• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetts

Wings interested in Weiss

Rate this topic

Elliotte Friedman just reported that the Wings, Stars and Leafs are in on talks for Weiss. I'll post a link as soon as one is available.

Could be a nice pickup.

Edit: Also, recall that he's about to become a UFA.

Edited by Zetts

Malik had tweeted this

Hotstove stuff: Panthers, Weiss talking about contract extension w/ Pat Morris in person. DAL, DET, TOR have asked about Weiss's rights. -- George Malik (@georgemalik)

Perhaps just one of the many upcoming subtle messages to Filppula that basically demands him to lower his price.

Won't happen. Flip's days in Detroit are done.

Malik followed up on this with the following...

Re: Weiss and Detroit: as @johnniyo noted, it's not the first time the Wings have called about him. I'd imagine that the theory is that if the Wings lose Filppula's speed, they'd want to replace it (thus my crazy theory that Stalberg is headed to Detroit).

The only thing I'd be worried about with Weiss is his injury history. If he stays healthy he seems like he might be capable of being a 50-60 point guy on the Wings.

He doesn't have an injury history to speak of. He was injured this year. Before that he consistently played 75-80 games a season for the last six years. Having an injury doesn't necessarily mean one has a "history" of injuries.

Weiss would be a nice fit. Gives the Red Wings the luxury of playing Z and Pavel together, while Weiss centers the second line. I never felt like Filppula was enough of a threat offensively on his own to handle that role. Weiss has a more consistent history of producing.

Do we need a 6'0 tall, 30 year old, left handed centerman? I know he's a good player when healthy, but he seems like something we already have.

Then again, he would help our current top 6, meaning guys like Cleary and Abdelkader wouldn't have to play on it.

Thinking long term, not just this season.

Yes, but there would be no guarantee that Weiss re-upped with Detroit this summer.

I know that, at the deadline, there was no guarantee that Filpulla re-signed either, but at least he helped us win a round vs Anaheim. Something Weiss' injury would have made impossible.

Would have been an unnecessarily risky move for Holland to make at the time.

Also, I don't like either Detroit or Toronto's chances of obtaining Weiss' rights. Doubt Florida would deal with divisional opponents. If Freidman is correct, you'd have to like The Stars chances.

I like the idea of adding some playmaking skill, but Detroit has a glut of forwards right now. When it all pans out, I'd much rather see Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar on the team full time over various veteran players currently signed, or currently UFA. Nothing wrong with Weiss - just not sure they have the room for him without compromising the impending youth movement.

He doesn't have an injury history to speak of. He was injured this year. Before that he consistently played 75-80 games a season for the last six years. Having an injury doesn't necessarily mean one has a "history" of injuries.

Well he missed 41 games in 2006 due to a wrist injury and missed most of this season for the same reason. I'm just going by what seems to be somewhat of a history.