• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

ZDC makes good points for Flip, and others make good points against him. I'm still conflicted on if I want him to be resigned or not for $4mil/per if he can't find the higher price he's asking for elsewhere. A part of me wants him to stay because I know the good that he brings, and a part of me wants him to move on elsewhere because I feel he can be replaced. I guess we'll see what happens.

Guest Crymson

Being strong on your skates does not = being a good skater. Bert is strong on his skates and rarely gets knocked down, does that mean he's a good skater despite having the speed and agility of an oil tanker?

Bertuzzi has speed and agility that is, at worst, average. He has speed more than sufficient to break away if given the opportunity.

As things stand, nobody on the team is an especially bad skater.

Guest The Axe

Being strong on your skates does not = being a good skater. Bert is strong on his skates and rarely gets knocked down, does that mean he's a good skater despite having the speed and agility of an oil tanker?

Exactly. Fedorov was good on his skates.

I'm of the opinion that if we want to improve and have a legit chance at the cup we need to change the roster. Does that mean Flip is the odd one out? Well the fact he asked 5+ million over 7/8 years it certainly makes it easy for the Redwings brass to cut him loose. He simply isn't worth that, but even if he asked for 3.5/4 million for 3 years would our team progress if we signed him back? I don't think so, I think we'd be back where we started.

I'm of the opinion that if we want to improve and have a legit chance at the cup we need to change the roster. Does that mean Flip is the odd one out? Well the fact he asked 5+ million over 7/8 years it certainly makes it easy for the Redwings brass to cut him loose. He simply isn't worth that, but even if he asked for 3.5/4 million for 3 years would our team progress if we signed him back? I don't think so, I think we'd be back where we started.

Guest DeGraa55

Exactly. Too many people expect better results with the same roster.

Yeah, he's one of the best skaters in the league, let alone on our own team.

How many points does 66 points count for when it's Filppula who scored them? Does Filppula's 23 goals have less game winning ability than Zetterberg's 22 goals that season or Datsyuk's 19? Filppula scored more goals than both of our two best forwards, but no one is saying that Pav and Z aren't good enough goal scorers. I'll hold my breathe for the answers to these questions.

Flip is a good player but just because he scored more goals ONCE doesnt mean they should shell out that kind of money. At this point i think its safe to say he isnt going to get any better, hes probably a 50 point guy at best. the difference is z and dats are consistent flip had alot of good years and 1 great year. dats just signed a deal for 7.5 avg is flip worth 5.5 mil with what we've seen for the entirety of his career so far

Just checking in....is he gone yet? Tell me he's at least got his crap packed. This is a near perfect storm; clear roster space for Tatar and with a few buyouts, Clarkson or Horton can at least make contact with opponents or put the puck in the net. Enjoy rotting away in Long Island Flip.

Yeah, he's one of the best skaters in the league, let alone on our own team.

How many points does 66 points count for when it's Filppula who scored them? Does Filppula's 23 goals have less game winning ability than Zetterberg's 22 goals that season or Datsyuk's 19? Filppula scored more goals than both of our two best forwards, but no one is saying that Pav and Z aren't good enough goal scorers. I'll hold my breathe for the answers to these questions.

First off, he's not even top 3 on the team as best skaters, Helm, Nyquist and Datsyuk have him beat. Second one year where he gets 23 goals and had 66 points once doesn't mean that he will ever do it again. Jonathan Cheechoo had a 56 goal season. Look at where he's at now.

So you're just refusing to address any of the arguments I make, and then just rehash what everyone already thinks anyway?

I don't want to pay him even $5m right now either because we can't know what player is going to show up. But if he is scoring 60-70 points, yeah, he's worth $5m. You can't tell me he's not. Filppula was 12th in even strength scoring in 11-12 (ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) despite playing far less at even strength than anyone who scored as much as him at even strength and is one of the better defensive forwards in the league. If you told a GMs a player was going to have those kind of stats next year, he'd get 6 or 7 million. This is why I'd like to see him get a 2 year contract for around what me makes now to see if he can play at that level. If not, sign him for cheap or let him walk.

I'll paypal you $20 right now if you can find a video of one time he was on a breakaway and passed the puck.

And 66 points is a lot of points for someone who literally kills offense.

So should our team only be Datsyuk and Zetterberg because everyone else is just a worse version of them (a hockey player)?

I'd pay $5mil for someone who gets 66 points with consiatency. Ive always liked Flip but to ahit the bed so horrendously in a contract year with big money demands is just crazy. Get 66 points consistently and we cqn talk a penny over $4mil

Just checking in....is he gone yet? Tell me he's at least got his crap packed. This is a near perfect storm; clear roster space for Tatar and with a few buyouts, Clarkson or Horton can at least make contact with opponents or put the puck in the net. Enjoy rotting away in Long Island Flip.

If you want him to rot, he's gotta go to Calgary.

Hell, see if Feaster will give you a first for Flip's rights and Sammy. He's done dumber things.

Two birds, one stone. Roster space for two forwards.

Edited by e_prime

It is amazing how much player salaries have gone up in the last decade, especially considering production from players has gone down while there salary expections have gone up.

A decade ago 5.5 would have gotten you a 40 goal scorer, now it gets you a role player? I remember John Leclair had three stright 50 goal seasons from 96 to 98 and he got around 1.5 mill a year, then he was rewarded with a 9 mill a year contract from 02 to 04 and never scored more than 25 goals a season.

I wouldn't give Flip more than 2.5 a year, but that is me.

Edited by cupcrazy

If you want him to rot, he's gotta go to Calgary.

Hell, see if Feaster will give you a first for Flip's rights and Sammy. He's done dumber things.

Two birds, one stone. Roster space for two forwards.

Sammy has a NTC. Only way he's outta here is waivers or buy out.

Sammy has a NTC. Only way he's outta here is waivers or buy out.

It was tongue in cheek on my part...

...but I could see Flip ending up in Calgary... and I like making fun of Feaster and his follies.

Guest Playmaker

The "salary demands" are a rumor from the same site that said Datsyuk was leaving. I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape about it. I don't see Filppula returning, but all the anger over his "demands" is a bit over the top. To my knowledge, none of the Red Wings beat writers have reported it.

The "salary demands" are a rumor from the same site that said Datsyuk was leaving. I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape about it. I don't see Filppula returning, but all the anger over his "demands" is a bit over the top. To my knowledge, none of the Red Wings beat writers have reported it.

The only two beat writers that are commonly quoted tend to keep away from this news. Khan because hes extra careful, and St James because shes just a terrible terrible writer.

Guest Crymson

No, they aren't. It is true that the rumors of Datsyuk departing for the KHL came from a writer at Kukla's Korner. The quoted salary demands, however, do not come from any of the KK contributors; they were posted secondhand from Darren Dreger, who is generally a reliable source.

That said, Dreger only added the term that Filppula was looking for. Filppula's desired AAV salary was announced months ago by various sources.

If Flip goes to free agency and gets signed by another team I am going to be shaking my head at Holland for not trading his rights. At least get a 7th rounder. We have seen what we can do with late picks. The fact that at this time his rights haven't been traded leads me to believe Holland is still negotiating with Flip.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

If Flip goes to free agency and gets signed by another team I am going to be shaking my head at Holland for not trading his rights. At least get a 7th rounder. We have seen what we can do with late picks. The fact that at this time his rights haven't been traded leads me to believe Holland is still negotiating with Flip.

Yep.

Holland likely s*** the bed. Flip was having a poor regular season, and from what I remember, there were indications he'd be asking for a bigger contract. Teams were overpaying at the deadline, and we should have been all over that.

I know the Wings were trying to make the playoffs themselves, but in the long term, Filppula should have been shipped.

Yep.

Holland likely s*** the bed. Flip was having a poor regular season, and from what I remember, there were indications he'd be asking for a bigger contract. Teams were overpaying at the deadline, and we should have been all over that.

I know the Wings were trying to make the playoffs themselves, but in the long term, Filppula should have been shipped.

Keeping Filppula got us within 1 goal of having a serious chance at winning the cup. Hindsight is 20/20, but there is no way to say that Filppula should have been traded unless it was for a star.