• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

Turns down a 2 year, 2.5M deal from the Wings, and now has to resort to accepting a pro try-out to maybe play for a bottom feeder that will likely not see the post-season. Smart move there Damien. Might wanna start thinking about parting ways with your agent.

My thoughts exactly. Makes me wonder if there wasn't...*something else* that might've inflenced his decison to leave (e.g. wanting to be a real superstar go-to guy). But maybe thats not fair. He seemed to have a really good attitude. I guess, for whatever reason, I just feel like Babs' comments about how you need to be an "every-dayer" and have an incredible work ethic and all that were made partially in allusion to Brunner. ("He'll learn to play right....")

Or maybe he is a really good guy and his agent - who's known as kind of a nut, right? - simply screwed him (and himself) over.

Or maybe this is the best thing for everyone and everything works out beautifully.

WHATEVER MAN

How exactly do these "tryout contracts" work? I don't recall many of these in past years, at least not for reputable veterans like Tim Thomas and Dan Cleary. In Cleary's case, didn't they already have the terms (something like 3 yrs/$8.25 mil) worked out, and then he walked from it?

Funny that we all assumed months ago he be on the Devils as soon as the Kovalchuk thing happened, but it didn't happen for whatever reason then.

One thing you could say about Brunner is that you'd assume he'd have a better chance of being a Top 6 winger there than here. But if you actually look at their roster, that isn't necessarily the case. Elias, Clowe, Ryder, Jagr, and Zubrus - there's 5 wingers that are all making $3 million+ this year. But then again, we all know that he didn't end up there because it was the "ideal situation" for him.

How exactly do these "tryout contracts" work? I don't recall many of these in past years, at least not for reputable veterans like Tim Thomas and Dan Cleary. In Cleary's case, didn't they already have the terms (something like 3 yrs/$8.25 mil) worked out, and then he walked from it?

Funny that we all assumed months ago he be on the Devils as soon as the Kovalchuk thing happened, but it didn't happen for whatever reason then.

One thing you could say about Brunner is that you'd assume he'd have a better chance of being a Top 6 winger there than here. But if you actually look at their roster, that isn't necessarily the case. Elias, Clowe, Ryder, Jagr, and Zubrus - there's 5 wingers that are all making $3 million+ this year. But then again, we all know that he didn't end up there because it was the "ideal situation" for him.

It's really not a "tryout contract". The AHL has tryout contracts, but the NHL doesn't. Having a professional tryout with an NHL club means you have an invite to attend camp with the opportunity to play your way onto the team & earn a contract. Terms may be discussed & a handshake deal may be in place on years/money before it's officially earned probably but it's only that, a handshake. So technically, Brunner still doesn't have an NHL contract just like Cleary wouldn't have if he had attended Flyers camp on a PTO.

Edited by ogreslayer