• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#61 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

So Flip failed in Detroit because there was too much pressure on him?

Possibly. Every year he heard how it was his year to step up and realize his full potential and how he hasn't hit his ceiling. I think Fil is a great forward and would love to keep him on this team but what he's reportedly asking for is insaaaaaane in every sense of the word.

Posted Image

#62 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

He was considered day-to-day at the end of the Chicago series.  Unless he does actually end up requiring surgery in the off season, I would doubt that he wouldn't be ready to go at the start of camp ergo eligible for compliance buy out.

No surgery needed for his sore booby. God i hope Kenny sends him packing

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#63 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

No surgery needed for his sore booby. God i hope Kenny sends him packing

That's cool that you say something like that when you have no idea what an NHL player goes through. You never saw what happened to him or felt whatever pain he felt. Never question an NHL player's toughness.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#64 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I wouldnt mind flip at 6 years, 24 million.

#65 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I wouldnt mind flip at 6 years, 24 million.

Hell no....wouldn't take him for half the money and 6 years...let him go....send Cleary with him

#66 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Rereading the comments from Kenny I think the Wings have already made their decision and both sides know it. Good luck Filps wherever you are going to end up. This is a very weak UFA class so I think he will get at least 5 per from a team desperate for offense (Predators, Blues, Jackets, Flames or Buffalo if they trade Vanek).

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#67 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

#68 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hell no....wouldn't take him for half the money and 6 years...let him go....send Cleary with him

The guy is one of the best players on the team. Very underrated, drafted and developed in house. If he won't take 3.5-4 million, then gonna have to let him go. Letting Hudler go was a HUGE mistake, and it will be a HUGE mistake to let Flipulla go too. The Red Wings waste so much cap space on people who don't even play, they can afford to overpay a player by a million here or there.

Edited by TheOwl, 21 June 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#69 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

The guy is one of the best players on the team. Very underrated, drafted and developed in house. If he won't take 3.5-4 million, then gonna have to let him go. Letting Hudler go was a HUGE mistake, and it will be a HUGE mistake to let Flipulla go too. The Red Wings waste so much cap space on people who don't even play, they can afford to overpay a player by a million here or there.

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here? You know, the guy who has only averaged more than .5ppg once in his career, who is prone to brutal fits of inconsistency, who lacks any sort of physicality, who is invisible when he isn't scoring, and who, in general, has simply not panned out as the player he was expected to be? On no planet does Filppula's play merit a salary of $5m. And he is by absolutely no means one of the best players on the team.

Protip: to be underrated, one needs to exceed expectations first. Filppula has not done so.

Edited by Crymson, 21 June 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#70 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

In a cap world, letting Hudler go was not a mistake, it was precisely the right thing to do.  And in a cap world, letting Filpulla go is also absolutely the right thing to do.  Flip is now an UFA, and UFAs are overpaid, because desperate GMs sign them to desperate contracts, driving up the price of UFAs everywhere.  Over-paying for role/depth players is the cardinal sin of the cap world.

I like Flip, I've always liked him, and I've always defended him.  He's been a good player for us, but now is the right time to let him go.  He's going to get $4-5M a year from some GM, and with our pipeline of good, young, CHEAP, prospects we can afford to let him go.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#71 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here? You know, the guy who has only averaged more than .5ppg once in his career, who is prone to brutal fits of inconsistency, who lacks any sort of physicality, who is invisible when he isn't scoring, and who, in general, has simply not panned out as the player he was expected to be? On no planet does Filppula's play merit a salary of $5m. And he is by absolutely no means one of the best players on the team.

We have to be watching different games. Apart from Pav or Z, who is better than Flip on forward? Cleary got points this playoffs a lot from pucks bouncing off him and Franzen is a lazy POS who only scores goals when other players get him a spectacular scoring chance. Fil has tons more skill than Cleary and tons more work ethic than Franzen. He is an incredible puck possession player, usually wins battles along the boards with his finesse and is excellent (maybe best on the team) at skating the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive zone. Not to mention always back checking and being great on defense. You can't say anything of these things about Cleary or Franzen.

If you rate players but outcome versus expectation (which is what you;re doing), yeah, he's not going to be near the top. But if you rate players on what they actually do, he's the best forward on the team not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

It's just like Hossa's playoff run with us. The way people talked about it you would think he had 3 points in 30 games, when in reality he was still one of our top scorers, he just didn't play as well as we thought he would. That doesn't mean he sucks.

And just for the record, I don't think we should give him over $4m long term at least until he can prove that he is the 70 points Filppula, not the 40 point Filppula. I'm just saying he's a better overall player than both Franzen and Cleary.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 21 June 2013 - 12:56 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#72 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

We have to be watching different games. Apart from Pav or Z, who is better than Flip on forward? Cleary got points this playoffs a lot from pucks bouncing off him and Franzen is a lazy POS who only scores goals when other players get him a spectacular scoring chance. Fil has tons more skill than Cleary and tons more work ethic than Franzen. He is an incredible puck possession player, usually wins battles along the boards with his finesse and is excellent (maybe best on the team) at skating the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive zone. Not to mention always back checking and being great on defense. You can't say anything of these things about Cleary or Franzen.

If you rate players but outcome versus expectation (which is what you;re doing), yeah, he's not going to be near the top. But if you rate players on what they actually do, he's the best forward on the team not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

It's just like Hossa's playoff run with us. The way people talked about it you would think he had 3 points in 30 games, when in reality he was still one of our top scorers, he just didn't play as well as we thought he would. That doesn't mean he sucks.

Filppula is not worth $5m, plain and simple. I don't think he's even worth $4m. You say Filppula contributes a lot; I disagree. I think he is far from an impact player, and he's invisible when he isn't producing. He fit best as a third-line center, and he wants to be paid like a first-line center.

#73 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Sorry, are we talking about Filppula here? 

According to Babs in the post-Chicacgo presser he is/was our 4th best player. But does he worth 5,5 Million for over 7 years ? Of course not. Only question is if this is just some kind of tactic to get as much money out of Holland as possible or if he's testing the market. I'd like to see him sign 4 to 4,5 for two years here but looking at our roster I doubt that it will happen.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#74 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Maybe he's just posturing in hopes of being talked down to 4 rather than being offered 3.5.

Or maybe he's letting other teams know that he's available.  In this year's market, he shouldn't have trouble finding a home for more money.  Too bad.  I like the guy.

Holland usually gets players to sign before the end of the season. If Detroit was going to retain Fil it would have been done by now.

Which leads to what we were all complaining about at the trade deadline. We lose Fil for absolutely nothing.

#75 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Holland usually gets players to sign before the end of the season. If Detroit was going to retain Fil it would have been done by now.

Which leads to what we were all complaining about at the trade deadline. We lose Fil for absolutely nothing.

Wouldn't necessarily say nothing yet.  Kenny can always flip his rights to another team for a draft pick.  

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#76 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Wouldn't necessarily say nothing yet.  Kenny can always flip his rights to another team for a draft pick.  

or for another players rights. Like Weiss for example (if they're that interested in him)

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#77 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Filpulla is asking for too much.

But unless Holland has plans to truly upgrade his top six (read: Horton, Clarkson) you have to think that Detroit with Filpulla is better than Detroit with Samuelson.

That's the only frustrating thing.

Sammy @ 3M

Tootoo @ 1.9M

Quincey @ 3.5M

These are all bad contracts $-wise. OK term-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think 4M for Filpulla is fair (but pushing it a little). I also think 3M for Brunner is perhaps fair.

It kills me to think that both of these guys could walk over a 0.5 - 1.5M  difference in asking vs offering when Kenny has overpaid for at least three players that the team doesn't really need (not that I have any huge issue with Tootoo, Sammy, or Quincey).

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#78 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

We would agree that $5.5 mil AAV is too much for Filppula, but in terms of Filppula's right to be a free agent or demand whatever he wants, I think you're off-base. 

You're saying Filppula owes it to the Wings to accept whatever low-ball offer we throw his way?  That a player in the prime of his career needs to "prove" himself by taking one-year deals until he either (a) Has an outlier season where he blows up and then gets overpaid; or (b) Gets his head run into the boards and sees a serious diminution in his value and future earning potential?

Um, no.  If I'm Filppula and another team offers me $10 million more (over the life of a multi-year deal) AND a higher profile role on the top lines and PP unit...and all I have to do is live somewhere else and wear a different color sweater?  Yeah, I would at least consider that.  Filppula is no longer the "property" of the Detroit Red Wings come July 5th - there was nothing stopping his from extending him previously if Holland wanted to lock him up on a multi-year deal.

yup. Take what I said, and make it seem like I said something completely different. I said filppula should be taken a 1-2 year deal, because no team worth their jerseys are going to sign flip for 5.5/year for 7 years after one of his worst career years. The only teams that will aren't teams that are playoff bound anyway. Filppula has every right to go to free agency, but he should decide whether he wants to be on a cup contender or be the next federov

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#79 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

That's cool that you say something like that when you have no idea what an NHL player goes through. You never saw what happened to him or felt whatever pain he felt. Never question an NHL player's toughness.

He had a sore pectoral muscle twice last season. And nowhere did i question his toughness did i? I've played hockey my whole life and have had a lot of nasty injuries so i understand full well. But that doesn't mean you need to fly or the handle on me like you're some higher power of hockey injuries. Now i know why there's so few regulars around here these days.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#80 krsmith17

krsmith17

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Filppula is without a doubt, one of our best forwards. I agree with what Z and D for C and rick zombo said 100%. I don't think he is worth 5mil per year, but to say he isn't worth 4mil is completely under valuing him, which is what many people here seem to do with our players. Some people only look at the stats sheet, and to say he is invisible on the ice when he is not scoring is beyong ridiculous. He is one of the hardest working guys on the team, and he makes things happen, plain and simple. Like was said above, he can gain the zone on the power-play, he can set up plays, although everyone would love to see him score more or use his body more that isn't his game. I want to keep him, whether we do or not, who knows.