• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

Cool!

And I will concede that Emdog is 5th or 6th on our current depth chart at the center position. But I wont concede that playing Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Eaves, or Samuelsson is better for the team. I put these guys ahead of Emmerton:

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Franzen

Brunner

Helm

Nyquist

Abdelkader

Anderson

Tatar

Miller

They all play at a higher skill level.

Brunner fits in nicely for us at 2.5 mil a season. Thats a big raise for him.

Eaves and Bert are easily in front of Emmerton.

Guest The Axe

Gee. I remember ME saying something about the 2.5 million number. 2.25/2.25/2.5/2.75/2.75.

Get it done. 5 years, 2.5 per for cap hit.

@RedWingsFeed: Red Wings free agent Damien Brunner wants lengthy deal, 'loves Detroit': Brunner... http://t.co/FzUv1p14Cm via @freepwings #NHL #RedWings

Interesting, do you give a guy a 5 year contract based upon a good half season?

OTOH, if he gets a longer contract, his cap hit will be less. 2 years $8M or 5 years $15M?

This sounds promising

http://www.freep.com/article/20130626/SPORTS05/306260029/damien-brunner-detroit-red-wings

Damien Brunner wants to remain in Detroit, and he wants to be around for several years.

That’s about how far the Red Wings have gotten in their negotiations with Brunner, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent July 5.

Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told the Free Press on Tuesday that Brunner “will sign longer than one year.”

Sheehy also emphasized that Brunner “loves Detroit.”

Brunner is 27, usually an age when a player has a bit of NHL history to carry into negotiations. Brunner, however, played in his native Switzerland until last winter, when he joined the Wings as they began a lockout-shortened season.

He scored 12 goals in 44 games; not a bad output, but a little tarnished by the fact 10 goals came in the first 19 games. Brunner did rebound from a quiet second half to lead the Wings with five goals in the playoffs, a strong demonstration of his ability to contribute when most needed.

His inaugural season with the Wings left a favorable impression upon Brunner, too, and a deal could be worked out within a week, maybe at Sunday’s draft.

“We’ve had discussions,” Sheehy said. “We’re scheduled to talk again in New Jersey this weekend.”

Negotiations always come down to money, and here’s what both sides are trying to figure out: Who is Brunner? Mr. Consistent Goal Scorer, or Mr. Hot and Cold?

“Those are always issues,” Sheehy said. “If you have a long track record, it makes it easier. Nonetheless, he’s a good player. We’ll see where talks go.”

The Wings have three players approaching UFA status: Brunner, Daniel Cleary and Valtteri Filppula.

Brunner is the most likely to be signed. Including bonuses, his salary-cap hit last season was $1.35 million. He’s clearly got offensive talent, if not a skill set that extends to such other dimensions as penalty killing and forechecking.

His value comes from scoring and the fact he’s one of the few Wings who shoots right-handed.

Somewhere in the $2.5-million-per-season range should work for both sides.

Interesting, do you give a guy a 5 year contract based upon a good half season?

OTOH, if he gets a longer contract, his cap hit will be less. 2 years $8M or 5 years $15M?

Yikes. We are talking more in the $2.5M per season range, not $3M-$4M. Actually, since his potential is still a relative unknown, I think the escalation in salary over the course of a longer term contract could be minimized. As good as this kid COULD be, I think it would be a great move to sign 4 or 5 years if Brunner's camp will accept it, and it sounds like they will. If I was Ken Holland (we would be in trouble), I would table this:

1st year: $2M

2nd year: $2.25M

3rd year: $2.5M

4th year: $2.75M

5th year: $3M

That would be a 5 year, $12.5M contract that would take him to age 32 with a cap-hit of $2.5M. If Brunner's camp would accept it, I'd offer it all day :P

Yikes. We are talking more in the $2.5M per season range, not $3M-$4M. Actually, since his potential is still a relative unknown, I think the escalation in salary over the course of a longer term contract could be minimized. As good as this kid COULD be, I think it would be a great move to sign 4 or 5 years if Brunner's camp will accept it, and it sounds like they will. If I was Ken Holland (we would be in trouble), I would table this:

That would be a 5 year, $12.5M contract that would take him to age 32 with a cap-hit of $2.5M. If Brunner's camp would accept it, I'd offer it all day :P

I'd probably offer even a little more. Say....

Year 1: 2.25

Year 2: 2.75

Year 3: 3

Year 4: 3.25

Year 5: 3.5

Cap hit= 2.95 million

Guest The Axe

2.5-3 million = more than fair. This guy played with Zetterberg last year, and his numbers were mediocre. He's got 1 year in the NHL. No reason to pay him 5 year veteran money.

2.5-3 million = more than fair. This guy played with Zetterberg last year, and his numbers were mediocre. He's got 1 year in the NHL. No reason to pay him 5 year veteran money.

I like that we appear to be closer to a deal here, I also think 5 year 15mil is what we will be looking at in the end and I am fine with that. I hope they finish it this weekend...

Guest The Axe

I like that we appear to be closer to a deal here, I also think 5 year 15mil is what we will be looking at in the end and I am fine with that. I hope they finish it this weekend...

I wouldnt be upset with that. 3 mil is still in the sane category. Above that, and its time to save the cap room for a better asset.

Any contract will be front loaded - they always are. Players prefer to get paid NOW before they get bought out ;) And gives them more time for their investments to grow.

With the way he works on his game all the time, his scoring ability (even if he stagnates at the level of a third line scorer, 2.5 for 5 years is a no brainer. Chances are he develops into a really good scoring forward, thus making him a steal. Even if he doesn't develop, you're not really overpaying that much for third line talent.

With the way he works on his game all the time, his scoring ability (even if he stagnates at the level of a third line scorer, 2.5 for 5 years is a no brainer. Chances are he develops into a really good scoring forward, thus making him a steal. Even if he doesn't develop, you're not really overpaying that much for third line talent.

No way he signs for less than $3 M per year. My guess is $3-3.5 per year for 3 years.

Soooooo we only have 1 day left until UFA.... are we going to lose Brunnski???

I read somewhere that it was likely that he is going to test the market. So, since other teams will overpay for anybody it's not far fetched that he won't be with Det next year.

I read somewhere that it was likely that he is going to test the market. So, since other teams will overpay for anybody it's not far fetched that he won't be with Det next year.

It's sad that Holland will let a guy like this walk when he is willing to 're sign Cleary at 3mil/year

Guest The Axe

It's sad that Holland will let a guy like this walk when he is willing to 're sign Cleary at 3mil/year

I agree with this. Holland will sign 20 bozos to 40 mil total, but will scratch his head and tell us the price is too steep on an 8 million dollar norris candidate. Meanwhile, we have 7 million of salary RIDING THE PINE for 14 playoff games. Holland is a buffoon.

I agree with this. Holland will sign 20 bozos to 40 mil total, but will scratch his head and tell us the price is too steep on an 8 million dollar norris candidate. Meanwhile, we have 7 million of salary RIDING THE PINE for 14 playoff games. Holland is a buffoon.

I support Hollands decisions for the most part, I would not call him a buffoon. I would however say he is willing to play it safe sometimes when he should be taking a bit of a gamble like with Brunner

THIS!!! I was typing this same sentiment on another thread about the time you were typing this.

He's not a buffoon. But he is becoming overcautious. He is taking the long term approach. Which has flaws. For instance, you'll never win the Cup if you wait year after year for the solution to come from within. No matter how the kids develop, we will always have needs. So how many years can he just wait?

I don't hate his moves, but I worry that he has lost his "win now" mentality in favor of "make playoffs and win two rounds.". It's nice to be consistent, but we fans dont care about revenue. We want to see Cups.