year to play."

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 24 July 2013 - 10:04 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#856 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

I'm surprised you haven't caught on yet.

#857 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't think I've seen brunner's name within the last 20 posts.

#858 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

http://www.letsgowin...ings-have-done/

even you agreed it was a mistake to bring him back

I even think I found my answer why it is you are defending him

"This is how I feel. If the old guys dont put up the stats, then they should sit. But Babcock cant just sit a guy Holland is paying 2 mil a year to play."

He makes 3.75 mil per. Ericsson will make more next year too.

#859 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Soooo any actual updates on Brunner?

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#860 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Anyone seen the Brunner Contract thread?  Coulda sworn I was in it a minute ago...