• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#241 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

?For a guy who has only registered more than 45 points or so, what, once? No thanks. I can't believe he's looking for anything over $4 mil.

#242 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings' negotiations with Valtteri Filppula revealed he believes he's no. 1 center, should be paid as such.”

Nuff said.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#243 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Bwahahahaha.

#244 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Key word: rumored.

Seriously, with Lecavalier gone, who is a better option for 2C on the FA market? I hope we resign Flip at this point, even if we have to go as high as $4.5m. Because lets face it, we're not going to make a big time trade and there are no better options that are less of a gamble than Flip.

I think both Weiss and Grabovski are better players.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#245 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

So:

Alfredsson-Zetterberg-Franzen
Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Tatar-Helm-Andersson
Miller-Emdog-Eaves
Bertuzzi-Samuelsson

Ericsson-Kronwall
Quincey-Smith
DeKeyser-Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

For some reason, I'm strangely ok with this lineup.

#246 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Weiss might be up next:

#RedWings are working on deal with C Stephen Weiss.

#247 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think both Weiss and Grabovski are better players.

Past two years:
Filppula: 122g, 32g, 51a
Weiss: 97g, 21g, 40a
Grabovski: 122g, 32g, 35a

How are weiss or Grabovski any better than Filppula?

At this point, anyone on the FA list is a downgrade from Flip. If we sign Weiss for anything around $4.5m, it would be insane.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#248 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Past two years:

At this point, anyone on the FA list is a downgrade from Flip. If we sign Weiss for anything around $4.5m, it would be insane.

The argument here is that Weiss has been on a much worse team and generally paired with lesser line mates than Filppula.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#249 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Past two years:

Grabovski and Weiss both either played with crappy linemates or under terrible coaches. Filppula played with linemates ranging from excellent to good and under arguably the best coach in the league. More, in his big production year he also had Lidstrom behind him.

#250 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Past two years:

.68 pts a game for both Flip & Weiss over that period & Weiss managed to do that while playing center.  The only reason Flip did is that we was switched to the wing.  Flip can't carry a line offensively as a center where Weiss can.

#251 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

We need Horton more than any of these 3.

#252 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

When Flip was center he was paired with much worse players than when Weiss was. Who did Flip center? Franzen? Bertuzzi? Cleary? Sammy? All players barely quantifiable as top six players. Weiss played with Versteeg and Fleischmann, with a ton more TOI too, who both had good years in 11-12 when he scored 57 points.

And Crymson, Cambell almost scored more points than Lidstrom and Kronwall combined in 11-12.

#253 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

When Flip was center he was paired with much worse players than when Weiss was. Who did Flip center? Franzen? Bertuzzi? Cleary? Sammy? All players barely quantifiable as top six players. Weiss played with Versteeg and Fleischmann, with a ton more TOI too, who both had good years in 11-12 when he scored 57 points.

And Crymson, Cambell almost scored more points than Lidstrom and Kronwall combined in 11-12.

The issue is that Filp couldn't hold down the second-line center position. Weiss can. He produces, wins face offs, and has done more with less than Filppula did in his time here.

Also, Campbell might have scored more points, but I believe the point Crymson was making stemmed from the defensive side of things. Campbell is a sieve compared to Lidstrom.

#254 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Weiss is a steady 20 goal, 50-60 point guy. And on a much worse team. You know, the guy we kept waiting for Filppula to become. Instant upgrade.

Did you forget all the time Flip spent with Zetterberg and Franzen? Flip should have been much more productive than he was.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#255 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

The issue is that Filp couldn't hold down the second-line center position. Weiss can. He produces, wins face offs, and has done more with less than Filppula did in his time here.

Also, Campbell might have scored more points, but I believe the point Crymson was making stemmed from the defensive side of things. Campbell is a sieve compared to Lidstrom.

Er, did you not read my post? Filppula didn't not work out as center because he can't center a line, but because his linemates when he was center were barely top 6ers at best.

And I'm pretty sure that when it comes to scoring, I think a defenseman who scored almost 60 points would be more beneficial than one who scored 30.

Did you forget all the time Flip spent with Zetterberg and Franzen? Flip should have been much more productive than he was.

He almost scored 70 points and was 13th in the league in even strength scoring. How much better are you supposed to get?

#256 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Er, did you not read my post? Filppula didn't not work out as center because he can't center a line, but because his linemates when he was center were barely top 6ers at best.

And I'm pretty sure that when it comes to scoring, I think a defenseman who scored almost 60 points would be more beneficial than one who scored 30.

He almost scored 70 points and was 13th in the league in even strength scoring. How much better are you supposed to get?

His ability to play the center position isn't directly related to his wingers. Plus, how is Franzen "barely top 6" material?

#257 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

He scored 66 points, not almost 70.  And if you're asking for the kind of money he allegedly is, you need to produce near that for more than one season. 

For most of his 8 year career, Flip has mostly been a 35-40 point guy.  

#258 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

His ability to play the center position isn't directly related to his wingers. Plus, how is Franzen "barely top 6" material?

It's not related at all, that's my point. Poor production when he is at center isn't because he can't play center, but because when he plays center, he had poor linemates.

And I call Franzen "barely top 6" because he is lazy, floats, can't make plays, doesn't cycle well and only scores goals when someone gives him the puck in a perfect scoring position.

#259 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's not related at all, that's my point. Poor production when he is at center isn't because he can't play center, but because when he plays center, he had poor linemates.

And I call Franzen "barely top 6" because he is lazy, floats, can't make plays, doesn't cycle well and only scores goals when someone gives him the puck in a perfect scoring position.

So Franzen, who has outproduced Flip virtually every year they've been on the team, is barely a top 6 guy?

Franzen is lazy at times but that's a gross exaggeration of his abilities otherwise.  He can and does absolutely make plays, cycle well, and score goals.

#260 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

And if you're asking for the kind of money he allegedly is, you need to produce near that for more than one season.

I agree. It's just people are acting like Weiss or Grabovski would be a big upgrade, when in reality its a lateral move at best.

And actually, over the past 5 seasons he has averaged .60 ppg. That's 50 points, not 35.