285 replies to this topic

#1 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Link to article.

Dreger says that Pavel Datsyuk re-signing with Detroit indicates that Valtteri Filppula will not re-sign with the Red Wings, and Dreger believes that the 29-year-old Filppula wants as much as $5.5 million for as long as an EIGHT-year contract, or a least a seven-year deal;

I'd say that's that. I don't know what Filppula is smoking.

#2 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

If true bye Filps, have success wherever you are going to sign. I can really see the Blue Jackets making a big push for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#3 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

5.5, 7-8 years, no thanks he had ONE season worth that. Where does he get off trying to bully the organization that picked him 95th overall and took the time and money to develop him into a top 6 player? He should be content with signing a 1-2 year deal with the wings for 3.5-4 million and prove himself then.

#4 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Laughable. Thanks for forcing our hand to find a more consistent and cheaper option!

Edited by Danielsm, 19 June 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#5 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

If true then he'll have to find it elsewhere. Good luck Flip and hope you find success with another team.

#6 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I like Fil and think this season was not indicative of what kind of player he usually is, but that kind of money and term would be crazy for him. If Datsyuk wasn't going to re-sign I would have considered giving Fil a good contract for him to stay as a backup-plan, but now he's expendable. With Nyquist/Tatar coming up and Järnkrok not far away either we have enough guys that can fill Fil's shoes. 

#7 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

If true then he'll have to find it elsewhere. Good luck Flip and hope you find success with another team.

Maybe Jim Nill wants him..

#8 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Maybe Jim Nill wants him..

Heh, wouldn't that be something. Signing Flip to that contract and signing Gonchar for, what was he asking for? $5mil/per?

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 19 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#9 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

Maybe he's just posturing in hopes of being talked down to 4 rather than being offered 3.5.

Or maybe he's letting other teams know that he's available.  In this year's market, he shouldn't have trouble finding a home for more money.  Too bad.  I like the guy.

#10 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Trade his rights to Anaheim so he can play a season with his idol... that is if he decides to come back

#11 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Sorry, not taking what Darren Dreger says as gospel.  Most of the times it seems like these guys just throw s*** on the wall to see what sticks.  Wasn't Datsyuk supposed to be going back to Russia? Mike Babcock leaving to coach Michigan?  Jarome Ignlina to Boston a done deal?  There's so many unfounded rumors, it's silly to give them any credence.  If Pavel wanted to stay, he was going to get a contract.  I don't really see how signing Datsyuk has any relevence to what Fipplua is going to do.  Clearly, if Datsyuk had indicated he wasn't going to sign another contract, it would have made keeping him more of a priority, but I don't see it as an either or thing. 

#12 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

well I don't think anyone could argue that we didn't give him enough time to develop haha. He's asking for the money and terms that the player he was hoped he could become by this point would be worth, rather than the player he actually is.

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Sorry, not taking what Darren Dreger says as gospel.  Most of the times it seems like these guys just throw s*** on the wall to see what sticks.  Wasn't Datsyuk supposed to be going back to Russia? Mike Babcock leaving to coach Michigan?  Jarome Ignlina to Boston a done deal?  There's so many unfounded rumors, it's silly to give them any credence.  If Pavel wanted to stay, he was going to get a contract.  I don't really see how signing Datsyuk has any relevence to what Fipplua is going to do.  Clearly, if Datsyuk had indicated he wasn't going to sign another contract, it would have made keeping him more of a priority, but I don't see it as an either or thing. 

A writer at Kukla's Korner was the origin of the Datsyuk rumors, and it was Aaron Ward and Bob McKenzie who broke the Iginla story. More, the latter is hardly something to castigate them over, given that it was true until Iginla changed his mind.

Re-signing Datsyuk means two things: one, the Wings have no pressing need for another center; and two, the Wings have less cap space two seasons from now than they would have had otherwise. This makes Filppula both expendable and not very affordable, though I consider it highly doubtful that Holland would have given him what he's asking for regardless.

Edited by Crymson, 19 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#14 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Filp didn't help my fantasy roster this season either. I used a high pick to get him because he was supposed to have a "break out" season. As for the money, um, no.

See you on the Filp-side.

#15 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

A writer at Kukla's Korner was the origin of the Datsyuk rumors, and it was Aaron Ward and Bob McKenzie who broke the Iginla story. More, the latter is hardly something to castigate them over, given that it was true until Iginla changed his mind.

Re-signing Datsyuk means two things: one, the Wings have no pressing need for another center; and two, the Wings have less cap space two seasons from now than they would have had otherwise. This makes Filppula both expendable and not very affordable, though I consider it highly doubtful that Holland would have given him what he's asking for regardless.

This. The possible threat of not having center depth was Flip's big leverage. That's gone. Datsyuk will be here long enough for the team to produce another viable center.

#16 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

So I guess the team will look something like this

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Tatar
Cleary - Helm - Sammy
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Bertuzzi
Miller- Eaves - Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - Quincey
Smith - DeKeyser
Lashoff

?

#17 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

The article linked is also from Kukla's Korner.   It's rumors and innuendo. It says Dreger "believes".  Based on what?  Talking to an agent, a Red Wings insider or just a wild guess?   Would it surprise me if Filppula leaves?  Not at all.  But I'm not taking a regurgitated hockey rumor from a site who has been wrong before as fact as to what the terms Filppula is asking for. 

#18 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

So I guess the team will look something like this

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Tatar
Cleary - Helm - Sammy
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Bertuzzi
Miller- Eaves - Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - Quincey
Smith - DeKeyser
Lashoff

?

Andersson and Coca Cola.

Anyway, Holland has a garden that needs to be weeded.

Edited by rick zombo, 19 June 2013 - 06:15 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#19 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I really like Filpulla and think his numbers don't really tell the story on the type of player he is, but there is no way in the world I'd go over 4, and I'm a huge fan of his game.

I'm not going to flip out over rumors just yet, we all want to be paid, and there is a argument he is worth 5+ million the year before with his 60+ points and defensive prowess, it's not something I agree with, but he at least has had a season where his numbers would be deserving of it. I'd certainly let another team enjoy his game for that much though.

#20 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Andersson and Coca Cola.

Anyway, Holland has a garden that needs to be weeded.

Knew I forgot someone. So the starting roster will probably look something like

Cleary - Zetterberg - Sammy
Abdelkader - Helm - Betuzzi
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo
Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - Quincey
Smith - Cola

Howard
Monster