• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#41 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yep, that's the quote I was referring to. Thanks for finding it I couldn't remember where I read it

Cool. No prob.

I posted the same link in the "Brunner" thread. Maybe you saw it there.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#42 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Holland said he would explore trades and buyouts

"We like our team" :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

When I first read that Flip wanted 5.5 for 7 or 8 years, I chuckled out loud. The only team that would pay him that much is Florida or the Islanders or some other team that needs to reach the cap floor.

EDIT:  For those who didn't read it, Holland also said we're rolling with 14 forwards this year, which mean at least three have to go.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I really liked Flip and thought he would break out to be a 1st liner with great defense, however he just never was consistent. I don't think he is worth that money to us, because we have similar players, that are young enough to have that break out potential we never fully saw.  But I think he will get that, and probably make a team very happy with his all around game.  

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#45 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure in what world Flip deserves 5.5 million. I don't see him ever getting any better than he is now.

#46 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

When I first read that Flip wanted 5.5 for 7 or 8 years, I chuckled out loud. The only team that would pay him that much is Florida or the Islanders or some other team that needs to reach the cap floor.

EDIT:  For those who didn't read it, Holland also said we're rolling with 14 forwards this year, which mean at least three have to go.

I would say right now the Wings have 13 pretty much locked in, 14 if Sammy isn't bought out (which I think he will be):

Under contract: Dats, Hank, Mule, Bert, Abby, Helm, Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Tatar, Emmerton, Sammy

RFAs that will be signed: Nyquist, Andersson

I could see Kenny signing both Brunner & Cleary yet, seeing who plays their way into a spot in camp, & either trading/waiving those that don't, most likely a combination of Cleary, Emmerton, Tootoo, or Eaves.  It's a numbers game at this point & if those salary/length demands from Flip are accurate, there's just no way those numbers make sense for the Wings.  

Edited by ogreslayer, 20 June 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#47 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

People seem to forget Sammy can't be bought out because he is not healthy.  If they keep him on IR, that opens up a spot on the roster.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#48 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

People seem to forget Sammy can't be bought out because he is not healthy.  If they keep him on IR, that opens up a spot on the roster.

He was considered day-to-day at the end of the Chicago series.  Unless he does actually end up requiring surgery in the off season, I would doubt that he wouldn't be ready to go at the start of camp ergo eligible for compliance buy out.

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Samuelsson has not been on IR in quite some time.

#50 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

I would say right now the Wings have 13 pretty much locked in, 14 if Sammy isn't bought out (which I think he will be):

Under contract: Dats, Hank, Mule, Bert, Abby, Helm, Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Tatar, Emmerton, Sammy

RFAs that will be signed: Nyquist, Andersson

I could see Kenny signing both Brunner & Cleary yet, seeing who plays their way into a spot in camp, & either trading/waiving those that don't, most likely a combination of Cleary, Emmerton, Tootoo, or Eaves.  It's a numbers game at this point & if those salary/length demands from Flip are accurate, there's just no way those numbers make sense for the Wings.  

Brunner is on this team 100%, he faded a bit at the end of the reg season and had a decent playoffs, keep in mind it was his 1st year.  Right handed shot who can score..not going anywhere.  Holland has some tough decisons...Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar are NHL ready and need to be in the lineup next year.  Hopefully Helm is healthy too...we have some depth for sure which is nice.  Still need that top 6 guy though.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#51 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I know that this glut of forwards has been staring us all in the face for a while now.

But as the Wings' offseason moves along and guys re-sign, and Holland waxes in typically conservative fashion about "17 forwards this" and "Cleary that" ,  I'm left  wondering if there really is any chance of Detroit getting that top six winger everyone keeps talking about (which, to me, is starting to seem as elusive as Bigfoot).

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#52 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

If I were Filppula I would want to go to Vancouver. He could be a great second line center, moving Kesler to wing. That would be a great second line start.

Of course they would have to dump salary in order to get him. But I think it would be a great fit.

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

If I were Filppula I would want to go to Vancouver. He could be a great second line center, moving Kesler to wing. That would be a great second line start.

Of course they would have to dump salary in order to get him. But I think it would be a great fit.

Agreed, this would give them two very dangerous lines but if they choose Torts there is no way, a guy like Filps would sign there. Also they have to make some tough decisions this season, buyout Luongo and Biallard? If I were Acquilani I'd put Ballard on LTIR, buyout Luongo and go from there.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#54 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

He was considered day-to-day at the end of the Chicago series.  Unless he does actually end up requiring surgery in the off season, I would doubt that he wouldn't be ready to go at the start of camp ergo eligible for compliance buy out.

Samuelsson has not been on IR in quite some time.

Of course I can't find the article now, but I JUST read that he can't be bought out because of his injury status.  Maybe if they waited to do it until he was cleared for camp or something, but they couldn't do it at the start of FA, which they really don't have to since you can exceed the cap by so much until the season starts.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#55 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

5.5, 7-8 years, no thanks he had ONE season worth that. Where does he get off trying to bully the organization that picked him 95th overall and took the time and money to develop him into a top 6 player? He should be content with signing a 1-2 year deal with the wings for 3.5-4 million and prove himself then.

We would agree that $5.5 mil AAV is too much for Filppula, but in terms of Filppula's right to be a free agent or demand whatever he wants, I think you're off-base. 

You're saying Filppula owes it to the Wings to accept whatever low-ball offer we throw his way?  That a player in the prime of his career needs to "prove" himself by taking one-year deals until he either (a) Has an outlier season where he blows up and then gets overpaid; or (b) Gets his head run into the boards and sees a serious diminution in his value and future earning potential?

Um, no.  If I'm Filppula and another team offers me $10 million more (over the life of a multi-year deal) AND a higher profile role on the top lines and PP unit...and all I have to do is live somewhere else and wear a different color sweater?  Yeah, I would at least consider that.  Filppula is no longer the "property" of the Detroit Red Wings come July 5th - there was nothing stopping his from extending him previously if Holland wanted to lock him up on a multi-year deal.

#56 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just so I understand the logic. Filppula would be a "great" second line center if he were to play for Vancouver, but he can't do that in Detroit? I guess I don't understand how he can be "great" there, but not here.

#57 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Just so I understand the logic. Filppula would be a "great" second line center if he were to play for Vancouver, but he can't do that in Detroit? I guess I don't understand how he can be "great" there, but not here.

Because they have Kesler who is a real 40 goal forward on their second line. He would take all the pressure off of Flip.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I know that this glut of forwards has been staring us all in the face for a while now.

But as the Wings' offseason moves along and guys re-sign, and Holland waxes in typically conservative fashion about "17 forwards this" and "Cleary that" ,  I'm left  wondering if there really is any chance of Detroit getting that top six winger everyone keeps talking about (which, to me, is starting to seem as elusive as Bigfoot).

I read this, chuckled, and thought, "Yeah, but would he play center or left wing?"

Now I'm actually wondering about it.

#59 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Flip wasn't failing because he didn't have a 40 goal scorer, Flip failed because he's timid and is literally scared of shooting the puck. A change of scenery won't help him.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#60 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

So Flip failed in Detroit because there was too much pressure on him?