• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

You're not paintng a full picture since you don'tmention how many games he played. Unless you don't think he would have scored 6 more points if he played 27 more games to make a full season in 09-10.

There is really no point in rehashing the entire Filppula argument if you're going to ignore facts.

Water must be blue, until you actually think about it, right?

I'm not ignoring facts and I suggest you choose your words carefully if you'd like to continue this discussion.

We can disagree without the smartass comments.

That's because you're taking Filppula's ONE good season in there. That's the whole point, nobody believes that that's the player he really is. He finally breaks through and then regresses.

Here's some more telling stats of the top 5 seasons for each player (from best to worst):

Filppula: 66 pts, 40 pts, 39 pts, 36 pts, 35 pts

Weiss: 61 pts, 60 pts, 57 pts, 49 pts, 48 pts.

And Weiss played on a crap team for most of those years.

There is no way Filppula is better.

If you just want to look on the surface, yeah, Weiss is way better than Filppula. If you actually want to know the facts, think about it for more than 3 seconds. Weiss has a much more significant role on the team. He's been their #1 center, Flip is our #3 center. I'll run the numbers for you.

Last five seasons:

Filppula: 328 games, 197 points: .60 ppg

Weiss: 331 games, 231 points: .7 ppg

So he's had a much bigger role on the team with a ton more ice time over a period of time where Filppula often wasn't even on the powerplay and he scored only slightly more.

I'm not saying Flip is better, but there is no argument that Weiss is any better.

If you just want to look on the surface, yeah, Weiss is way better than Filppula. If you actually want to know the facts, think about it for more than 3 seconds. Weiss has a much more significant role on the team. He's been their #1 center, Flip is our #3 center. I'll run the numbers for you.

Last five seasons:

Filppula: 328 games, 197 points: .60 ppg

Weiss: 331 games, 231 points: .7 ppg

So he's had a much bigger role on the team with a ton more ice time over a period of time where Filppula often wasn't even on the powerplay and he scored only slightly more.

I'm not saying Flip is better, but there is no argument that Weiss is any better.

Flip also played with two of the best players in the world, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

PS Even if he wasn't on the same line as either of them, their presence on the team meant that Flip lined up against lower quality players than Weiss did night in and night out.

Edited by Shaman464

And? What he is getting paid now makes no difference in this world, his cap hit is important. Flip wants 5.5 million AAV. Hes not worth that, hes worth 4-4.5 tops, especially after how badly he s*** the bed last year.

My point is that Filppula could have come in at a low cap hit just like Franzen if we still had the old CBA. If Franzen was a FA this year, you think he would only be asking for $3.9m?

But really who knows what he would have done? Maybe he goes on a hot streak and scores 2 goals a game for 27 games. Maybe he fails to register a point for the entire rest of the season.

We don't know. That's why its perfectly reasonable to assume that he would have scored at a relavtiely similar pace. Thats not even bringing up how well he did when he came back from injury and played well centering players like Cleary, Williams, Miller and Leino. http://hockey.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?players=545&sent=go&games=2009-2010%3AR

Flip also played with two of the best players in the world, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

The entire time?

I'm not ignoring facts and I suggest you choose your words carefully if you'd like to continue this discussion.

I don't want to continue this discussion on account of you ignoring facts.

PS Even if he wasn't on the same line as either of them, their presence on the team meant that Flip lined up against lower quality players than Weiss did night in and night out.

Fair argument.