• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

All but confirms buyouts for Briere and Bryz.

http://sports.yahoo....-220323503.html

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#2 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Typical Philly move, get an overrated guy and over pay him.

#3 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I feel like Philly should be forced to use a compliance buyout on Pronger or not be allowed to keep him on LTIR.

There is no chance he will ever play again, and their ability keep him on LTIR is allowing them to drive up FA prices every offseason.

#4 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

How Streit earned a million dollar raise is beyond me. Living in Philly I love laughing at there complete lack of good management. 

#5 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

I feel like Philly should be forced to use a compliance buyout on Pronger or not be allowed to keep him on LTIR.

There is no chance he will ever play again, and their ability keep him on LTIR is allowing them to drive up FA prices every offseason.

Idk, I'm not disagreeing with you, but not exactly agreeing with you.  I'm on the fence I guess.  I definitely see your point and it's a completely valid one.  But where I struggle to agree with you is if you have a player who gets a career ending injuring it's tough to say that it should count against that team.  However this would only apply to 35+ contracts so it's kind of like sign a player at your own risk.  Idk, it's just a tough call.  Idk if you can go on a case to case basis, because this one wasn't a great contract to begin with.  Didn't he sign like 2 days after he turned 35? What a screw up that was, if that's the case

#6 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

All but confirms buyouts for Briere and Bryz.

http://sports.yahoo....-220323503.html

Bingo

Bingo again.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 17 June 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#7 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Idk, I'm not disagreeing with you, but not exactly agreeing with you.  I'm on the fence I guess.  I definitely see your point and it's a completely valid one.  But where I struggle to agree with you is if you have a player who gets a career ending injuring it's tough to say that it should count against that team.  However this would only apply to 35+ contracts so it's kind of like sign a player at your own risk.  Idk, it's just a tough call.  Idk if you can go on a case to case basis, because this one wasn't a great contract to begin with.  Didn't he sign like 2 days after he turned 35? What a screw up that was, if that's the case

The problem that I have with Philly using LITR as a way to circumvent Pronger's cap-hit is the fact that they could easily use a compliance buyout on Pronger, and be free of his contact and inability to play, but NOooOOOOoooo they're going to use those buyouts on those horrible $6 million cap-hits, not Pronger's paltry $4.9.

I also glare at Boston for the similar move with Savard.  Although as a whole, I have a lot more sympathy for the Boston Bruins and the fact that Savard is no longer able to play than I am for Philly and their contract with Pronger and their overall management and tendency to overpay free-agents.

Edited by e_prime, 17 June 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#8 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

The problem that I have with Philly using LITR as a way to circumvent Pronger's cap-hit is the fact that they could easily use a compliance buyout on Pronger, and be free of his contact and inability to play, but NOooOOOOoooo they're going to use those buyouts on those horrible $6 million cap-hits, not Pronger's paltry $4.9.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can use an amnesty buyout on someone on LTDI.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#9 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Who does he get traded to in two years or less?

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#10 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can use an amnesty buyout on someone on LTDI.

This makes no sense to me.  You can bury their contract due to injury but can't buy them out even though they're unlikely to ever play again?

Streit gets traded to Columbus in two years... probably for Bobrovsky. 

Edited by e_prime, 17 June 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#11 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

This makes no sense to me.  You can bury their contract due to injury but can't buy them out even though they're unlikely to ever play again?

Like I said, I may be wrong. Maybe one of these LGWs cap brainiacs can back me up. I agree that it's silly.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#12 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Wow.  Just, wow. He's making more than Kronner

#13 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Too long of a deal, considering Streit's age. However, he'll be good for them in the short-term.

If I was to guess, Philly's defense will look something along the lines of this:

Timonen-Streit
Schenn-Coburn
Grossman-Gustafsson
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Streit gets traded to Columbus in two years... probably for Bobrovsky. 

This rule prevents teams from shorting injured players on salary. Buyouts do not give a player the full value of his contract. As such, teams could simply look at injured players and say, "It appears you'll be having problems for awhile. Goodbye---oh, and by the way, we're going to give you only 2/3 of your salary."

That said, I agree that it should be doable with agreement by both sides.

#15 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

He's not overrated as some has said, but he is massively overpaid for too long. After 35 contract too, ouch

#16 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Too long of a deal, considering Streit's age. However, he'll be good for them in the short-term.

If I was to guess, Philly's defense will look something along the lines of this:

Timonen-Streit
Schenn-Coburn
Grossman-Gustafsson

So, who will they overpay to be their goaltender?  They can't possibly be rolling with Steve Mason as their #1.

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I like this every season you can count on the Flyers doing something brave. Their GM really has balls of steel. But honestly what did people expect? Streit 14,25 over 3 years with the Islanders so it was clear, he wanted more aav and termwise. Wouldn't surprise me if the Flyers are in on the Luongo, Miller chances too. Also I highly disagree with not allowing Pronger to stay on LTIR. The guy has no peripheral vision since months, you can not force him to come back, let him fight through it on LTIR and hopefully he can back.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#18 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

So, who will they overpay to be their goaltender?  They can't possibly be rolling with Steve Mason as their #1.

That's a good question. Possibly Niklas Backstrom?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#19 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Dunno if I'd say he's overrated, but overpaid - I can agree with ya there.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Dunno if I'd say he's overrated, but overpaid - I can agree with ya there.

It's a two-way street for sure.   ;)   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.