• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

hes like val but is consistent and always produces. ill take him.

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sorry but why? What would he give us? Size? Nope. he is 5-11/190. Scoring? Not really. he puts up a lot of 45-55 point seasons. Toughness? Nope. Why would we wan him over Filppula? Where is the upgrade? In fact Filppula might be a better player. On top of that we are talking about trading for him-moving assets. Why? 

Filppula has one season with more than 20 goals and 40 pts.  Weiss has four 20+ goal seasons and six 40+ point seasons.  Weiss also is a career 50% faceoff guy, is noticeably faster than Filppula,  shoots more often, plays stellar defense, and kills penalties.  He's a MUCH better player than Filppula.  I don't know if he's the answer to all of Detroit's offensive woes, but to suggest that he's not is a significant upgrade over Filppula is absurd. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

When it comes to centers I believe you want primarily speed and defensive ability. Because you have to cover more areas of the ice and have to protect the high slot on d. Big slow guys I'd would want on the wing

#44 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

hes like val but is consistent and always produces. ill take him.

He has always been the top center getting 20 mins a night and about double the PP time that Filppula got.
Here's a comparison of even strength points. Filppula consistently scored more frequently at even strength. Weiss always got a lot more PP time on the top unit. Filppula would score even more if he were less responsible defensivley.

2012-13

Weiss       17GP,  2ESP, scored an ES point every 121 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every 8.5 games and he scored 2 PP points with 2:28 PP time/game

Filppula   41GP, 14ESP, scored an ES point every  42 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every  2.9 games and he scored 3 PP points with 2:43 PP time/game

2011-12

Weiss        80GP, 39ESP, scored an ES point every 32.7 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every 2 games and he scored 17PP points with 3:17 PP time/game

Filppula     81GP 54ESP, scored an ES point every 22.3 mins of ES ice-time,1 ES point every 1.5 games and he scored 11PP points with 2:17 PP time/game

2010-11   

Weiss        76GP 28ESP, scored an ESP every 40.4 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.7 games and he scored 19 PP points with 3:30 PP time/game

Filppula     71GP 31ESP, scored an ESP every 32.1mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.3 games and he scored 08 PP points with 2:01 PP time/game

2009-10  

Weiss       80GP 37ESP, scored an ESP every 33.1 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 22 PP points with 3:27 PP time/game

Filppula    55GP 25ESP, scored an ESP every 32.2 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 08 PP points with 2:27 PP time/game

2008-09

Weiss      78GP 39ESP, scored an ESP every 27.07 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.0 games and he scored 21 PP with 3:24 of PP time/game

Filppula   80GP 36ESP, scored an ESP every 30.1, mins of ES ice-time, 1ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 04 PP with 0:47 of PP time/game

Edited by Johnz96, 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#45 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

He has always been the top center getting 20 mins a night and about double the PP time that Filppula got.
Here's a comparison of even strength points. Filppula consistently scored more frequently at even strength. Weiss always got a lot more PP time on the top unit. Filppula would score even more if he were less responsible defensivley.

2012-13

Weiss       17GP,  2ESP, scored an ES point every 121 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every 8.5 games and he scored 2 PP points with 2:28 PP time/game

Filppula   41GP, 14ESP, scored an ES point every  42 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every  2.9 games and he scored 3 PP points with 2:43 PP time/game

2011-12

Weiss        80GP, 39ESP, scored an ES point every 32.7 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ES point every 2 games and he scored 17PP points with 3:17 PP time/game

Filppula     81GP 54ESP, scored an ES point every 22.3 mins of ES ice-time,1 ES point every 1.5 games and he scored 11PP points with 2:17 PP time/game

2010-11   

Weiss        76GP 28ESP, scored an ESP every 40.4 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.7 games and he scored 19 PP points with 3:30 PP time/game

Filppula     71GP 31ESP, scored an ESP every 32.1mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.3 games and he scored 08 PP points with 2:01 PP time/game

2009-10  

Weiss       80GP 37ESP, scored an ESP every 33.1 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 22 PP points with 3:27 PP time/game

Filppula    55GP 25ESP, scored an ESP every 32.2 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 08 PP points with 2:27 PP time/game

2008-09

Weiss      78GP 39ESP, scored an ESP every 27.07 mins of ES ice-time, 1 ESP every 2.0 games and he scored 21 PP with 3:24 of PP time/game

Filppula   80GP 36ESP, scored an ESP every 30.1, mins of ES ice-time, 1ESP every 2.2 games and he scored 04 PP with 0:47 of PP time/game

On this we agree. Weiss=Filppula at best. Fil is a little younger and a little heavier. That being said I don't think we have the money for either one of them unless we choose not to resign Brunner and Cleary.

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

stats

It's easy to ignore the relative quality of each player's linemates, isn't it? The Panthers have been one of the worst teams in the league since the lockout. Up until two seasons ago, the ownership hardly spent any money; when it was necessary for them to do so in order to reach the salary floor---and thus have access to funds from revenue sharing---they responded by shelling out oversized contracts to players of dubious worth.

In other words, Weiss has played with mediocre linemates for his entire career. And he has done so against the top lines of the opposition.

#47 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

It's easy to ignore the relative quality of each player's linemates, isn't it? The Panthers have been one of the worst teams in the league since the lockout. Up until two seasons ago, the ownership hardly spent any money; when it was necessary for them to do so in order to reach the salary floor---and thus have access to funds from revenue sharing---they responded by shelling out oversized contracts to players of dubious worth.

In other words, Weiss has played with mediocre linemates for his entire career. And he has done so against the top lines of the opposition.

I responded to someone who said Weiss has consistently been more productive than Fil .Weiss has played with the best and most offensive platers on his team. Filppula often centered the 3rd line. More often than not when players move to a better team they score less.

Edited by Johnz96, 18 June 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#48 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Filppula and Weiss are pretty much identical in my book, except Weiss has the track record and has proved he can hold down a top line, let alone a 2nd line. Flips hasn't really proved that yet, and hopefully he does cause I doubt holland would trade out Val for Weiss

I think Holland is much more likely to trade for the rights to Matthias than he is for Weiss

Edited by number9, 18 June 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#49 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think Holland is much more likely to trade for the rights to Matthias than he is for Weiss

I would absolutely love that! Matthias works hard and has a pretty good balance of skill and heart imo.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#50 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Filppula has one season with more than 20 goals and 40 pts.  Weiss has four 20+ goal seasons and six 40+ point seasons.  Weiss also is a career 50% faceoff guy, is noticeably faster than Filppula,  shoots more often, plays stellar defense, and kills penalties.  He's a MUCH better player than Filppula.  I don't know if he's the answer to all of Detroit's offensive woes, but to suggest that he's not is a significant upgrade over Filppula is absurd. 

Weiss wouldn't be an answer to our offensive woes, but he wouldn't hurt.  Somebody has to replace Flip, right?  Might as well be a guy who can put up more points.  I don't get the anti-Weiss attitude.  If he's our big acquisition I agree, it's not going to hand us the Cup, but he prevents us from getting worse and makes us a little more consistent up front.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#51 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Not a surprise the Wings are interested.Weiss made Kris Versteeg look like an all star winger not so long ago and wouldn't mind to see him as a Fil's replacement.

#52 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Filppula and Weiss are pretty much identical in my book, except Weiss has the track record and has proved he can hold down a top line, let alone a 2nd line. Flips hasn't really proved that yet, and hopefully he does cause I doubt holland would trade out Val for Weiss

Matthias for Bertuzzi!

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#53 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

So Weiss can put up those numbers as well as play a two-way game at center, and Flip only had one high scoring season as a winger. I think I'd consider Weiss an upgrade.

#54 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

They actually measure that stat at hockeyanalysis.com.  Filppula's teammates are WAY better than Weiss' across the board.  That's saying something when Filppula's second and third line teammates are better than Weiss' first line support. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I responded to someone who said Weiss has consistently been more productive than Fil .Weiss has played with the best and most offensive platers on his team. Filppula often centered the 3rd line. More often than not when players move to a better team they score less.

Weiss has consistently produced more than Val.  The fact that he has earned more PP time on his respective team, and made good use of that time by scoring a lot, shouldn't be held against him.  There's a reason he gets more PP time and more even strength time than Val does...he's a better player.  If Val scored as often as Weiss does on the PP then he'd see more minutes. 

#56 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

People have to keep in mind, Wings need to drastically change their philosophy regarding size and toughness if they want to survive the east.

ATTENTION - GMR1983 - Bring Back The Bruise Bros - RyanBarnes - Detroit #1 Fan - Newfy - ATTENTION

Kenny's in trouble, and needs our help...Looks as though we'll have our work cut out for us...To the 'Goon Mobile'!

Edited by F.Michael, 19 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#57 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

ATTENTION - GMR1983 - Bring Back The Bruise Bros - RyanBarnes - Detroit #1 Fan - Kip Winger - ATTENTION

Kenny's in trouble, and needs our help...Looks as though we'll have our work cut out for us...To the 'Goon Moblie'!

I think a line of MacIntyre / Helm / McGrattan would fix a lot.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#58 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

ATTENTION - GMR1983 - Bring Back The Bruise Bros - RyanBarnes - Detroit #1 Fan - Kip Winger - ATTENTION

Kenny's in trouble, and needs our help...Looks as though we'll have our work cut out for us...To the 'Goon Moblie'!

I call shotgun :P
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm having a hard time determining whether I'm being added in here out of sarcasm, or if you actually think I'm in favor of "gooning it up" based on my previous posts around this forum.  If the latter, then I've obviously been very unclear for the last several years.  In short, I've never EVER been in favor of gooning it up.  Although I did once make a fantasy roster of goons just to screw with Blueadams, but that was tongue in cheek. 

#60 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

Weiss has consistently produced more than Val.  The fact that he has earned more PP time on his respective team, and made good use of that time by scoring a lot, shouldn't be held against him.  There's a reason he gets more PP time and more even strength time than Val does...he's a better player.  If Val scored as often as Weiss does on the PP then he'd see more minutes. 

You could have said the same thing comparing Quincey and Kindl before Quincey was traded here.

Edited by Johnz96, 19 June 2013 - 08:01 AM.