• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#921 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I heard it. If I read it, I'd post a link. But I heard it.

Do you have a source to prove that you heard it?

Most people in real life understand that "I heard..." means that you heard it in passing and that it should be taken with a grain of salt (or perhaps a boulder thereof), but this is the internet; if you claim to exist, they want your birth certificate.

#922 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Do you have a source to prove that you heard it?

Most people in real life understand that "I heard..." means that you heard it in passing and that it should be taken with a grain of salt (or perhaps a boulder thereof), but this is the internet; if you claim to exist, they want your birth certificate.

I know, right. Funny thing is I know 2 guys who are very well known in the NHL (one is a color guy and one is an assistant coach), but I didnt hear it from either of them. I heard it through a friend who lives in Jersey and works in a law office. Go figure.

#923 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

I heard it. If I read it, I'd post a link. But I heard it.

Several people have asked for a source and you just ignore them. Now you've "heard" it. I "heard yzerman and lids are coming out of retirement and will be back this year. No source I just "heard" it

#924 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Several people have asked for a source and you just ignore them. Now you've "heard" it. I "heard yzerman and lids are coming out of retirement and will be back this year. No source I just "heard" it

If you dont trust me, Im ok with that. Im not seeking approval from you.

Brunner simply just isnt worth what he wants.

#925 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you dont trust me, Im ok with that. Im not seeking approval from you.

Brunner simply just isnt worth what he wants.

It's not about seeking approval. 

If you make a claim like that about someone's contract, there needs to be a some source so people can evaluate the statement.  Otherwise the site will be awash in people making up whatever they want about players. 

At least now that you admitted "you heard it" people can better decide how likely it is to be true. In the future if you make claims like this without any reference to where you got the info, it will be deleted.

#926 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

He said he heard it from the start.  He has responded to requests for a source by telling people that he has no physical source and that it is just something that he heard.

What is it with people?  Is reading comprehension so low nowadays that people can't understand the word "heard" means that it was something that was not sourced?

If you say you read it, you can provide a link or at least a reference if it was hard copy.  If it was seen, you can provide a reference.  If it was on the radio, you can provide the station and/or speaker.

If you just heard it, that's all it is.  Someone said it.  You repeated it.  It may or may not be true.

If someone passes off something they heard as fact, that's one thing, but if they state outright that it was just something that they heard, then that's another.

We've wasted more time on this site asking for sources for things that aren't sourced than it's worth.

If there's a source, provide it.  If not, say that there's no source (i.e. "I heard it.") and everyone just take it for what it's worth. 

Not everything in the world is "sourced".

#927 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

He said he heard it from the start.  He has responded to requests for a source by telling people that he has no physical source and that it is just something that he heard.

What is it with people?  Is reading comprehension so low nowadays that people can't understand the word "heard" means that it was something that was not sourced?

If you say you read it, you can provide a link or at least a reference if it was hard copy.  If it was seen, you can provide a reference.  If it was on the radio, you can provide the station and/or speaker.

If you just heard it, that's all it is.  Someone said it.  You repeated it.  It may or may not be true.

If someone passes off something they heard as fact, that's one thing, but if they state outright that it was just something that they heard, then that's another.

We've wasted more time on this site asking for sources for things that aren't sourced than it's worth.

If there's a source, provide it.  If not, say that there's no source (i.e. "I heard it.") and everyone just take it for what it's worth. 

What is it with people? The same could be said about the tone in your post.

He said he heard it but didn't say where. For several posts he was evasive as to the source.  He could've heard it on TSN, which is a lot more credible than from a friend. 

It's not unreasonable to ask for a source.  People share links here to get the latest and greatest about happenings in hockey.  The idea is also so people don't just randomly make things up to win arguments.

If upon first being asked he had said it was from a friend, the thread wouldn't be derailed like it is now. 

Now let's all try to get back on topic about Brunner.  

#928 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

What is it with people? The same could be said about the tone in your post.

He said he heard it but didn't say where. For several posts he was evasive as to the source.  He could've heard it on TSN, which is a lot more credible than from a friend. 

It's not unreasonable to ask for a source.  People share links here to get the latest and greatest about happenings in hockey.  The idea is also so people don't just randomly make things up to win arguments.

If upon first being asked he had said it was from a friend, the thread wouldn't be derailed like it is now. 

Now let's all try to get back on topic about Brunner.  

I've got no problem with asking for a source.  It's the repeatedly asking after a person says that they just heard it.  If there's a source, great.  If not, it's hearsay.

"Source" has almost become a meme.

But yes, back to Brunner...

Are there any rules- written or otherwise- that preclude a gentlemen's agreement that if he doesn't sign with anyone and goes back to Switzerland that he'd be allowed to sign later on in the season if a trade or LTIR gave us the space and need?

Not saying that he'd do it, but the summer is winding down and there doesn't seem to be a lot happening on the Brunner front.

Just from talking to totally unsourced, unreliable people with no connections to the hockey world (like most of us here), I've been hearing a lot of "probably going back to Switzerland if he can't land a good spot here".  No idea if it's true, and "here" has referred to both the Wings and the NHL.

I'm just wondering if there was a possibility of him coming later in the season if a spot opened up.

#929 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Exactly.

Would you sign Brunner 2 years/2.5 mil per?

#930 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Exactly.

Would you sign Brunner 2 years/2.5 mil per?

In a heartbeat, if I had the cap and roster space.

#931 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Otherwise the site will be awash in people making up whatever they want about players. 

Welcome to LGW!

Where Fedorov takes nights off, Franzen is lazy and sucks, Howard is "Average", and Brendan Smith should be traded.

In a heartbeat, if I had the cap and roster space.

Me too. I dont like him at 4, but I like him at 2.5.

#932 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to LGW!
Where Fedorov takes nights off, Franzen is lazy and sucks, Howard is "Average", and Brendan Smith should be traded.

Me too. I dont like him at 4, but I like him at 2.5.

But franzen is lazy and sucks at everything in hockey except scoring 25 goals a year.

#933 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

But franzen is lazy and sucks at everything in hockey except scoring 25 goals a year.

And consistently being one of our better +/- players.

#934 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

And consistently being one of our better +/- players.

What a horrible stat. What would his +/- be if he was in the panthers? Come on.. you can do better.

#935 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

Tootoo > Cleary > Brunner > Samuelsson. Red Wings without Tootoo would be a miserable sight, gotta at least have some physical presence somewhere. The rest are pretty much done. Despite Cleary's decent playoff performance he simply is not what he used to be anymore. Brunner is not worth the money, he is as one dimensional as they come. I have no diubt Tatar will replace him easily. Sammulsson -no comments necessary.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#936 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Brunner to Irish league for a rain coat and pint of Guinness (annually)?

almost....KHL. Detroit offered him 3 years for a total of 7 million. his agent said no. Devils didnt want to go above 2,5. now he is sitting at home running out of options. KHL could be a short term solution and I predict he will end up in Zug again before the end of the year

My wish: A healthy roster

#937 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

What a horrible stat. What would his +/- be if he was in the panthers? Come on.. you can do better.

I know you weren't asking me this, but how is that different than any other stat if he was on a poor team?  His point scoring along with most other stats will go down playing on garbage clubs.

It's no more a "horrible stat" than anything other....its relative.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#938 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know you weren't asking me this, but how is that different than any other stat if he was on a poor team?  His point scoring along with most other stats will go down playing on garbage clubs.

It's no more a "horrible stat" than anything other....its relative.

Not entirely. Some players do just fine with bad linemates. Look at dats this year

#939 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Not entirely. Some players do just fine with bad linemates. Look at dats this year

*Linemates*....Not an entire team.  Apples to Oranges.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#940 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

*Linemates*....Not an entire team.  Apples to Oranges.

Majority of the year our team was pretty bad. One of the worst goals/game in the league. Terrible pp and pk. So my comparison is legit