• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

I disagree that trading him at the deadline would have been a good thing. Flip could have broken out last season. Heaven knows we've been saying that for long enough. There's also no guarantee that a star would have performed up to our expectations.

He's just a little too good to trade for someone questionable, but a little too questionable to get us someone good.

That said, Flip just might like Calgary. He'd be back with his little buddy-

Valandhudsonly.jpg

I fully expect his rights to be traded at the draft or him to be re-signed for a much more reasonable number.

He and his agent know the over-crowding situation in Detroit, and unless they figure that others will be gone before Flip, they have to know that their choices are to come down or go to free agency.

Keeping Filppula got us within 1 goal of having a serious chance at winning the cup. Hindsight is 20/20, but there is no way to say that Filppula should have been traded unless it was for a star.

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.

Except he also scored the series winner against the Ducks and was a huge part of Nyquists OT winner in game 2 of that same series.

You don't "almost" beat the Hawks unless you get by the Ducks first.

Anyway, I hope Filpulla walks. It forces Holland to upgrade his top six with (hopefully) more of a shoot-first player. Also, although I didn't mind Valterri as a Red Wing, I think some of these kids coming up (Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Jurco, etc) will replace Filpulla's offense and the team already has a great group of 2-way forwards.

Guest Crymson

I'm of the opinion that Filppula had a terrible season and a poor postseason, but he did score the GWG against the Ducks. I agree that holding onto him was the right call.

Like rick zombo said, I was referring to his huge plays in the Ducks series. I recognize that he was very underwhelming in the Chicago series (like many of our players) and throughout the whole year. Which is why I, like everyone, don't think he should get a large payday from the Wings unless he proves himself with a short term contract with an extremely modest raise.

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.Like rick zombo said, I was referring to his huge plays in the Ducks series. I recognize that he was very underwhelming in the Chicago series (like many of our players) and throughout the whole year. Which is why I, like everyone, don't think he should get a large payday from the Wings unless he proves himself with a short term contract with an extremely modest raise.

Less than one week to get something for him. I don't care if its 2 rounder (trade), or just a 3 or 4 rounder but at least get a draft pick for his rights. Streit got the Islanders a 4 so Filps should be in the same ballpark here.

Letting him walk for nothing would be stupid. Ask the Predators, Blues, Kings ...teams, that need offense and might not shy away from giving him a chance.

per Ansar Khan

Filppula's rights might be dealt

The Red Wings will attempt to trade Filppula's negotiating rights for a conditional draft pick this weekend if the sides remain far apart on a contract. They continue to talk, but it does not appear as if a deal will get done because Filppula has been seeking a long-term contract worth more than $5 million a season, more than the club is willing to give.

If Filppula isn't re-signed, the Red Wings would prefer to acquire a center to replace him. Stephen Weiss of Florida is a potential free-agent option.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_look_to_alleviate_fo.html#incart_river

Guest The Axe

Why do we have to acquire anyone?

Bye to Flips, Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson.

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader

Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist

Tatar-Miller-Eaves

Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

And 10+ million in the bank for a deadline pick up.

Weiss? Come on. He blows.

Guest Crymson

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader

Tatar-Miller-Eaves

Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

So we'll finally be able to get that $40m/yr player we've all been waiting for?

Edited by Crymson

Exactly. Too many people expect better results with the same roster.

When you have a ton of young players, you can pretty much expect to improve every year.

Whether filppula stays or goes, I don't think Holland needs to do much this offseason besides trimming the fat a bit

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader

Tatar-Miller-Eaves

Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

I pretty much agree with this unless a player that fits our needs gets bought out. If that happens, we'll all be thankful for the $10 mill of cap space that wasn't spent on an overrated player like Clarkson Edited by wingsfan4795

I'm of the opinion that Filppula had a terrible season and a poor postseason, but he did score the GWG against the Ducks. I agree that holding onto him was the right call.

in the end we didnt win the cup ... trading filppula for a 1st would of been the right call ... and before you say it yes im sure a top contending team would of traded a 1st for filppula who even though he struggled has cup winning experience and is a great 2 way player

that being said its been reported months ago he was seeking 5mill+ per year and we all been saying hes not coming back at that price , at that time holland should of done what was best for the team longterm and gotten us a 2nd 1st round pick

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Guest Johnz96

$5.5M per for 7+ years? Enjoy the KHL, Val.

I think that's just a number to start bargaining negotiations. I have always liked Filppula and thought he was much better than most people thought but just wasn't afforded the opportunity because we have similar players who have already established themselves and are better. Well he finally got that opportunity in 2011-12 and [and proved me right]. This year I think he was still not 100% from the injury suffered in Finland. He always used to be strong on the puck but this year seemed easy to knock down or off of the puck. But to come in with those numbers shows where his priority is and it's not winning. If those numbers are accurate the only way I would even consider him is if he were to apologize and fire his agent. Maybe he wants to get out of the shadows of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

He won't have to go to the KHL, he will get close to that from someone. Hopefully we can get something for his rights.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Crymson

in the end we didnt win the cup ... trading filppula for a 1st would of been the right call ... and before you say it yes im sure a top contending team would of traded a 1st for filppula who even though he struggled has cup winning experience and is a great 2 way player

that being said its been reported months ago he was seeking 5mill+ per year and we all been saying hes not coming back at that price , at that time holland should of done what was best for the team longterm and gotten us a 2nd 1st round pick

So your argument is that because the team didn't win the Cup, Holland was stupid for not trading him. That doesn't have much basis, given that Holland cannot see the future. More, this team came only one goal away from the conference finals. The fact that the team performed so well in the playoffs vindicated his decision to keep Filppula, especially given that the latter set up one winning goal against Anaheim and scored another himself.

Anyway, to the crux of your argument: there is not the faintest chance that Filppula, who was having a terrible season, would have drawn a 1st-round pick. He'd have garnered a 2nd, at best. For reference, Filppula finished the season ranked 198th in scoring amongst forwards.

Edited by Crymson

Ok GM wanna bees, it's that time of the year. No, we are not going to get a top six FA forward that is big and tough because there are none available. Cleary will be re-signed. Flip will go. Bert will stay, Cola will be bought out. Sammy will not be bought out because he will claim to be injured. We will trade for a mediocre player and that will be it.

I'm not saying this as a Holland critic, I am saying that that is realitically what will happen. There are no superstars available and the really good trades are to expensive.

Remeber the trade deadline - Iginla, Jagr, Morrow. None of them worked out. Jagr got to the finals but didn't score a single goal in the playoffs. And don't forget Nash last year.

Holland is alot smarter than most fans.

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader

Tatar-Miller-Eaves

Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

Because the roster you just proposed stinks? That forward group is atrocious, even if you include the missing Franzen.

Ok GM wanna bees, it's that time of the year. No, we are not going to get a top six FA forward that is big and tough because there are none available. Cleary will be re-signed. Flip will go. Bert will stay, Cola will be bought out. Sammy will not be bought out because he will claim to be injured. We will trade for a mediocre player and that will be it.

I'm not saying this as a Holland critic, I am saying that that is realitically what will happen. There are no superstars available and the really good trades are to expensive.

Remeber the trade deadline - Iginla, Jagr, Morrow. None of them worked out. Jagr got to the finals but didn't score a single goal in the playoffs. And don't forget Nash last year.

Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Bickell are available to name a few. I don't know that tough qualifies for all of them, but they would provide size and skill.

So your argument is that because the team didn't win the Cup, Holland was stupid for not trading him. That doesn't have much basis, given that Holland cannot see the future. More, this team came only one goal away from the conference finals. The fact that the team performed so well in the playoffs vindicated his decision to keep Filppula, especially given that the latter set up one winning goal against Anaheim and scored another himself.

Anyway, to the crux of your argument: there is not the faintest chance that Filppula, who was having a terrible season, would have drawn a 1st-round pick. He'd have garnered a 2nd, at best. For reference, Filppula finished the season ranked 198th in scoring amongst forwards.

yes . holland himself said there was a good chance we werent gonna get in the playoffs , realistically deep down we all knew detroit wasnt gonna win it all this year AND we knew his salary demands there was no way we should not of traded him

well again were gonna have to disagree at the least we could of had that jagr type deal dallas got from boston , yes jagr is a hall of famer but hes 41-42 where as filppula is 28-29 and is a great 2 way player who knows what it takes to win

again were just gonna have to agree to disagree on what filppula could of fetched us at the deadline

sorry with the quote thing i really dont know why its like this most of replys now

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Keeping Filppula got us within 1 goal of having a serious chance at winning the cup. Hindsight is 20/20, but there is no way to say that Filppula should have been traded unless it was for a star.

If Flip would shoot the puck 1/10 of the times he should have, we may have beat the Hawks in 5 or 6. There's 2 sides to every story. A happy ending would have been for Flip to be traded to Boston along with Cleary and the Wings maybe get bounced in the 2nd round anyways, but we'd have a little more to work with at the draft table or a good young prospect. I was on the side at the deadline that wanted to trade Flip for picks.

Guest The Axe

Because the roster you just proposed stinks? That forward group is atrocious, even if you include the missing Franzen.

Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Bickell are available to name a few. I don't know that tough qualifies for all of them, but they would provide size and skill.

Dude, I forgot Franzen!!! Oops.

Guest Crymson

yes . holland himself said there was a good chance we werent gonna get in the playoffs , realistically deep down we all knew detroit wasnt gonna win it all this year AND we knew his salary demands there was no way we should not of traded him

Holland said that he was unsure if the Wings would make the playoffs. He did not say that there was a good chance they would not. In the event, they did, and Filppula's contributions, though bare, were important. The mere fact that the Wings made the playoffs and almost made the conference finals pretty much vindicates Holland's choice to hang on to his 2nd-line left wing.

On a grammatical note, it's should have.

well again were gonna have to disagree at the least we could of had that jagr type deal dallas got from boston , yes jagr is a hall of famer but hes 41-42 where as filppula is 28-29 and is a great 2 way player who knows what it takes to win

Jagr had 24 points in 36 games when the trade deadline rolled around. He is a big body, a future Hall-of-Famer, and a proven winner. Filppula was in the midst of one of the worst seasons of his career. More, he is none of the above, nor is he a "great" two-way player; he is, rather, merely a fairly good one.

In other words, there's no comparison. Jagr came along with production, physical assets, and intangibles, none of which Filppula brought to the table. Filppula may have fetched a 3rd-round draft pick.

Edited by Crymson

Bickel (please stay away from that plug), Clarkson (hell yes please), Clowe (warrior), Horton (great size), Brian McGrattan (just what the doctor ordered),