• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

I was hoping for a smaller venue. The most intimidating and loudest arenas are always smaller. Plus, as someone already stated, it will look fuller. 

Hopefully they will reset season ticket holders so more people will get a chance. Or do a raffle so real fans and not corporations will buy the lower bowl tickets. I'm pretty sure that current season ticket holders think what I just said isn't fair, but not having a chance at all isn't fair either.

As for the name, Olympia has the naming rights so if they do sell it they will retain control of who buys it. So I don't think it's going to be Booking.com Arena. If anything maybe Amway Arena or keep it in the family and go Little Caesar's Coliseum, or maybe even go old school-ish and call it the Olympia Center. 

Would be cool to see a Detroit based company buy the name though. 

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 22 June 2013 - 10:36 PM.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#42 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

First I thought when this first came about illitch wanted to pay for like 95% of it himself? Did that change orno?

ALSO Detroit is a dump. There's a lot of abandoned and trashy looking buildings. So ifni had to assume the proposed location is in a spot that needs a little help. Keep in mind I've been to Detroit about 10 times total so I don't know if that's an accurate assumption in this exact location or not.

Right down Woodward by the Fox Theatre and Comerica Park

#43 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

I hope like that my Little Caesar's Coliseum idea is picking up steam. ;)

I've been saying it since at least May - linky

Edited by FireCaptain, 24 June 2013 - 12:26 AM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#44 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

I can only hope the new arena will be nothing like the United Center.

Otherwise no objection to this.

#45 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

This will take the Wings from 3rd largest rink in the NHL to 21st.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm guessing "the plan" is now on hold.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#47 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm guessing "the plan" is now on hold.

Or not?

Granted, he's hardly what I would consider to be an authority on the matter, but George Malik seems to be speaking with knowledge on the situation/laws, and he's saying that Detroit's bankruptcy filing will have no effect on the construction plans.

https://twitter.com/...956765997989888

Note to folks about the Wings' rink vs. Detroit bankruptcy: $ Wings receive comes from downtown property taxes.

@georgemalik so the new arena is still gonna be built?

Detroit's municipal bankruptcy will have no effect upon the construction of a new rink. @Letterberg_

@georgemalik Is the City paying any part of the bill for it?

@ChiTownSports The Downtown Development Authority is diverting about $12 million in property taxes from corporate shareholders downtown.

@georgemalik So the City isn't on the hook for any of it?

@ChiTownSports No. It's property tax money, and property tax money that was already diverted for downtown development.

@georgemalik @ChiTownSports The DDA tax capture was approved by the state for this project. It's always gone to building projects downtown.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

So the city s now officially bankrupt but willing to subsidize the new arena? As a citizen I would ask others and gather for a collective sueing of the so called city representives, unbelievable. I guess the Winter Classic is now offiicially in daknger again...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#49 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

So the city s now officially bankrupt but willing to subsidize the new arena? As a citizen I would ask others and gather for a collective sueing of the so called city representives, unbelievable. I guess the Winter Classic is now offiicially in daknger again...

You did not read the above post....they're tax incentives, nothing out of pocket....just eating out of future potential revenue (which is pretty dumb as well). 

@ChiTownSports said

@georgemalik So the City isn't on the hook for any of it?

George Malik said

@ChiTownSports No. It's property tax money, and property tax money that was already diverted for downtown development.

Edited by evilmrt, 18 July 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#50 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

Building up the downtown area absolutely helps a city. I've seen it first hand in Grand Rapids. Before the Van Andel was built it was run down and empty, most of the buildings were offices or cheap roach infested flop houses and nobody lived there or stuck around downtown after 6:00 if they could help it. Now there are restaurants, bars, and the area is packed at night and a lot of the unused buildings are converted into nice apartments. The arena itself might not bring in much money, but the places that come with it will. Now that 3 of the 4 pro teams will have their buildings right next to each other and they play in different seasons, there won't be any downtime either.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#51 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

For those worried about how Detroit's bankruptcy might have an impact on the new arena deal, here is an interesting article. Granted, it was written before bankruptcy was filed, but it does answer some questions.

http://www.detroitne...1/BIZ/306210043

What is Detroit doing?

In the same week that Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr details his restructuring proposal to off-load retiree health care to the feds and cut pensions — in or out of Chapter 9 bankruptcy — the Ilitch Family takes a big step toward its $650 million complex downtown, $283 million of it to come from public sources.

But the potentially jarring optics of this apparent contradiction are deceiving, especially when perception is willfully disconnected from reality.

The multi-use project, including a new 18,000-seat arena for the Ilitch-owned Red Wings, a hotel, offices and retail, does not depend on revenue from cash-strapped Detroit or beleaguered Wayne County, the two jurisdictions that would benefit most. Nor does it propose to levy new taxes or dump more debt on the city and county.

It does, however, represent a homemade phenomenon unspooling before our eyes: The very real threat of bankruptcy for Detroit isn’t slowing the pace of change and investment in the city. It’s turbo-charging it, chiefly because Orr and his team are acknowledging the depth of the financial crisis, sharing it with the public and moving to do something about it.

Now I guess we will see what bankruptcy actually does to these plans...

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#52 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Article from 3 hrs ago that it may not derail new arena

http://www.fieldofsc...rena-subsidies/
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#53 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

Just an update:

Things are moving forward nicely for the most part. DDA and state have already given the OK and even the City Clowncil approved 2/3 of required motions with the third to vote in February.

Quick reminder, in order to begin building by next fall, all approval hurdles must be cleared by 1st of April.

Looking forward to this!

http://freep.com/loc...12190244&f=1232

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#54 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Are there images of the projected new arena?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#55 RyaN_84

RyaN_84

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Just an update:

Things are moving forward nicely for the most part. DDA and state have already given the OK and even the City Clowncil approved 2/3 of required motions with the third to vote in February.

haha! i see what you did there! ;)

so with this new arena supposedly being built what will happen with the Joe? Will it be demolished or will it turn into something useful like what Maple Leaf Gardens is now.

#56 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

haha! i see what you did there! ;)

so with this new arena supposedly being built what will happen with the Joe? Will it be demolished or will it turn into something useful like what Maple Leaf Gardens is now.

I think the most likely option is for the Joe to be demolished, so Cobo Hall can expand into that area.

#57 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

How does everybody feel about the Joe departing for a new rink? About time? Wish it was refurbished instead? Personally I'm disappointed because its one of the few remaining 'old school' rinks left that doesn't pander to the corporate 21st century. Bet you won't find such a great standing room section at the new rink......

temp 1

#58 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Shouldn't be a need for standing room

#59 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I don't get it, why not just renovate the Joe? The city is bankrupt and yet these idiots are fine with using tax payers money to support a billonair. Why not use your own money for stuff like that?

With that Wilson guy running the arena plans I don't have a lot of confidence in the new building, I'm sure it wont be named after a Detroit legend or the best owner in all of sports, it will be a name sponsored by whatever company is paying the most, filled with even more places for the damn suits and not enough room to stand up and cheer for the real fans.

Just look at Pittsburgh their arena is outstanding but 0 atmosphere and passion, thanks to the suits.

Edited by frankgrimes, 30 December 2013 - 11:05 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Agree that new arenas suck, but I can see why they went new.

Sometimes new construction is easier and cheaper than renovating buildings that are hopelessly out of date and far below code or amenities. Also, as stated, it helps reshape the city geographically, economically and image-wise.

Also, I think it's been established that the city isn't paying for this.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.