• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Link to article.

Dreger says that Pavel Datsyuk re-signing with Detroit indicates that Valtteri Filppula will not re-sign with the Red Wings, and Dreger believes that the 29-year-old Filppula wants as much as $5.5 million for as long as an EIGHT-year contract, or a least a seven-year deal;

I'd say that's that. I don't know what Filppula is smoking.

5.5, 7-8 years, no thanks he had ONE season worth that. Where does he get off trying to bully the organization that picked him 95th overall and took the time and money to develop him into a top 6 player? He should be content with signing a 1-2 year deal with the wings for 3.5-4 million and prove himself then.

I like Fil and think this season was not indicative of what kind of player he usually is, but that kind of money and term would be crazy for him. If Datsyuk wasn't going to re-sign I would have considered giving Fil a good contract for him to stay as a backup-plan, but now he's expendable. With Nyquist/Tatar coming up and Järnkrok not far away either we have enough guys that can fill Fil's shoes.

Maybe he's just posturing in hopes of being talked down to 4 rather than being offered 3.5.

Or maybe he's letting other teams know that he's available. In this year's market, he shouldn't have trouble finding a home for more money. Too bad. I like the guy.

Guest Playmaker

Sorry, not taking what Darren Dreger says as gospel. Most of the times it seems like these guys just throw s*** on the wall to see what sticks. Wasn't Datsyuk supposed to be going back to Russia? Mike Babcock leaving to coach Michigan? Jarome Ignlina to Boston a done deal? There's so many unfounded rumors, it's silly to give them any credence. If Pavel wanted to stay, he was going to get a contract. I don't really see how signing Datsyuk has any relevence to what Fipplua is going to do. Clearly, if Datsyuk had indicated he wasn't going to sign another contract, it would have made keeping him more of a priority, but I don't see it as an either or thing.

well I don't think anyone could argue that we didn't give him enough time to develop haha. He's asking for the money and terms that the player he was hoped he could become by this point would be worth, rather than the player he actually is.

Guest Crymson

Sorry, not taking what Darren Dreger says as gospel. Most of the times it seems like these guys just throw s*** on the wall to see what sticks. Wasn't Datsyuk supposed to be going back to Russia? Mike Babcock leaving to coach Michigan? Jarome Ignlina to Boston a done deal? There's so many unfounded rumors, it's silly to give them any credence. If Pavel wanted to stay, he was going to get a contract. I don't really see how signing Datsyuk has any relevence to what Fipplua is going to do. Clearly, if Datsyuk had indicated he wasn't going to sign another contract, it would have made keeping him more of a priority, but I don't see it as an either or thing.

A writer at Kukla's Korner was the origin of the Datsyuk rumors, and it was Aaron Ward and Bob McKenzie who broke the Iginla story. More, the latter is hardly something to castigate them over, given that it was true until Iginla changed his mind.

Re-signing Datsyuk means two things: one, the Wings have no pressing need for another center; and two, the Wings have less cap space two seasons from now than they would have had otherwise. This makes Filppula both expendable and not very affordable, though I consider it highly doubtful that Holland would have given him what he's asking for regardless.

Edited by Crymson

Filp didn't help my fantasy roster this season either. I used a high pick to get him because he was supposed to have a "break out" season. As for the money, um, no.

See you on the Filp-side.

A writer at Kukla's Korner was the origin of the Datsyuk rumors, and it was Aaron Ward and Bob McKenzie who broke the Iginla story. More, the latter is hardly something to castigate them over, given that it was true until Iginla changed his mind.

Re-signing Datsyuk means two things: one, the Wings have no pressing need for another center; and two, the Wings have less cap space two seasons from now than they would have had otherwise. This makes Filppula both expendable and not very affordable, though I consider it highly doubtful that Holland would have given him what he's asking for regardless.

This. The possible threat of not having center depth was Flip's big leverage. That's gone. Datsyuk will be here long enough for the team to produce another viable center.

So I guess the team will look something like this

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Tatar

Cleary - Helm - Sammy

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Bertuzzi

Miller- Eaves - Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - DeKeyser

Lashoff

?

Guest Playmaker

The article linked is also from Kukla's Korner. It's rumors and innuendo. It says Dreger "believes". Based on what? Talking to an agent, a Red Wings insider or just a wild guess? Would it surprise me if Filppula leaves? Not at all. But I'm not taking a regurgitated hockey rumor from a site who has been wrong before as fact as to what the terms Filppula is asking for.

So I guess the team will look something like this

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Tatar

Cleary - Helm - Sammy

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Bertuzzi

Miller- Eaves - Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - DeKeyser

Lashoff

?

Andersson and Coca Cola.

Anyway, Holland has a garden that needs to be weeded.

Edited by rick zombo

I really like Filpulla and think his numbers don't really tell the story on the type of player he is, but there is no way in the world I'd go over 4, and I'm a huge fan of his game.

I'm not going to flip out over rumors just yet, we all want to be paid, and there is a argument he is worth 5+ million the year before with his 60+ points and defensive prowess, it's not something I agree with, but he at least has had a season where his numbers would be deserving of it. I'd certainly let another team enjoy his game for that much though.

Andersson and Coca Cola.

Anyway, Holland has a garden that needs to be weeded.

Knew I forgot someone. So the starting roster will probably look something like

Cleary - Zetterberg - Sammy

Abdelkader - Helm - Betuzzi

Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - Cola

Howard

Monster

Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - Cola

Howard

Monster

You trying to troll us? lol

That roster would induce meltdowns of epic proportions here on LGWs.

No DeKeyser, Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, or big UFA?

The only good thing is thinking about a healthy Helm.

Seriously though, I doubt Holland, even in his most frustrating times, would do this to us.

Also, you'd have to lock up some of those kids in a basement to keep Babcock from opting to play them over guys like Cola and Tootoo, to name a couple.

You trying to troll us? lol

That roster would induce meltdowns of epic proportions here on LGWs.

No DeKeyser, Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, or big UFA?

The only good thing is thinking about a healthy Helm.

Seriously though, I doubt Holland, even in his most frustrating times, would do this to us.

Also, you'd have to lock up some of those kids in a basement to keep Babcock from opting to play them over guys like Cola and Tootoo, to name a couple.

Haha I kno I kno. I just figure holland is more likely to hold them down and wait for injury before he plays them full time. We do have abundance at every position

The reason why we can guess about Filppula heading out is really very simple. No cap. As of tody we have 10.6 million left to spend. RFA's Kindl, Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson will eat up at least 5 of that. That leaves 5.6 million with Brunner, Cleary, and Filppula to sign. We can either sign Filppula or Brunner and Cleary. The rumors are the later 2 will be kept. That would still be 17 forwards, 8 Dmen, and 2 G's. 4 have to be cut, bought out, traded or sent down to the minors as it is. Sorry Fil, but there is no room with the RW's. Good luck.

Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - Cola

Howard

Monster

You've got to be kidding me.

AHAHAHAHA....

Is this from February?

Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - Cola

Howard

Monster

Seeing the name "Sammy" on that roster almost makes me sick... What about Tatar? Isn't he out of minor league options?