• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thinking long term, not just this season.

Yes, but there would be no guarantee that Weiss re-upped with Detroit this summer.

I know that, at the deadline, there was no guarantee that Filpulla re-signed either, but at least he helped us win a round vs Anaheim. Something Weiss' injury would have made impossible.

Would have been an unnecessarily risky move for Holland to make at the time.

Also, I don't like either Detroit or Toronto's chances of obtaining Weiss' rights. Doubt Florida would deal with divisional opponents. If Freidman is correct, you'd have to like The Stars chances.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#22 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

We don't need Weiss

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

We're awfully smallish down the middle.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I like the idea of adding some playmaking skill, but Detroit has a glut of forwards right now. When it all pans out, I'd much rather see Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar on the team full time over various veteran players currently signed, or currently UFA. Nothing wrong with Weiss - just not sure they have the room for him without compromising the impending youth movement.

#25 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

He doesn't have an injury history to speak of.  He was injured this year.  Before that he consistently played 75-80 games a season for the last six years.  Having an injury doesn't necessarily mean one has a "history" of injuries. 

Well he missed 41 games in 2006 due to a wrist injury and missed most of this season for the same reason. I'm just going by what seems to be somewhat of a history.

#26 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

I like the idea of adding some playmaking skill, but Detroit has a glut of forwards right now. When it all pans out, I'd much rather see Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar on the team full time over various veteran players currently signed, or currently UFA. Nothing wrong with Weiss - just not sure they have the room for him without compromising the impending youth movement.

THIS. My thoughts exactly. We already have some vets signed like bert and sammy so we cant really do this without buyouts or leaving the kids out another year.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#27 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I agree with everyone leaning towards the idea that we already have enough smallish forwards who are pass first.

Give me size and goal scoring before Weiss

#28 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I agree with everyone leaning towards the idea that we already have enough smallish forwards who are pass first.

Give me size and goal scoring before Weiss

Like who?

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#29 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I agree with the sentiment that in signing Weiss, we might just be signing another small, 2-way forward with a good defensive game. Which we don't need. We need someone with decent size, decent hands, a hard shot, and drive. TBH, I don't really feel that Weiss possesses any of those besides decent hands and some drive. That about sums up Flip already, though.

If it were me, I'd make a run at Horton if it would even be possible to rip him away from Boston, and then call my off-season complete.

The fact that we might have to pay more since he will be coming from a new division rival makes the Weiss move kind of dubious for me. Also, his injury history scares me.  o.O

#30 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Like who?

I'm guessing he's referring to Clarkson or Horton

I agree with the sentiment that in signing Weiss, we might just be signing another small, 2-way forward with a good defensive game. Which we don't need. We need someone with decent size, decent hands, a hard shot, and drive. TBH, I don't really feel that Weiss possesses any of those besides decent hands and some drive. That about sums up Flip already, though.

If it were me, I'd make a run at Horton if it would even be possible to rip him away from Boston, and then call my off-season complete.

The fact that we might have to pay more since he will be coming from a new division rival makes the Weiss move kind of dubious for me. Also, his injury history scares me.  o.O

I agree, but he doesn't really have a history of injury. He's had 2 wrist injuries over 8 seasons.

#31 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Like who?

I'm not saying that I personally have a solution, but I know what we already have and what we need.

Like Clarkson or Horton as was mentioned.

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm not saying that I personally have a solution, but I know what we already have and what we need.

Like Clarkson or Horton as was mentioned.

Agreed, I am not against Weiss but only if the Wings can afford him on top of Horton/Clarkson. People have to keep in mind, Wings need to drastically change their philosophy regarding size and toughness if they want to survive the east.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I really don't see us getting Horton. He's been gravy for the Bruins, and they're our new divisional-arch-rivals-until-the-end-of-time. Even if he tests the waters, he's going to be asking for a whole effing lot in the way of both coin and term because of his performance of late, and because you don't want to be a middle-earning 2-yearer when you're a one-more-blow-and-I'm-a-jello-head. You want security. Long-term. Plus, we don't really do the whole "power forward" thing. It's so philistine, so uncouth.

I'd prefer Clarkson, but it sounds like he's about as unlikely as Horton.

Bickell's not going to bail for the Red Wings.

We may get Stalberg.

Or Weiss.

We have a wicked one-two in Datsyuk-Zetterberg. But, with Flip leaving (I guess?), we're looking at a sharp dropoff between the second and third line. By which I mean, if and when Zetterberg jumps up to play with Datsyuk on the first line, who becomes the second-line pivot? Helm? I was actually kinda keen on that idea...back when Helm was a healthy, hungry force to be reckoned with. Franzen's a possibility, but the Powers That Be want him on the wing, and for good reason. Anderson impressed, but he's not a top-sixer. (Not yet.) Emmerton is out of his depth unless he's on the fourth line, Abdelkader has a great thing going as Datsyuk's piano-puller, Sheahan's still probably at least a a season away from even cracking the lineup, and even then, he'd be a bottom-six heavy. Jarnkrok is going to get a shot at the Big Gig this coming fall. I guess if he makes the cut, he'd be the guy we're looking for (re: What happens when Zetterberg shifts up a line?) But, my feeling is, even if he leaves the Red Wings Brass breathless, speechless, with jaws through the floor and ground and halfway to China, we're gonna want a solid second-or-third-liner in the mix. A guy like Weiss.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we snag him. Then again, like someone mentioned, we're going to be in the Panthers' division. And, like I mentioned, we are very smallish down the middle. (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, and Jankrok are all 5'11. Emmerton and Ferraro are 6'0. Sheahan's big, but, again, bottom-sixer.) A part of me wonders if Team Holland likes Weiss because, first and foremost and above and beyond everything else, he's 5'11.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

So I wouldn't be surprised if we snag him. Then again, like someone mentioned, we're going to be in the Panthers' division. And, like I mentioned, we are very smallish down the middle. (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, and Jankrok are all 5'11. Emmerton and Ferraro are 6'0. Sheahan's big, but, again, bottom-sixer.) A part of me wonders if Team Holland likes Weiss because, first and foremost and above and beyond everything else, he's 5'11.

13, 40, and 43 have another thing in common, which is that all three of them are excellent defensive centers.  I'd rather have a defensively responsible center with good footspeed than a big lumbering guy that just hits people.  You can still add size on the Wings, as we've seen with Bickell, Lucic, etc. in these playoffs.  Datsyuk frequently played with some combination of Bertuzzi, Holmstrom or Franzen (now Abdelkader) to add "grit" to what he brings.

But I guess I just don't know anything about Weiss' defensive game.  It's always assumed that players will get out of Florida and blow up elsewhere, but that doesn't necessarily happen (see: Bouwmeester, Jay).  Weiss was a high draft pick that was supposed to be a franchise player, and that never actually happened.  There are a lot of teams that have 2nd line centers with numbers like his (Matt Cullen on the Wild comes to mind), and I'm not sure those are viewed as "ideal" options.  This is also a player that made $4.1 million in salary last year, whereas Filppula (one year younger) made $3.5 million.  I would agree that Filppula has more "open market" value as an upside-rich UFA, but anyone thinking we can just sign him as a "cheaper version of Fippula" might want to think again.  If the prices were close, I'd just assume have kept #51.

#35 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well he missed 41 games in 2006 due to a wrist injury and missed most of this season for the same reason. I'm just going by what seems to be somewhat of a history.

41 games in 2006 was a lot but his wrist never caused him to miss a game again until the last 26 games of this season. Seems to me that his wrist isn't so much an ongoing problem as it is two unfortunate injuries 7 years apart.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#36 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Weiss has something I don't see in Filppula.....heart.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#37 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Sorry but why? What would he give us? Size? Nope. he is 5-11/190. Scoring? Not really. he puts up a lot of 45-55 point seasons. Toughness? Nope. Why would we wan him over Filppula? Where is the upgrade? In fact Filppula might be a better player. On top of that we are talking about trading for him-moving assets. Why? 

#38 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

If I had to pick keeping Filppula or trading him out for Weiss, I pick Weiss. Of course it depends on whatever assets are involved though

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

13, 40, and 43 have another thing in common, which is that all three of them are excellent defensive centers.  I'd rather have a defensively responsible center with good footspeed than a big lumbering guy that just hits people.

Well, I definitely don't want a big lumbering guy that just hits people. Though, again, Sheahan'll be up soon. (O YES I DID) Jokes aside, I agree: DZH is the best two-way one-two-three in the league. But doesn't this very fact sort of scream for our next forward acquisition, if he's a center, to be a non-"Oh-look-another-5'11-Selke-type. Because we definitely need one of those"-type?

You can still add size on the Wings, as we've seen with Bickell, Lucic, etc. in these playoffs.

True. But I was talking about our centers, specifically.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well, I definitely don't want a big lumbering guy that just hits people. Though, again, Sheahan'll be up soon. (O YES I DID) Jokes aside, I agree: DZH is the best two-way one-two-three in the league. But doesn't this very fact sort of scream for our next forward acquisition, if he's a center, to be a non-"Oh-look-another-5'11-Selke-type. Because we definitely need one of those"-type?

True. But I was talking about our centers, specifically.

You don't really need big centers to be a big tough team.  None of the Bruins' centers (who play) are over 200 pounds.  Yet everybody correctly assumes that they're a big tough team.  As long as we got bigger at the wings we don't necessarily need huge centers. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."