• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

I know that this glut of forwards has been staring us all in the face for a while now.

But as the Wings' offseason moves along and guys re-sign, and Holland waxes in typically conservative fashion about "17 forwards this" and "Cleary that" , I'm left wondering if there really is any chance of Detroit getting that top six winger everyone keeps talking about (which, to me, is starting to seem as elusive as Bigfoot).

If I were Filppula I would want to go to Vancouver. He could be a great second line center, moving Kesler to wing. That would be a great second line start.

Of course they would have to dump salary in order to get him. But I think it would be a great fit.

If I were Filppula I would want to go to Vancouver. He could be a great second line center, moving Kesler to wing. That would be a great second line start.

Of course they would have to dump salary in order to get him. But I think it would be a great fit.

Agreed, this would give them two very dangerous lines but if they choose Torts there is no way, a guy like Filps would sign there. Also they have to make some tough decisions this season, buyout Luongo and Biallard? If I were Acquilani I'd put Ballard on LTIR, buyout Luongo and go from there.

He was considered day-to-day at the end of the Chicago series. Unless he does actually end up requiring surgery in the off season, I would doubt that he wouldn't be ready to go at the start of camp ergo eligible for compliance buy out.

Samuelsson has not been on IR in quite some time.

Of course I can't find the article now, but I JUST read that he can't be bought out because of his injury status. Maybe if they waited to do it until he was cleared for camp or something, but they couldn't do it at the start of FA, which they really don't have to since you can exceed the cap by so much until the season starts.

5.5, 7-8 years, no thanks he had ONE season worth that. Where does he get off trying to bully the organization that picked him 95th overall and took the time and money to develop him into a top 6 player? He should be content with signing a 1-2 year deal with the wings for 3.5-4 million and prove himself then.

We would agree that $5.5 mil AAV is too much for Filppula, but in terms of Filppula's right to be a free agent or demand whatever he wants, I think you're off-base.

You're saying Filppula owes it to the Wings to accept whatever low-ball offer we throw his way? That a player in the prime of his career needs to "prove" himself by taking one-year deals until he either (a) Has an outlier season where he blows up and then gets overpaid; or (b) Gets his head run into the boards and sees a serious diminution in his value and future earning potential?

Um, no. If I'm Filppula and another team offers me $10 million more (over the life of a multi-year deal) AND a higher profile role on the top lines and PP unit...and all I have to do is live somewhere else and wear a different color sweater? Yeah, I would at least consider that. Filppula is no longer the "property" of the Detroit Red Wings come July 5th - there was nothing stopping his from extending him previously if Holland wanted to lock him up on a multi-year deal.

Just so I understand the logic. Filppula would be a "great" second line center if he were to play for Vancouver, but he can't do that in Detroit? I guess I don't understand how he can be "great" there, but not here.

Just so I understand the logic. Filppula would be a "great" second line center if he were to play for Vancouver, but he can't do that in Detroit? I guess I don't understand how he can be "great" there, but not here.

Because they have Kesler who is a real 40 goal forward on their second line. He would take all the pressure off of Flip.

I know that this glut of forwards has been staring us all in the face for a while now.

But as the Wings' offseason moves along and guys re-sign, and Holland waxes in typically conservative fashion about "17 forwards this" and "Cleary that" , I'm left wondering if there really is any chance of Detroit getting that top six winger everyone keeps talking about (which, to me, is starting to seem as elusive as Bigfoot).

I read this, chuckled, and thought, "Yeah, but would he play center or left wing?"

Now I'm actually wondering about it.

So Flip failed in Detroit because there was too much pressure on him?

Possibly. Every year he heard how it was his year to step up and realize his full potential and how he hasn't hit his ceiling. I think Fil is a great forward and would love to keep him on this team but what he's reportedly asking for is insaaaaaane in every sense of the word.

He was considered day-to-day at the end of the Chicago series. Unless he does actually end up requiring surgery in the off season, I would doubt that he wouldn't be ready to go at the start of camp ergo eligible for compliance buy out.

No surgery needed for his sore booby. God i hope Kenny sends him packing

No surgery needed for his sore booby. God i hope Kenny sends him packing

That's cool that you say something like that when you have no idea what an NHL player goes through. You never saw what happened to him or felt whatever pain he felt. Never question an NHL player's toughness.

Rereading the comments from Kenny I think the Wings have already made their decision and both sides know it. Good luck Filps wherever you are going to end up. This is a very weak UFA class so I think he will get at least 5 per from a team desperate for offense (Predators, Blues, Jackets, Flames or Buffalo if they trade Vanek).

Hell no....wouldn't take him for half the money and 6 years...let him go....send Cleary with him

The guy is one of the best players on the team. Very underrated, drafted and developed in house. If he won't take 3.5-4 million, then gonna have to let him go. Letting Hudler go was a HUGE mistake, and it will be a HUGE mistake to let Flipulla go too. The Red Wings waste so much cap space on people who don't even play, they can afford to overpay a player by a million here or there.

Edited by TheOwl

Guest Crymson

The guy is one of the best players on the team. Very underrated, drafted and developed in house. If he won't take 3.5-4 million, then gonna have to let him go. Letting Hudler go was a HUGE mistake, and it will be a HUGE mistake to let Flipulla go too. The Red Wings waste so much cap space on people who don't even play, they can afford to overpay a player by a million here or there.

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here? You know, the guy who has only averaged more than .5ppg once in his career, who is prone to brutal fits of inconsistency, who lacks any sort of physicality, who is invisible when he isn't scoring, and who, in general, has simply not panned out as the player he was expected to be? On no planet does Filppula's play merit a salary of $5m. And he is by absolutely no means one of the best players on the team.

Protip: to be underrated, one needs to exceed expectations first. Filppula has not done so.

Edited by Crymson

In a cap world, letting Hudler go was not a mistake, it was precisely the right thing to do. And in a cap world, letting Filpulla go is also absolutely the right thing to do. Flip is now an UFA, and UFAs are overpaid, because desperate GMs sign them to desperate contracts, driving up the price of UFAs everywhere. Over-paying for role/depth players is the cardinal sin of the cap world.

I like Flip, I've always liked him, and I've always defended him. He's been a good player for us, but now is the right time to let him go. He's going to get $4-5M a year from some GM, and with our pipeline of good, young, CHEAP, prospects we can afford to let him go.

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here? You know, the guy who has only averaged more than .5ppg once in his career, who is prone to brutal fits of inconsistency, who lacks any sort of physicality, who is invisible when he isn't scoring, and who, in general, has simply not panned out as the player he was expected to be? On no planet does Filppula's play merit a salary of $5m. And he is by absolutely no means one of the best players on the team.

We have to be watching different games. Apart from Pav or Z, who is better than Flip on forward? Cleary got points this playoffs a lot from pucks bouncing off him and Franzen is a lazy POS who only scores goals when other players get him a spectacular scoring chance. Fil has tons more skill than Cleary and tons more work ethic than Franzen. He is an incredible puck possession player, usually wins battles along the boards with his finesse and is excellent (maybe best on the team) at skating the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive zone. Not to mention always back checking and being great on defense. You can't say anything of these things about Cleary or Franzen.

If you rate players but outcome versus expectation (which is what you;re doing), yeah, he's not going to be near the top. But if you rate players on what they actually do, he's the best forward on the team not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

It's just like Hossa's playoff run with us. The way people talked about it you would think he had 3 points in 30 games, when in reality he was still one of our top scorers, he just didn't play as well as we thought he would. That doesn't mean he sucks.

And just for the record, I don't think we should give him over $4m long term at least until he can prove that he is the 70 points Filppula, not the 40 point Filppula. I'm just saying he's a better overall player than both Franzen and Cleary.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest Crymson

We have to be watching different games. Apart from Pav or Z, who is better than Flip on forward? Cleary got points this playoffs a lot from pucks bouncing off him and Franzen is a lazy POS who only scores goals when other players get him a spectacular scoring chance. Fil has tons more skill than Cleary and tons more work ethic than Franzen. He is an incredible puck possession player, usually wins battles along the boards with his finesse and is excellent (maybe best on the team) at skating the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive zone. Not to mention always back checking and being great on defense. You can't say anything of these things about Cleary or Franzen.

If you rate players but outcome versus expectation (which is what you;re doing), yeah, he's not going to be near the top. But if you rate players on what they actually do, he's the best forward on the team not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

It's just like Hossa's playoff run with us. The way people talked about it you would think he had 3 points in 30 games, when in reality he was still one of our top scorers, he just didn't play as well as we thought he would. That doesn't mean he sucks.

Filppula is not worth $5m, plain and simple. I don't think he's even worth $4m. You say Filppula contributes a lot; I disagree. I think he is far from an impact player, and he's invisible when he isn't producing. He fit best as a third-line center, and he wants to be paid like a first-line center.

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here?

According to Babs in the post-Chicacgo presser he is/was our 4th best player. But does he worth 5,5 Million for over 7 years ? Of course not. Only question is if this is just some kind of tactic to get as much money out of Holland as possible or if he's testing the market. I'd like to see him sign 4 to 4,5 for two years here but looking at our roster I doubt that it will happen.

Maybe he's just posturing in hopes of being talked down to 4 rather than being offered 3.5.

Or maybe he's letting other teams know that he's available. In this year's market, he shouldn't have trouble finding a home for more money. Too bad. I like the guy.

Holland usually gets players to sign before the end of the season. If Detroit was going to retain Fil it would have been done by now.

Which leads to what we were all complaining about at the trade deadline. We lose Fil for absolutely nothing.

Holland usually gets players to sign before the end of the season. If Detroit was going to retain Fil it would have been done by now.

Which leads to what we were all complaining about at the trade deadline. We lose Fil for absolutely nothing.

Wouldn't necessarily say nothing yet. Kenny can always flip his rights to another team for a draft pick.