• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#141 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

No, Pav signed a contract for a team in Russia back in the day, but you were probably only 8 then so you won't remember.

Right now no-one knows what Brunner's market value is, so both sides are willing to wait and see what he's offered.

Gone.

#142 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

Kenny hollands decitions make me puke. Yet I am still a die hard fan.......

Posted Image

#143 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMIEN!  Don't go!  Please don't leave me!

Ok, now that I got that out of my system....

I'm usually one for hanging on to the old guys, but in this case, this kid won me over from the get-go.

He is my top priority for re-signing.  (NOT RESIGNING!)

I'm sure Miller probably breathed a sigh of relief when he re-signed this summer.  Someone is going to have to leave us, and there are only a few that I won't mind saying good-bye to.  Damien is not one of them.

I really hope they're just testing to see what other teams would pay him so they can get a fix on what he's worth.  I also hope that they take into account that other GM's are trying to reach a floor, and that some GM's have squirrels in their curls when handing out contracts.

Even if it's a bit higher than Kenny would normally pay for an untested player, I think Damien is worth the risk.

#144 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Even if it's a bit higher than Kenny would normally pay for an untested player, I think Damien is worth the risk.

This is exactly it. I do not think exceeding 2.5m per season is or will be bad for Brunner over a 3 or 4 year term. Sure he was streaky but it was his first season away from Switzerland so in addition to learning a new style of hockey, he was also adjusting to a new lifestyle and getting himself situated in Michigan. At the end of the day, athletes are people too and adjusting to such a far relocation does not come easy. His game will continue to improve and hopefully by next year, we're all pleased and saying what a steal he is for 2.5-3m

Brunner likes to shoot. This team desperately needs someone who can waltz in and shoot the puck or just shoot in general. Him being an right handed shot does not hurt either. End of the day, Brunner is worth the risk. 

#145 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I don't think Brunner is gone. Both sides are probably unsure of what his actual value is. He probably wants to field some offers to have some evidence to back up his demands. I don't think Brunner intends to leave the Wings. Whether Holland quibbles over $500,000 or not...
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#146 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Why is Brunner not signed yet? 5 years at 2.5 - 3 million! Why let him see what other teams are willing to overspend on him? Why risk losing a piece we really need that fit right in from the start, likes the team and being in Detroit, is a great teammate?? I don't get it... I for one will be PISSED if he is not a Red Wing next season

#147 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Problem with waiting until now to see what his "market value" is, is that his "market value" is gonna be grossly inflated. At least one team is gonna be willing to toss a truck load of money at this guy...not good

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#148 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Problem with waiting until now to see what his "market value" is, is that his "market value" is gonna be grossly inflated. At least one team is gonna be willing to toss a truck load of money at this guy...not good

Bingo. "Testing the market" is possibly the worst way to find out a player's value, unless they agree to not consider the off-the-wall offers, but that's what "market value" is- the max a guy can make on the market.

#149 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Kenny must really enjoy negotiating. Cause there is a lot of it going on. More than I'm comfortable with.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#150 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

From freep:

"They remain in talks with Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner...Brunner is looking for around $2.5 million...in a multi year deal."

WHAT IS THEf****** PROBLEM?!?!?!?? That is MORE than reasonable, I don't care if he wants 17 years!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#151 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Holland probably doesn't think he can afford Brunner when he decides to sign Cleary 5x5.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#152 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Give him 2.5.  He's worth the risk.  Put your names on your respective dotted lines.

What's the worst thing that can happen if he doesn't work out?  We trade him to a team that needs to reach the floor for a 7th round conditional pick and everyone has kittens about how Kenny overpays, which they're going to do no matter what.

#153 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

From freep:

"They remain in talks with Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner...Brunner is looking for around $2.5 million...in a multi year deal."

WHAT IS THEf****** PROBLEM?!?!?!?? That is MORE than reasonable, I don't care if he wants 17 years!

That's all he is looking for? He should have been signed ages ago. The way Kenny is putting this off I figured he wanted 4 mil. 2.5 is a bargain
  • Nev likes this

#154 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

2.5 for 5.

Do it.

#155 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think Hossa wanting to come here made it go to Kenny's head...something is seriously up with that man (if that's true ^^)

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#156 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Let's not forget everything we know is rumors and speculation. I can say with an almost certainly that 2.5 million a year would not be a sticking point for Holland... willing to bet Brunner is looking for more than that.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 04 July 2013 - 09:39 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#157 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm so done with this...I'm sure this weekend I'll read Brunner has signed for $3.5Mill somewhere else, Holland will whine about the cap and spending money while Samuelsson, Cleary, Tootoo, Bertuzzi remain on the roster.

Whatever, just field the same team and act shocked when we miss the playoffs Ken.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#158 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's funny our best acquisition last summer was Brunner.

Now fast forward to this summer and we don't get him resigned?

I like some of you are getting impatient on this.

#159 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm so done with this...I'm sure this weekend I'll read Brunner has signed for $3.5Mill somewhere else, Holland will whine about the cap and spending money while Samuelsson, Cleary, Tootoo, Bertuzzi remain on the roster.

Whatever, just field the same team and act shocked when we miss the playoffs Ken.

Oh we'll make the playoffs but probably won't get out of the 1st or second round...rinse and repeat.

#160 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Holland is trying to figure out how much he can play Cleary right now. He was uninspired by Cleary's agent coming in at 3 mil. He told the agent he thought Cleary was worth much more and encouraged him to up the demands.