• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#941 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

almost....KHL. Detroit offered him 3 years for a total of 7 million. his agent said no. Devils didnt want to go above 2,5. now he is sitting at home running out of options. KHL could be a short term solution and I predict he will end up in Zug again before the end of the year

This is kind of my thinking at this point also. Its tough to evaluate a rookie player from a shortened season looking for a contract asking for that kind of money, it's like buying a race horse after seeing it run half a lap. 

If he wants to stay in the NHL, take a smaller, short contract, see how it goes, worst case scenario he makes 4 million dollars to bring back home with him for playing two seasons of hockey. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#942 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Majority of the year our team was pretty bad. One of the worst goals/game in the league. Terrible pp and pk. So my comparison is legit

The Wings still finished 7th in the conference, yet again made the playoffs and the Panthers were cellar-dwellars with garbage from front to back.  The comparison is not legit, IMHO.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#943 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

The Wings still finished 7th in the conference, yet again made the playoffs and the Panthers were cellar-dwellars with garbage from front to back.  The comparison is not legit, IMHO.

At least we can both agree that Weiss should have better stats here...

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#944 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

At least we can both agree that Weiss should have better stats here...

EXACTLY (and pretty much my point too)!  ....and yes, I agree Weiss stats as a whole should go up.  His points scored may or may not suffer due to the talent up and down the lineup compared to FLA, but I agree.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#945 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Brunner is blowing it.

#946 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

bet brunner now is wishing that he would have accepted the wings offer

#947 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

Look, you never see so many quality free agents wait this long.  The reason for it is not because Brunner's agent screwed up, or he screwed up.  It's because the cap decreased, which rarely (or never) has happened since the cap was instituted and thus waiting for teams to straighten out their cap situation is necessary.  If the cap had stayed the same (or decreased marginally) Damien Brunner would have signed by now on his terms, though maybe not with the Wings, and we wouldn't be talking. 

Again, this is a super atypical year for free agents, and drawing conclusions from it is not truly indicative of anything.  Last year (and most years before that) Damien Brunner would have made every penny he was asking for based on his stats.  Hell, if Ville Leino made what he did then Brunner would surely have cashed in. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#948 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Look, you never see so many quality free agents wait this long.  The reason for it is not because Brunner's agent screwed up, or he screwed up.  It's because the cap decreased, which rarely (or never) has happened since the cap was instituted and thus waiting for teams to straighten out their cap situation is necessary.  If the cap had stayed the same (or decreased marginally) Damien Brunner would have signed by now on his terms, though maybe not with the Wings, and we wouldn't be talking. 

Again, this is a super atypical year for free agents, and drawing conclusions from it is not truly indicative of anything.  Last year (and most years before that) Damien Brunner would have made every penny he was asking for based on his stats.  Hell, if Ville Leino made what he did then Brunner would surely have cashed in. 

Filppula played like garbage and cashed in.

#949 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Agreed, but Cleary played better and didn't.  That's the point I'm trying to make.  This year is really scattershot as far as free agency goes because of the new CBA.  Any other year all of these guys would have received good money for their production.  But this year is different.  If you didn't sign early, you were destined to wait until teams could figure out their cap situations.  That's all I'm trying to say. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#950 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Like t or not, flip is a well established nhl player. The bolts knew what he could provide from years past, and they had to fill a void left by lecavalier when they bought him out

#951 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Agreed, but Cleary played better and didn't.  That's the point I'm trying to make.  This year is really scattershot as far as free agency goes because of the new CBA.  Any other year all of these guys would have received good money for their production.  But this year is different.  If you didn't sign early, you were destined to wait until teams could figure out their cap situations.  That's all I'm trying to say. 

Fair enough. But I think a lot of signings were based on bodies of work and not just last year.

#952 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

just saw Brunner parking his black Audi TT in front of the hockey stadium in Zug....he didnt look too busy

Bring back No. 91

#953 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Could be training there? You should know better than many on where he would normally conduct off season training

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#954 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Ill ask the coach when i see him......

Bring back No. 91

#955 Powerplay

Powerplay

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Brunner conduct his offseason Training in Zug (same as Montreals Rafael Diaz) who was a former Zug Player same as Brunner and Anaheims Luca Sbisa too.

Brunner was watching last Friday's first Zug icetraining and is said to join in in two weeks time on the ice after he has done his base training at the gym. In opposite to this, Diaz has taken part on the ice training.

There are no rumours sofar that Brunner would join Zug again for the next season. Everything is just pure speculation at this Moment in time.

I guess that he will sign somewhere in the NHL in the end.

Personally I really regret that he didn't sign with the wings but I see his point for not being used at the right position at the bottom six. He is fast, a good tecnician and a cool sniper who Needs a creative role which he only gets in the top six. This is probably the Major issue why Brunners Agent and KH did not come to an agreement and Alfredsson got signed in a Minute by the Red Wings.

#956 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

It's not like they were playing him with 2 slugs 5 minutes a night. Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner was a solid line and he was getting PP time. He needs to understand that he's not a star here like he was in Switzerland and he's not getting a guaranteed full time top 6 role unless he signs with some bottom feeder.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#957 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

It's not like they were playing him with 2 slugs 5 minutes a night. Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner was a solid line and he was getting PP time. He needs to understand that he's not a star here like he was in Switzerland and he's not getting a guaranteed full time top 6 role unless he signs with some bottom feeder.

I don't think even that will happen or else it would have already. He has to prove himself and earn a top 6 role. He wants too much too fast. He should just take a 2 year 5 million deal and run with it. Cash in on the next contract

#958 Powerplay

Powerplay

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I

Agreed. I am fully aware of the capacity of both Nyquist and Andersson. They are excellent players and were in the Playoffs probably one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Of course u hv to earn your spot in the team but unless Brunner did not ask for way to much money, I really think that he was worried that he would end up in a defensive role only as it happened to him before in Switzerland prior to his change to Zug were the excellent coach Doug Shedden discovered Damiens Offensive potential and gave him the minutes he needed.

As far as I could state out of Zug, he played fairly okay on his NHL rookie saison and was one of the better scorers of the RW but his minutes were drastically shortened during the Playoffs even though the 3rd line made their commitment to force both the Ducks and the Hawks into seven games.

Since I have only seen a few of the Wings games here in Zug, please correct me if I am wrong but I also got the impression that the Wings were in a kind of transmission season and asked a lot for from Nrunnerbas a rookie even though playing with guys like Z, Dats etc. must be a dream for a new kid in town...:-)

#959 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't think even that will happen or else it would have already. He has to prove himself and earn a top 6 role. He wants too much too fast. He should just take a 2 year 5 million deal and run with it. Cash in on the next contract

Not to mention the fact that $2.5 million a year IS cashing in for a $400,000 Swiss leaguer.

And I'm sure we can all agree that playing in Detroit would be as good of a place to showcase his talents to the rest of the league to potentially earn more his next contract whether he stays or goes at that time.

#960 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

[quote name='Powerplay' timestamp='1375820822' post='2432641']It's not like they were playing him with 2 slugs 5 minutes a night. Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner was a solid line and he was getting PP time. He needs to understand that he's not a star here like he was in Switzerland and he's not getting a guaranteed full time top 6 role unless he signs with some bottom feeder.I
Agreed. I am fully aware of the capacity of both Nyquist and Andersson. They are excellent players and were in the Playoffs probably one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Of course u hv to earn your spot in the team but unless Brunner did not ask for way to much money, I really think that he was worried that he would end up in a defensive role only as it happened to him before in Switzerland prior to his change to Zug were the excellent coach Doug Shedden discovered Damiens Offensive potential and gave him the minutes he needed.
As far as I could state out of Zug, he played fairly okay on his NHL rookie saison and was one of the better scorers of the RW but his minutes were drastically shortened during the Playoffs even though the 3rd line made their commitment to force both the Ducks and the Hawks into seven games.
Since I have only seen a few of the Wings games here in Zug, please correct me if I am wrong but I also got the impression that the Wings were in a kind of transmission season and asked a lot for from Nrunnerbas a rookie even though playing with guys like Z, Dats etc. must be a dream for a new kid in town...:-)[/quotel
He played with Zetterberg until he slumped then was swapped onto the line with Andersson and Nyquist. Like I said, he needs to realize that he isn't more than a secondary player in the NHL.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!