• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

What's up with this "holier-than-thou" attitude that so many Wings fans have developed? It's getting to the point where only The Amish can play for Detroit ... except "The Amish Mafia"; they're too "thug" for this organization. I mean, nobody wanted Jeff Carter because he would have been a "bad seed". Nobody wanted Bertuzzi because of "the incident". It seemed like most fans liked Avery when he was here, but then hated him after he left. Most fans had no problem with the Chelios trade, and he was a pretty dirty player in his Montreal and Chicago days. Was Dallas Drake "Detroit material"? Drake was a better goal scorer earlier in his career, but both he and Tootoo play similar games/roles, and Drake was a HUGE presence for Detroit in the '08 Cup run. I think Tootoo could have brought that same presence and intensity if he had been given the chance. 

I'm just really not understanding the Tootoo hate on here. I can understand not liking him from his Nashville days, but he's here now, and he brought something to Detroit that this team sorely lacked: TOUGHNESS! He played *mostly* disciplined hockey, came to the defense of his teammates, and probably would have scored more goals than Abdelkadfer had he been given the luxury of playing with Datsyuk. I think people will be glad he's on this team next season, though without a true enforcer or some size up front, Detroit might still be in trouble.    

We have high standards for conduct.

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Tootoo better get more ice time nextseason. 

#43 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Buying Tootoo out would be idiotic, considering we're gonna be regularly playing teams like Boston and Toronto next season. Without Tootoo, we're the softest team in the league.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Buying Tootoo out would be idiotic, considering we're gonna be regularly playing teams like Boston and Toronto next season. Without Tootoo, we're the softest team in the league.

I beg to differ, we wouldn't be the softest in the league, maybe in the west. Either way we shouldn't buy tootoo out

#45 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

The guy just doesn't provide anything, he is not an enforcer just an agitator and not a very good hockeyplayer. Rather have a real enforcer and another fourth line guy, didn't like the signing back then and for sure not liking it one year after.

After reading this it is crystal clear you've watched all of ZERO Wings games last year. 5' 9" Tootoo plays a decent hockey game for a 4th liner AND took on some of the biggest meatheads in the league and held his own. I think Tootoo is a great role player, just enough of an enforcer and can play some hockey given a chance. Tootoo is a keeper... get rid of Emmerton, move either Miller or Eaves to centre and make Tootoo a permanent on the 4th line.

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

After reading this it is crystal clear you've watched all of ZERO Wings games last year. 5' 9" Tootoo plays a decent hockey game for a 4th liner AND took on some of the biggest meatheads in the league and held his own. I think Tootoo is a great role player, just enough of an enforcer and can play some hockey given a chance. Tootoo is a keeper... get rid of Emmerton, move either Miller or Eaves to centre and make Tootoo a permanent on the 4th line.

After reading this it's crystal clear someone is as big a Tootoo fan as possible

I'd rather get a guy like Prust OR a real enforcer plus a solid fourth line guy, but to each their own.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 June 2013 - 12:22 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#47 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

After reading this it's crystal clear someone is as big a Tootoo fan as possible

I'd rather get a guy like Prust OR a real enforcer plus a solid fourth line guy, but to each their own.

Im with you. Tootoo cant help us.

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

that is what tootoo is, but for whatever reason babs kept tootoo on a leash most of the year, which is what he would do with a "real enforcer" too

#49 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

guys that hustle their ass off are my kind of players. i hope we keep him

#50 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

guys that hustle their ass off are my kind of players. i hope we keep him

Okay.  Chris Conner "hustled his ass off" too.  He also nearly equaled Tootoo's 2012-13 offensive production in only 8 games played (2011-12).  It's also pretty easy to hustle when you know you're only getting 6-10 minutes a night because you're too much of a danger to your own team if you played any more.

People perceive Tootoo as "trying harder" because he does things that other players don't do.  In Minnesota, I refer to this as the "Cal Clutterbuck effect", except that Clutterbuck is significantly better at hockey than Tootoo.  The optics of guy making a run at somebody who no longer has the puck show up nicely on television.  Tootoo's entire game is basically designed to make him look like he's more valuable than he actually is.  If he didn't do that, he'd have been out of the league years ago.  Nobody is actually afraid of fighting him or going into the corners with him.  Statistically speaking, there's a good chance that Tootoo won't hurt you in the corners, given that he's on the bench 52 minutes of the game (plus another 2 in the box).

He's 5'9".  People need to stop talking about his offensive game as if he's Dino friggin' Ciccarelli, or his physical game as if he's Milan Lucic.

#51 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

He's 5'9".  People need to stop talking about his offensive game as if he's Dino friggin' Ciccarelli, or his physical game as if he's Milan Lucic.

Who's doing that?  I don't get it.  He's the most physical presence on the team, one of three guys who will drop the gloves sometimes, brings speed and energy and chips in the odd point from time to time.  I don't think anyone is calling him Lucic, Dino or even Tikkanen for that matter.  He's fun to watch, contributes something no one else wearing red does and worth his relatively low price point.  Character aside, I'll take Tootoo over Downey or May every time.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#52 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

I beg to differ, we wouldn't be the softest in the league, maybe in the west. Either way we shouldn't buy tootoo out

I guess that depends on what happens over the offseason around the league, but without Tootoo, we're easily one of the softest teams in the league, possibly the softest.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#53 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

If 22 gets 10-12 mins per game next season he'll be 25-35 pt player. mark it dude!

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

If 22 gets 10-12 mins per game next season he'll be 25-35 pt player. mark it dude!

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. No way tootoo scores over 20 pts.

#55 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

No way tootoo scores over 20 pts.

How many points do you see him putting up next season, considering he recorded 8 points in 42 games this season?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#56 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Toots will have 20 by all star break!

#57 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

How many points do you see him putting up next season, considering he recorded 8 points in 42 games this season?

Tootoo had the same amount of points as Drew Miller last season.  In two fewer games.  And Miller was a -8. 

Yet most posters here would rather have Drew Miller on the 4th line?  Why?  Just because he kills penalties?  We have like 8 forwards who can kill penalties. We have no one who has any balls to fight more than once or twice a season.  

None of these arguments against Tootoo make any sense, when you consider who's being advocated over him.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 17 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#58 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Tootoo had the same amount of points as Drew Miller last season.  In two fewer games.  And Miller was a -8.  

Yet most posters here would rather have Drew Miller on the 4th line?  Why?  Just because he kills penalties?  We have like 8 forwards who can kill penalties.  We have no one who has any balls to fight more than once or twice a season.  

For some reason, some people consider Tootoo "one-dimensional" just because he fights. His offensive capabilities are overlooked or blatantly ignored by some on here.

I don't see why we can't have Miller AND Tootoo on the 4th line. I've grown to like Miller. Emmerton is the weak link and should be shipped out, in my opinion.

As I've said before, we're the softest team in the league without Tootoo.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#59 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

For some reason, some people consider Tootoo "one-dimensional" just because he fights. His offensive capabilities are overlooked or blatantly ignored by some on here.

I don't see why we can't have Miller AND Tootoo on the 4th line. I've grown to like Miller. Emmerton is the weak link and should be shipped out, in my opinion.

As I've said before, we're the softest team in the league without Tootoo.

We're the softest team with him too.  

People need to stop pretending like our 4th liners are somehow more talented than gritty players who fight.  This isn't the 2002 Wings.   Our 4th line was a joke most of the season.  That's why Babcock had Sammy playing center on the 4th line at one point in the playoffs.  Too many throwaway players there.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#60 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Now that would make  interesting family gatherings...

'Evolution' created by Offsides