• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#161 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

One segment refers to his value at the trade deadline, and the other to how well he actually performed in the playoffs. It's pretty basic.

So after the deadline he was no longer a big body and proven winner?  And he had his explosiveness before the deadline but lost all of it in the playoffs?

He didn't become a completely different player at the deadline.  He was on an offensively mediocre Boston team that was awful on the PP. And unlike Dallas in Boston they made him backcheck.  His ability to dig out the puck and hang on to it led to key goals and great chances for Boston. Having no goals was a little surprising but his overall production really wasn't. 

Your first posts overvalue Jagr to justify Holland not dealing Flip.  And the latter ones undervalue him to justify not signing him.  It's pretty basic. 

#162 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Via Elliotte Friedman.

Goodbye Valteri Filppagreedy

#163 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Goodbye Valteri Filppagreedy

If you're an impending UFA and look around at the type of money paid to other guys that you know you're better than, I don't know how you can consider it greed.  Players around Flip's age have to lock down that one big deal to make the bulk of the money they'll make in their lifetime.  Logic and reason tell you that with the cap going down, players like Filppula can't be paid $5.5 mil per year, but experience tells you that somebody will pay that, or close to it.  Crap, teams like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. need to hand out a bad contract or two just to stay over the salary floor!

Have you ever left a job voluntarily that you weren't fired from?  I suspect most people have (or have considered it), and some people consider doing it on almost an annual basis.  Did you feel like a greedy traitor knowing that somebody else had to take over your work and clean your mess up so you could go earn a little more money somewhere else?

Edited by StormJH1, 28 June 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#164 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Let flip go. Bring in the youth.

#165 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

If you're an impending UFA and look around at the type of money paid to other guys that you know you're better than, I don't know how you can consider it greed.  Players around Flip's age have to lock down that one big deal to make the bulk of the money they'll make in their lifetime.  Logic and reason tell you that with the cap going down, players like Filppula can't be paid $5.5 mil per year, but experience tells you that somebody will pay that, or close to it.  Crap, teams like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. need to hand out a bad contract or two just to stay over the salary floor!

Have you ever left a job voluntarily that you weren't fired from?  I suspect most people have (or have considered it), and some people consider doing it on almost an annual basis.  Did you feel like a greedy traitor knowing that somebody else had to take over your work and clean your mess up so you could go earn a little more money somewhere else?

+1

And, while he has done well and is a valuable part of the team here, he has not flourished.  It is not like Federov's situation; he will go on to enjoy success and hopefully get a good payday.  He may blossom a bit with a change of scenery.  

I appreciate all that you have done here and really enjoyed watching you play, but the time has come.

#166 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

no other  players making 5.5 are worse than fil

#167 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

Let flip go. Bring in the youth.

Remember when Flip was the youth?  Remember when he put put up 70 points in GR and everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough?  Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless

Remember when Hudler was the youth?  Remember when he put up 96 points in GR?  Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough?  Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless and lazy.

Remember when Kopecky was the youth?  Remember when he put up 72 points in GR?  Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? (well, OK, its was just Eva ;) )  Now he's just useless.

Remember when Kronwall was the youth?  Remember when he put up 53 points in GR?  Remember when he was Nick Jr?  Now he's useless and can't defend, and a turnover machine and not a #1 defenceman.

Remember when Smith was the youth?  Remember how 12 months ago he was LOCK for the Calder on here?  Now he's the most useless defenceman in history, a Frankenstein combination of all the worst parts of Anders Ericsson, Max Kuznetzov, Matthieu Dandenault and Brett Lebda.

Are you spotting the pattern here?  When they're in the minors all our prospects are the next coming of Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom on here.  Then they get here, and they turn into what the scouts projected (3rd line checker, 2nd line 2-way winger) and not what the LGWers predicted (Pavel Zetterberg), and LGW treats them like they're something they scraped off their shoe.

So good luck Nyquist.  Good luck Tatar.  Good luck Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco.  You'd better turn into HOFers, otherwise you'll just plain SUCK!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#168 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Remember when Flip was the youth?  Remember when he put put up 70 points in GR and everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough?  Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless

Remember when Hudler was the youth?  Remember when he put up 96 points in GR?  Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough?  Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless and lazy.

Remember when Kopecky was the youth?  Remember when he put up 72 points in GR?  Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? (well, OK, its was just Eva ;) )  Now he's just useless.

Remember when Kronwall was the youth?  Remember when he put up 53 points in GR?  Remember when he was Nick Jr?  Now he's useless and can't defend, and a turnover machine and not a #1 defenceman.

Remember when Smith was the youth?  Remember how 12 months ago he was LOCK for the Calder on here?  Now he's the most useless defenceman in history, a Frankenstein combination of all the worst parts of Anders Ericsson, Max Kuznetzov, Matthieu Dandenault and Brett Lebda.

Are you spotting the pattern here?  When they're in the minors all our prospects are the next coming of Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom on here.  Then they get here, and they turn into what the scouts projected (3rd line checker, 2nd line 2-way winger) and not what the LGWers predicted (Pavel Zetterberg), and LGW treats them like they're something they scraped off their shoe.

So good luck Nyquist.  Good luck Tatar.  Good luck Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco.  You'd better turn into HOFers, otherwise you'll just plain SUCK!

If they stay good 3rd liners or decent 2nd liners that's fine, as long as they don't demand inordinate amounts of money like flip

#169 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Flip, I love  ya, but dream on...

Posted Image

#170 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

no other  players making 5.5 are worse than fil

What??

If they stay good 3rd liners or decent 2nd liners that's fine, as long as they don't demand inordinate amounts of money like flip

So paying legit second line centers 5.5 million a year is an inordinate amount of money? If the salary cap didn't drop this year I can pretty much guarantee Fil would have been resigned here for that.

#171 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

What??

So paying legit second line centers 5.5 million a year is an inordinate amount of money? If the salary cap didn't drop this year I can pretty much guarantee Fil would have been resigned here for that.

When has Filppula ever proven so far to be a legitimate second line center?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#172 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

What??

I don't see how the statement 'if the situation was different, then there would be a different result' is even worth saying.  The salary cap did drop.... so, $5.5 million is an inordinate amount of money for Flip and he won't be resigned here if that is a hard number for him.

#173 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Probably when he was 13th in even strength scoring (ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) in the league despite being 30 something in even strength time on ice. I think that advances the argument a little.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 29 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#174 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Probably when he was 13th in even strength scoring (ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) in the league despite being 30 something in even strength time on ice. I think that advances the argument a little.

That was playing wing on Z's line, no? There's a difference between that and carrying your own line offensively at center.

#175 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

When he was ranking ~40th in points among centers?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#176 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

That was playing wing on Z's line, no? There's a difference between that and carrying your own line offensively at center.

If you gave him competent wingers (read: not Franzen or Cleary), he would produce.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 29 June 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#177 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I may be remembering it wrong, but I believe Flip was playing the wing with Z playing Center.

Flip is a good secondary part on a line, but he's had many chances to carry a line and he doesn't seem capable of doing it.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong wherever he lands but I'd rather pay Lecavlier that money than I would Flip. (hopefully for a lot less years though, we don't need another 7 year contract on the books)

Excellent post, I think this everytime I hear people talking like Mrazek should be our starting goalie.

#178 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

If you gave him competent wingers (read: not Franzen or Cleary), he would produce.

Maybe, but that's rather speculative. Filppula is 29 and has one solid season of production in a larger role. That came on the wing playing with Henrik Zetterberg. I think we can all agree that paying Filppula (again) for "potential" isn't ideal, especially at 5.5 per season.

This is a track record contract and unfortunately Filppula doesn't really have much to show for his demands.

#179 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well a few days left to trade his rights, let's get something out of nothing for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#180 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Maybe, but that's rather speculative. Filppula is 29 and has one solid season of production in a larger role. That came on the wing playing with Henrik Zetterberg. I think we can all agree that paying Filppula (again) for "potential" isn't ideal, especially at 5.5 per season.

This is a track record contract and unfortunately Filppula doesn't really have much to show for his demands.

I agree with all of this. I also agree with FlashyG about having Lecavalier for a second line center instead of Filppula (I'd like both, if we have the space). I just think people are giving Filppula way to little credit.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 29 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.