• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

e_prime

Flyers sign Streit - 4 yrs/5.25million

Rate this topic

I feel like Philly should be forced to use a compliance buyout on Pronger or not be allowed to keep him on LTIR.

There is no chance he will ever play again, and their ability keep him on LTIR is allowing them to drive up FA prices every offseason.

I feel like Philly should be forced to use a compliance buyout on Pronger or not be allowed to keep him on LTIR.

There is no chance he will ever play again, and their ability keep him on LTIR is allowing them to drive up FA prices every offseason.

Idk, I'm not disagreeing with you, but not exactly agreeing with you. I'm on the fence I guess. I definitely see your point and it's a completely valid one. But where I struggle to agree with you is if you have a player who gets a career ending injuring it's tough to say that it should count against that team. However this would only apply to 35+ contracts so it's kind of like sign a player at your own risk. Idk, it's just a tough call. Idk if you can go on a case to case basis, because this one wasn't a great contract to begin with. Didn't he sign like 2 days after he turned 35? What a screw up that was, if that's the case

Bingo

Typical Philly move, get an overrated guy and over pay him.

Bingo again.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Idk, I'm not disagreeing with you, but not exactly agreeing with you. I'm on the fence I guess. I definitely see your point and it's a completely valid one. But where I struggle to agree with you is if you have a player who gets a career ending injuring it's tough to say that it should count against that team. However this would only apply to 35+ contracts so it's kind of like sign a player at your own risk. Idk, it's just a tough call. Idk if you can go on a case to case basis, because this one wasn't a great contract to begin with. Didn't he sign like 2 days after he turned 35? What a screw up that was, if that's the case

The problem that I have with Philly using LITR as a way to circumvent Pronger's cap-hit is the fact that they could easily use a compliance buyout on Pronger, and be free of his contact and inability to play, but NOooOOOOoooo they're going to use those buyouts on those horrible $6 million cap-hits, not Pronger's paltry $4.9.

I also glare at Boston for the similar move with Savard. Although as a whole, I have a lot more sympathy for the Boston Bruins and the fact that Savard is no longer able to play than I am for Philly and their contract with Pronger and their overall management and tendency to overpay free-agents.

Edited by e_prime

The problem that I have with Philly using LITR as a way to circumvent Pronger's cap-hit is the fact that they could easily use a compliance buyout on Pronger, and be free of his contact and inability to play, but NOooOOOOoooo they're going to use those buyouts on those horrible $6 million cap-hits, not Pronger's paltry $4.9.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can use an amnesty buyout on someone on LTDI.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can use an amnesty buyout on someone on LTDI.

This makes no sense to me. You can bury their contract due to injury but can't buy them out even though they're unlikely to ever play again?

Streit gets traded to Columbus in two years... probably for Bobrovsky.

Edited by e_prime

Guest Crymson

This makes no sense to me. You can bury their contract due to injury but can't buy them out even though they're unlikely to ever play again?

Streit gets traded to Columbus in two years... probably for Bobrovsky.

This rule prevents teams from shorting injured players on salary. Buyouts do not give a player the full value of his contract. As such, teams could simply look at injured players and say, "It appears you'll be having problems for awhile. Goodbye---oh, and by the way, we're going to give you only 2/3 of your salary."

That said, I agree that it should be doable with agreement by both sides.

Too long of a deal, considering Streit's age. However, he'll be good for them in the short-term.

If I was to guess, Philly's defense will look something along the lines of this:

Timonen-Streit

Schenn-Coburn

Grossman-Gustafsson

So, who will they overpay to be their goaltender? They can't possibly be rolling with Steve Mason as their #1.

I like this every season you can count on the Flyers doing something brave. Their GM really has balls of steel.

But honestly what did people expect? Streit 14,25 over 3 years with the Islanders so it was clear, he wanted more aav and termwise.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flyers are in on the Luongo, Miller chances too.

Also I highly disagree with not allowing Pronger to stay on LTIR. The guy has no peripheral vision since months, you can not force him to come back, let him fight through it on LTIR and hopefully he can back.

I like this every season you can count on the Flyers doing something brave. Their GM really has balls of steel. But honestly what did people expect? Streit 14,25 over 3 years with the Islanders so it was clear, he wanted more aav and termwise. Wouldn't surprise me if the Flyers are in on the Luongo, Miller chances too. Also I highly disagree with not allowing Pronger to stay on LTIR. The guy has no peripheral vision since months, you can not force him to come back, let him fight through it on LTIR and hopefully he can back.

"Brave" is not the word I would use. I would agree that he is not afraid to make a move that he thinks would better his team, however not sure that those moves are really all that well thought out.

I think Philly should go after Bernier, but as mentioned above they'll probably look at Miller, Luongo, Backstrom. Hell, what about Tim Thomas. LOL.

I like this every season you can count on the Flyers doing something brave. Their GM really has balls of steel. But honestly what did people expect? Streit 14,25 over 3 years with the Islanders so it was clear, he wanted more aav and termwise. Wouldn't surprise me if the Flyers are in on the Luongo, Miller chances too. Also I highly disagree with not allowing Pronger to stay on LTIR. The guy has no peripheral vision since months, you can not force him to come back, let him fight through it on LTIR and hopefully he can back.

"Brave" is not the word I would use. I would agree that he is not afraid to make a move that he thinks would better his team, however not sure that those moves are really all that well thought out.

I think Philly should go after Bernier, but as mentioned above they'll probably look at Miller, Luongo, Backstrom. Hell, what about Tim Thomas. LOL.

And thats exactly what I kind off like, it is always funny with them. If am Regier I'd be looking at Brayden Schenn and Couture for a signed Miller, Holmer might be desperate enough to do it. Remember the Carter and Richards to LA stuff? Pure gold

Guest DeGraa55

I agree but I think even in the future with other players that no one should be allowed to remain on ltir for more than two years. At that point they must be forced to retire. Meaning their cap hit would be worse and itll penalize the team for signing a stupid contract with them.

The thing is, while it's very unlikely at this point, there is technically a chance Pronger could play again.

I'd completely agree if they were using it on a guy who was mostly too old and slow to compete in the NHL anymore and had a convenient "injury." But given it's a concussion, I'm fine with it. Pronger was still a very good player when he last played and has 4 more years on his contract. Like I said, it's unlikely, but anything can happen.