• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jersey Wing

Datsyuk agrees to 3-year extension, $22.5m total, $7.5m/year

Rate this topic

This is longer than I expected. I really thought he'd only want to do a year or two at a time at his age. But, come on, we all know that real reason that he's staying in Detroit is so he can keep Dr. Rahmani.

Thrilling day in RedWingsLand. And the people rejoice.

This is longer than I expected. I really thought he'd only want to do a year or two at a time at his age. But, come on, we all know that real reason that he's staying in Detroit is so he can keep Dr. Rahmani.

Thrilling day in RedWingsLand. And the people rejoice.

I think 3 years was pretty much perfect given his level of play. After that I see him piecemealing contracts a year at a time like Lidstrom.

Guest mjtm77

The only negative-and it has almost nothing to do with Datsyuk, is we are just about max'd out cap wise. The extra 800K to Datsyuk doesn't matter so much, but there isn't much room left. As of today we have about 10.6 million to spend. RFA Nyquist, Andersson, Smith, and Kindl will eat up about 5 million of it, leaving 5.6 million to spend. There have already been public comments about trying to resign Brunner and Cleary. That will take up the rest.

The only other thing left to do, is use our buyouts. Does/will Holland use those? I know some will say we can make trades. True. But we can't take on any/much cap. Most of the guys making big money have no trade value or we want to keep, so no real relief can be found through this.

u do know that the contact he just signed does not start until after next season

Here is something interesting I thought of today.

Cup wins:

1998--- 1 year between cups

2002--- 3 years between cups

2008--- 5 years between cups

So if the trend of odd numbers continues, the Red Wings should win the cup in 2015. The chance of this actually happening actually has a much better chance now that we have Pavs for 4 more years :)

This certainly extends the Wings window to win a championship. Not that they can't contend beyond Datsyuk's time, but he's a once in a lifetime talent. Thrilled we get to watch his magic for four more years.

Now get him some wingers!

wingers? We have Abby locked down just gotta resign Cleary and we're good there, right? :P

i haven't gone though this thread yet but i shouldn't see a single post criticizing this signing

Oh there will be. When he goes through a slump. If he gets injured for any length of time. If he slows down even a fraction in 2 or 3 years time. Then the moaners will be out in force.

In the meantime I'm happy to have 4 more years of Pav, and happy that this almost certainly means #13 to the rafters, and Pav in the HHOF.

u do know that the contact he just signed does not start until after next season

Yes. And now Miller is signed long term, brunner will be we hope, and I bet Cleary gets more than 1 year. Again resigning Datsyuk is great. It is the other moves that are more concerning. Roster is full, cap is spent, and we didn't get any better.

Oh there will be. When he goes through a slump. If he gets injured for any length of time. If he slows down even a fraction in 2 or 3 years time. Then the moaners will be out in force.

In the meantime I'm happy to have 4 more years of Pav, and happy that this almost certainly means #13 to the rafters, and Pav in the HHOF.

He probably needs at the absolute very least one more cup to have his jersey up there in the rafters.