• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shutemdown

Talking Tootoo

Rate this topic

How long ago did Tony Twist and Stu Grimson play?

Tootoo isn't a fighter. He's an agitator. He doesn't hit enough, he doesn't drop the gloves very often, he doesn't stick up for his team mates, he's not big enough to scare anyone. If he had done what he was brought here to do, he would have been in the lineup in the playoffs.

As I mentioned before, the Preds invested a ton of time and money into Tootoo when he was going through his alcohol and other problems. Why would they let him walk away for nothing, and let him sit during the playoffs also?

LOL. How is he not a fighter? He's had almost 90 fights in his NHL career. Do you have to hit 100 fights to be considered a fighter now? Look at our roster of milk sops, and then you'll know why Tootoo is a fighter. The rest of those guys combined probably don't have 90 fights. An agitator that doesn't fight is someone like Maltby or Cooke. Pretty sad if you can't tell the difference.

Also, he hits more often than any of our current 4th liners. I remember him laying some big hits this season. How often do Miller or Eaves hit anyone? Emmerton couldn't hit a bong. Tootoo excited the Wings fans everytime he was on the ice. Mostly because they've been starving for a guy like that since the last time we dressed an enforcer (Brad May).

He did what he was brought here to do. He hit, worked hard and fought more than the rest of our team combined. Yeah, he doesn't scare the bigger fighters, but it's not his fault he didn't have any backup this season the way Holland assembles the roster. Tootoo had to do all the tough, dirty work in the physicality department.

The Preds let him go because he became expendable. Most 4th liners are expendable, including Tootoo. But on a team like the Wings, he's currently the only player that fills his type of role.

Why didn't he play in the playoffs? Because he's not the type of player Babcock and Holland like.

Guest Playmaker

LOL. So Holland signed him to a 3 year deal at 1.9 million per season because "he's not the type of player Holland likes" Really? He rode the pine in the 2012 playoffs, too. Is he not the type of player Barry Trotz and David Poile like either? Coaches and GMs like the type of players that help them win.

Fourth liners are expendepable? Drew Miller clearly wasn't expendable. Darren Helm isn't expendable. The Grind Line wasn't expendable. 4th liners that do their jobs and contribute aren't expendable.

Guest DeGraa55

LOL. So Holland signed him to a 3 year deal at 1.9 million per season because "he's not the type of player Holland likes" Really? He rode the pine in the 2012 playoffs, too. Is he not the type of player Barry Trotz and David Poile like either? Coaches and GMs like the type of players that help them win.

Fourth liners are expendepable? Drew Miller clearly wasn't expendable. Darren Helm isn't expendable. The Grind Line wasn't expendable. 4th liners that do their jobs and contribute aren't expendable.

Actually they're all expendable.

By expendable, I mean they're easy to find around the market for cheap prices. They're absolutely important for any team's success, but still expendable. Drew Miller is expendable. Helm isn't, but he's more of a 3rd liner when healthy. He's a unique player for us.

Holland signed Downey and May in the past as well. I think we've seen enough from Kenny and Babcock to make a fair assessment that they're not too keen on guys who fight a lot and play a physical style. Maybe they'll occasionally sign a guy like Tootoo or May, but eventually, they phase them out of the lineup. In general, Babcock and Holland prefer smaller, less physical 4th liners. Not big, grinding forwards that like to punish defenders and drop the gloves. If they say otherwise, then their actions don't support their words. We've been a small team on the lower lines for as long as I can remember.

Actually they're all expendable.

Pretty much. Each team only has a handful of players that are untouchable and not expendable.

Certainly, not any 4th line player.

Dude electrified the Jo and his teammates much in the way Helm does. His fighting I can take or leave but his hitting and energy are undeniable.

Its been said on the forums before...opponents were aware wen 22 was on the ice. That in itself is something other than Helm, nobody can offer from our current 4th line.

Again, i wish we had a Dmac but not too many of those around....and sure I would have loved Tootoo to jump on the ice and beat the hell out of Shaw and Bickel but I dont feel the Wings staff want that.

I still rather kill off 4 chArging/roughing penalties than 4 weak ass Cleary/Smith/Abby lazy interference ones.

22 can create havoc for his limited minutes IF the Wings will let him!

Guest Playmaker

By expendable, I mean they're easy to find around the market for cheap prices. They're absolutely important for any team's success, but still expendable. Drew Miller is expendable. Helm isn't, but he's more of a 3rd liner when healthy. He's a unique player for us.

Holland signed Downey and May in the past as well. I think we've seen enough from Kenny and Babcock to make a fair assessment that they're not too keen on guys who fight a lot and play a physical style. Maybe they'll occasionally sign a guy like Tootoo or May, but eventually, they phase them out of the lineup. In general, Babcock and Holland prefer smaller, less physical 4th liners. Not big, grinding forwards that like to punish defenders and drop the gloves. If they say otherwise, then their actions don't support their words. We've been a small team on the lower lines for as long as I can remember.

Pretty much. Each team only has a handful of players that are untouchable and not expendable.

Certainly, not any 4th line player.

LOL. Brad May and Aaron Downey? If you are upset that either of those two didn't earn a spot, really, what more can be said.

I keep hearing he's not one dimensional, but what else does he do besides drop the gloves on the opening faceoff to settle a personal score?

The Wings don't have "big grinding forwards that can drop the gloves" any more or less than any other team does. Because in this century, guys who are big, can hit and contribute at both ends of the ice aren't exactly a dime a dozen. Anyone who's physical, like Abdelkader and can contribute other things, don't fight as often because they're too valuable to be sitting in the box.

1) Tootoo wore out his welcome in Nashville also. Gotta think that if Babcock and Trotz, two of the best, most respected coaches in the NHL are benching him, maybe they know something we don't?

2) We can't use a compliance buyout on him as he makes less than $3M. We could use a regular buyout on him, but I don't the point for a guy who's only got 2 years left at $1.8M

The $3M floor was only for the "accelerated" buyouts last summer, created specifically for Redden and Gomez so they wouldn't be just sent home by their old clubs. Compliance buyouts this summer and next can be used on players with any cap hit. This per capgeek... http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

Guest The Axe

hehe ok I respect that :lol:

:-)

I just want our tough guy to be able to hurt someone and demoralize the other team. Tootoo doesnt offer enough brute strength.

Never liked the Tootoo signing. He's not Detroit matrrial.

What's up with this "holier-than-thou" attitude that so many Wings fans have developed? It's getting to the point where only The Amish can play for Detroit ... except "The Amish Mafia"; they're too "thug" for this organization. I mean, nobody wanted Jeff Carter because he would have been a "bad seed". Nobody wanted Bertuzzi because of "the incident". It seemed like most fans liked Avery when he was here, but then hated him after he left. Most fans had no problem with the Chelios trade, and he was a pretty dirty player in his Montreal and Chicago days. Was Dallas Drake "Detroit material"? Drake was a better goal scorer earlier in his career, but both he and Tootoo play similar games/roles, and Drake was a HUGE presence for Detroit in the '08 Cup run. I think Tootoo could have brought that same presence and intensity if he had been given the chance.

I'm just really not understanding the Tootoo hate on here. I can understand not liking him from his Nashville days, but he's here now, and he brought something to Detroit that this team sorely lacked: TOUGHNESS! He played *mostly* disciplined hockey, came to the defense of his teammates, and probably would have scored more goals than Abdelkadfer had he been given the luxury of playing with Datsyuk. I think people will be glad he's on this team next season, though without a true enforcer or some size up front, Detroit might still be in trouble.

The only thing wrong with Tootoo being a Red Wing is that Babcock has no idea how to and when to use this type of player. Kind of like the May and Downey days. Tootoo could have picked his spots a bit better this season but he excited the crowed on got his team going when he dropped the mitts isn't that his job? As far as him being a liability for taking dumb penalties that is pretty weak at best. I just wish he was a foot taller.

Guest The Axe

What's up with this "holier-than-thou" attitude that so many Wings fans have developed? It's getting to the point where only The Amish can play for Detroit ... except "The Amish Mafia"; they're too "thug" for this organization. I mean, nobody wanted Jeff Carter because he would have been a "bad seed". Nobody wanted Bertuzzi because of "the incident". It seemed like most fans liked Avery when he was here, but then hated him after he left. Most fans had no problem with the Chelios trade, and he was a pretty dirty player in his Montreal and Chicago days. Was Dallas Drake "Detroit material"? Drake was a better goal scorer earlier in his career, but both he and Tootoo play similar games/roles, and Drake was a HUGE presence for Detroit in the '08 Cup run. I think Tootoo could have brought that same presence and intensity if he had been given the chance.

I'm just really not understanding the Tootoo hate on here. I can understand not liking him from his Nashville days, but he's here now, and he brought something to Detroit that this team sorely lacked: TOUGHNESS! He played *mostly* disciplined hockey, came to the defense of his teammates, and probably would have scored more goals than Abdelkadfer had he been given the luxury of playing with Datsyuk. I think people will be glad he's on this team next season, though without a true enforcer or some size up front, Detroit might still be in trouble.

We have high standards for conduct.

Buying Tootoo out would be idiotic, considering we're gonna be regularly playing teams like Boston and Toronto next season. Without Tootoo, we're the softest team in the league.

I beg to differ, we wouldn't be the softest in the league, maybe in the west. Either way we shouldn't buy tootoo out

The guy just doesn't provide anything, he is not an enforcer just an agitator and not a very good hockeyplayer. Rather have a real enforcer and another fourth line guy, didn't like the signing back then and for sure not liking it one year after.

After reading this it is crystal clear you've watched all of ZERO Wings games last year. 5' 9" Tootoo plays a decent hockey game for a 4th liner AND took on some of the biggest meatheads in the league and held his own. I think Tootoo is a great role player, just enough of an enforcer and can play some hockey given a chance. Tootoo is a keeper... get rid of Emmerton, move either Miller or Eaves to centre and make Tootoo a permanent on the 4th line.

After reading this it is crystal clear you've watched all of ZERO Wings games last year. 5' 9" Tootoo plays a decent hockey game for a 4th liner AND took on some of the biggest meatheads in the league and held his own. I think Tootoo is a great role player, just enough of an enforcer and can play some hockey given a chance. Tootoo is a keeper... get rid of Emmerton, move either Miller or Eaves to centre and make Tootoo a permanent on the 4th line.

After reading this it's crystal clear someone is as big a Tootoo fan as possible

I'd rather get a guy like Prust OR a real enforcer plus a solid fourth line guy, but to each their own.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest The Axe

After reading this it's crystal clear someone is as big a Tootoo fan as possible

I'd rather get a guy like Prust OR a real enforcer plus a solid fourth line guy, but to each their own.

Im with you. Tootoo cant help us.

that is what tootoo is, but for whatever reason babs kept tootoo on a leash most of the year, which is what he would do with a "real enforcer" too

guys that hustle their ass off are my kind of players. i hope we keep him

Okay. Chris Conner "hustled his ass off" too. He also nearly equaled Tootoo's 2012-13 offensive production in only 8 games played (2011-12). It's also pretty easy to hustle when you know you're only getting 6-10 minutes a night because you're too much of a danger to your own team if you played any more.

People perceive Tootoo as "trying harder" because he does things that other players don't do. In Minnesota, I refer to this as the "Cal Clutterbuck effect", except that Clutterbuck is significantly better at hockey than Tootoo. The optics of guy making a run at somebody who no longer has the puck show up nicely on television. Tootoo's entire game is basically designed to make him look like he's more valuable than he actually is. If he didn't do that, he'd have been out of the league years ago. Nobody is actually afraid of fighting him or going into the corners with him. Statistically speaking, there's a good chance that Tootoo won't hurt you in the corners, given that he's on the bench 52 minutes of the game (plus another 2 in the box).

He's 5'9". People need to stop talking about his offensive game as if he's Dino friggin' Ciccarelli, or his physical game as if he's Milan Lucic.