• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#121 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

The "salary demands" are a rumor from the same site that said Datsyuk was leaving.  I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape about it.  I don't see Filppula returning, but all the anger over his "demands" is a bit over the top.  To my knowledge, none of the Red Wings beat writers have reported it.

The only two beat writers that are commonly quoted tend to keep away from this news. Khan because hes extra careful, and St James because shes just a terrible terrible writer.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#122 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

The "salary demands" are a rumor from the same site that said Datsyuk was leaving.  I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape about it.  I don't see Filppula returning, but all the anger over his "demands" is a bit over the top.  To my knowledge, none of the Red Wings beat writers have reported it.

No, they aren't. It is true that the rumors of Datsyuk departing for the KHL came from a writer at Kukla's Korner. The quoted salary demands, however, do not come from any of the KK contributors; they were posted secondhand from Darren Dreger, who is generally a reliable source.

That said, Dreger only added the term that Filppula was looking for. Filppula's desired AAV salary was announced months ago by various sources.

#123 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

If Flip goes to free agency and gets signed by another team I am going to be shaking my head at Holland for not trading his rights. At least get a 7th rounder. We have seen what we can do with late picks. The fact that at this time his rights haven't been traded leads me to believe Holland is still negotiating with Flip.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 23 June 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#124 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

If Flip goes to free agency and gets signed by another team I am going to be shaking my head at Holland for not trading his rights. At least get a 7th rounder. We have seen what we can do with late picks. The fact that at this time his rights haven't been traded leads me to believe Holland is still negotiating with Flip.

Yep.

Holland likely s*** the bed.  Flip was having a poor regular season, and from what I remember, there were indications he'd be asking for a bigger contract.  Teams were overpaying at the deadline, and we should have been all over that.  

I know the Wings were trying to make the playoffs themselves, but in the long term, Filppula should have been shipped.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#125 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yep.

Holland likely s*** the bed.  Flip was having a poor regular season, and from what I remember, there were indications he'd be asking for a bigger contract.  Teams were overpaying at the deadline, and we should have been all over that.  

I know the Wings were trying to make the playoffs themselves, but in the long term, Filppula should have been shipped.

Keeping Filppula got us within 1 goal of having a serious chance at winning the cup. Hindsight is 20/20, but there is no way to say that Filppula should have been traded unless it was for a star.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#126 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I disagree that trading him at the deadline would have been a good thing.  Flip could have broken out last season.  Heaven knows we've been saying that for long enough.  There's also no guarantee that a star would have performed up to our expectations. 

He's just a little too good to trade for someone questionable, but a little too questionable to get us someone good.

That said, Flip just might like Calgary.  He'd be back with his little buddy-

Valandhudsonly.jpg

I fully expect his rights to be traded at the draft or him to be re-signed for a much more reasonable number.

He and his agent know the over-crowding situation in Detroit, and unless they figure that others will be gone before Flip, they have to know that their choices are to come down or go to free agency.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#127 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Keeping Filppula got us within 1 goal of having a serious chance at winning the cup. Hindsight is 20/20, but there is no way to say that Filppula should have been traded unless it was for a star.

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#128 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.

Except he also scored the series winner against the Ducks and was a huge part of Nyquists OT winner in game 2 of that same series.

You don't "almost" beat the Hawks unless you get by the Ducks first.

Anyway, I hope Filpulla walks. It forces Holland to upgrade his top six with (hopefully) more of a shoot-first player. Also, although I didn't mind Valterri as a Red Wing, I think some of these kids coming up (Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Jurco, etc) will replace Filpulla's offense and the team already has a great group of 2-way forwards.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#129 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm of the opinion that Filppula had a terrible season and a poor postseason, but he did score the GWG against the Ducks. I agree that holding onto him was the right call.

#130 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Like rick zombo said, I was referring to his huge plays in the Ducks series. I recognize that he was very underwhelming in the Chicago series (like many of our players) and throughout the whole year. Which is why I, like everyone, don't think he should get a large payday from the Wings unless he proves himself with a short term contract with an extremely modest raise.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#131 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, his one goal in the Chicago series when they were already up 3-1 in that game in the 3rd really was a difference maker. You can be almost as bad as Eva was.Like rick zombo said, I was referring to his huge plays in the Ducks series. I recognize that he was very underwhelming in the Chicago series (like many of our players) and throughout the whole year. Which is why I, like everyone, don't think he should get a large payday from the Wings unless he proves himself with a short term contract with an extremely modest raise.

Less than one week to get something for him. I don't care if its 2 rounder (trade), or just a 3 or 4 rounder but at least get a draft pick for his rights. Streit got the Islanders a 4 so Filps should be in the same ballpark here.

Letting him walk for nothing would be stupid. Ask the Predators, Blues, Kings ...teams, that need offense and might not shy away from giving him a chance.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#132 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

per Ansar Khan

Filppula's rights might be dealt

The Red Wings will attempt to trade Filppula's negotiating rights for a conditional draft pick this weekend if the sides remain far apart on a contract. They continue to talk, but it does not appear as if a deal will get done because Filppula has been seeking a long-term contract worth more than $5 million a season, more than the club is willing to give.

If Filppula isn't re-signed, the Red Wings would prefer to acquire a center to replace him. Stephen Weiss of Florida is a potential free-agent option.

http://www.mlive.com...ml#incart_river

#133 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Um, like, BYE!

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#134 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Why do we have to acquire anyone?

Bye to Flips, Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson.

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader
Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist
Tatar-Miller-Eaves
Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

And 10+ million in the bank for a deadline pick up.

Weiss? Come on. He blows.

#135 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader
Tatar-Miller-Eaves
Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

So we'll finally be able to get that $40m/yr player we've all been waiting for?

Edited by Crymson, 25 June 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#136 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Exactly. Too many people expect better results with the same roster.

When you have a ton of young players, you can pretty much expect to improve every year.
Whether filppula stays or goes, I don't think Holland needs to do much this offseason besides trimming the fat a bit

That leaves:

Z-Dats-Abdelkader
Tatar-Miller-Eaves
Tootoo-Emdog-Sheahan

I pretty much agree with this unless a player that fits our needs gets bought out. If that happens, we'll all be thankful for the $10 mill of cap space that wasn't spent on an overrated player like Clarkson

Edited by wingsfan4795, 25 June 2013 - 04:01 AM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#137 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

$5.5M per for 7+ years?  Enjoy the KHL, Val.

#138 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm of the opinion that Filppula had a terrible season and a poor postseason, but he did score the GWG against the Ducks. I agree that holding onto him was the right call.

in the end we  didnt win the cup  ... trading filppula  for a 1st would of been the right call ... and before you say it yes im sure a top contending team would of traded a 1st for filppula who even though he struggled has cup winning experience and is a great 2 way player

that being said its been reported months ago he was seeking 5mill+ per year and we all been saying hes not coming back at that price , at that time holland should of done what was best for the team longterm and gotten us a 2nd 1st round pick

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 25 June 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#139 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

$5.5M per for 7+ years?  Enjoy the KHL, Val.

I think that's just a number to start bargaining negotiations. I have always liked Filppula and thought he was much better than most people thought but just wasn't afforded the opportunity because we have similar players who have already established themselves and are better. Well he finally got that opportunity in 2011-12 and [and proved me right]. This year I think he was still not 100% from the injury suffered in Finland. He always used to be strong on the puck but this year seemed easy to knock down or off of the puck. But to come in with those numbers shows where his priority is and it's not winning. If those numbers are accurate the only way I would even consider him is if he were to apologize and fire his agent. Maybe he wants to get out of the shadows of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
He won't have to go to the KHL, he will get close to that from someone. Hopefully we can get something for his rights.

Edited by Johnz96, 25 June 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#140 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

in the end we  didnt win the cup  ... trading filppula  for a 1st would of been the right call ... and before you say it yes im sure a top contending team would of traded a 1st for filppula who even though he struggled has cup winning experience and is a great 2 way player

that being said its been reported months ago he was seeking 5mill+ per year and we all been saying hes not coming back at that price , at that time holland should of done what was best for the team longterm and gotten us a 2nd 1st round pick

So your argument is that because the team didn't win the Cup, Holland was stupid for not trading him. That doesn't have much basis, given that Holland cannot see the future. More, this team came only one goal away from the conference finals. The fact that the team performed so well in the playoffs vindicated his decision to keep Filppula, especially given that the latter set up one winning goal against Anaheim and scored another himself. 

Anyway, to the crux of your argument: there is not the faintest chance that Filppula, who was having a terrible season, would have drawn a 1st-round pick. He'd have garnered a 2nd, at best. For reference, Filppula finished the season ranked 198th in scoring amongst forwards.

Edited by Crymson, 25 June 2013 - 05:35 PM.