• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Paul MacLean won the Jack Adams

Rate this topic

Ottawa Senators head coach Paul MacLean has won the Jack Adams award as the NHL's coach of the year. MacLean led an injury-riddled Senators team to a 25-17-6 record and a 4-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens in the first round of the playoffs.
MacLean was a top-three selection on 56 of the 83 ballots cast, including 28 first-place votes, for 206 points, ahead of second-place Joel Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks (22 first-place votes, 160 points). Points are allocated on a 5-3-1 basis for first through third place.
MacLean guided the Senators to a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs despite the extended absence of several key players due to injury.

TSN.ca

Guest Crymson

The Mustachioed One deserved it, and I'm glad he won.

Surely you mean the Walrus?

Quenneville shouldn't even have been nominated. After the NBC crew explained that it took Scotty Bowman talking to Kane to get him going again, it seems to me that any off-ice "coaching" that Quenneville gets credit for is actually all Scotty's doing.

Not to offend anyone cause I like MacLean and all.

But I don't agree.

Especially on the runners up as well.

Care to elaborate? (with regard to MacLean, not too concerned with the other two)

Personally I think MacLean did what the Jack Adams represents: got the best out of his team during the regular season, dealing with losing 3 star players, arguably the most important players to their team, is taken as evidence that he was able to deal with adversity and therefore coached his team to the best they could do with the available roster (which is why I think Babcock should have been considered as well)

Can't believe Quenneville was 2nd. More consideration for having a stacked roster than Babs ever got, even in 07-08/08-09.

The Mustachioed One deserved it, and I'm glad he won.

Q shouldn't have even been in the running. MacLean should have won it and did, Babcock should have been runner up to his former padwan and 3rd choice....whatever. I love how guys like MacLean and McLellan get nods for the trophy, but they both served under Babcock and he doesn't get s*** for credit.

Care to elaborate? (with regard to MacLean, not too concerned with the other two)

Personally I think MacLean did what the Jack Adams represents: got the best out of his team during the regular season, dealing with losing 3 star players, arguably the most important players to their team, is taken as evidence that he was able to deal with adversity and therefore coached his team to the best they could do with the available roster (which is why I think Babcock should have been considered as well)

Here's on elaborating thanks for asking

1. Babcock

2. Todd Richards

3. Michel Therrien

MacLean would have been 4th on my list.

Awesome for Paul, he is such a good coach, never truly realized it when he was an assistant. Joe Q looks like a child molester, my GF said that to me yesterday and now every time I see him I think that, lol.

Well they keep trying to give genius awards to Q during these playoffs for constantly swapping his lines, but frankly there have been so many it doesn't seem like strategy as much as blind mice throwing darts at a dartboard.

My only problem with Maclean winning is that even if I wasn't a Wings fan I'd be saying Babs should have had it. When you consider what he lost (not just retirement but our insane injury list) and the fact that he still got the Wings to the playoffs. The fact that Q was nominated was maybe the most irritating thing about the awards this year.

Here's on elaborating thanks for asking

1. Babcock

2. Todd Richards

3. Michel Therrien

MacLean would have been 4th on my list.

Elaborate: worked out with great care and nicety of detail

Nicety: a delicate or fine point

Detail: to relate or report with complete particulars

Complete: having all modifying or complementary elements included; thorough

Just saying.

Babcock should have won plain and simple. Q shouldn't even be there. Scotty is actually coaching him.

It's good to see the award go to the coach of a team that wasn't the front runner all year. Kind of like Hitchcock last year. As opposed to the Norris for example, which nominees are simply the top point getting defensemen.

Good for MacLean, and well-deserved, but it really does point out the problem with the Jack Adams: Babcock is generally regarded as one of, if not THE very best coach in the league (as result of a NHL.com article/poll a few months back), and yet has never won the best coach award. Seems a bit silly to me. The reason has always been the stacked teams, and yet Quenneville gets plenty of consideration despite having the same this season. This season was far and away Babcock's biggest challenge and he really squeezed everything out of the team, still little consideration.

At this point, even with his "students" (so-to-speak) winning Jack Adams, and some of his best coaching seasons already in the books, its fair to wonder if Babcock will ever get his Adams. There are several NHL awards that have the same problem, over-qualifying some things like MVP or best defenseman instead of just picking the best of the best. This is not to diminish a well-deserved win by the Walrus, but it does make me wonder.