Photo
- - - - -

NHL considering ban on spin-o-rama in shootout..

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

http://www.mlive.com..._red_wings.html

poor bert.. how's he going to score now? :(

"Spin-o-rama in shootouts very likely an illegal play in NHL next season. Change would have to be approved, but strong sense it will be," Dreger Tweeted. "Determining the direction of the puck and goalie contact among reasons for the NHL's consideration of banning the shootout spin-o-rama.

thought it was interesting.. figured i'd share.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#2 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Everything is getting too technical. It's like the NFL's "completing the process of the catch" rule. Just let em play!

#3 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

What a stupid thing to dedicate thought to.  Just get rid of the shootout if they're going to take moves away.  I mean what is the point of the shootout anyways, besides entertainment for the fans.  The only thing I can understand is contact with the goalie, in which case they could implement  a strict "no contact" rule - not ban a specific move.  

Get rid of the shootout and bring in the 5min 3 on 3 OT, or whatever was being proposed a couple of years (?) ago.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#4 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

The one they should make illegal is the Patrick Kane "Come to a complete stop & stick handle for 2 minutes" move

#5 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

They are just trying to implement as many changes as possible. What a joke.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#6 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Easy fix: 10 seconds to make one shot of any kind. No restrictions or super technical rules.

Or, get rid of the shootout.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#7 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

New rule: in order to score a shootout goal a player must 1) skate through a series of ten cones 2) skate around a midget balancing 5 plates without making him drop any. 3) jump through a ring of fire 4) limbo under a pole 5) and then put the puck in the net.

#8 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Here NHL, I've fixed it for you:

"NHL Considering Ban on Shootout."

Ahhh, much better.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

10 mins of 4on4 first please.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I don't have a problem with this.  Was it Raymond that had that ridiculous one this year?  Although, there should be a time limit or something to stop Kane's joke of a 'shot'.  The concept of a SO is to simulate a breakaway, Kane wouldn't get away with that on a breakaway, he'd get destroyed.  Maybe they should let the shooter get a slight head start and put a dman out there to chase him down.  That would make the SO a little more interesting.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#11 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Shootouts are a ridiculous skill competition with no actual correlation to team skill or the ebb and flow of a hockey game.  However, if the league is going to keep them, this rule sort of had to happen.  Two plays this year forced their hand:

(Burrows)

(Daugavins)

Basically, when you introduce a gimmick into the game and players start interpreting the rules so carefully as to make said gimmick jump the shark, you have to make changes.  You can pretend a guy skating in, making a deke or two and firing is analogous to an actual hockey game.  Neither of these plays (which were both technically legal) conveys a similar delusion.

A 10-second time limit really wouldn't stop the madness.  Pavol Demitra used to come in really slow from a wide angle (even off of the strip of freshly Zamboni-ed ice) for his attempts.  Variety in shootout attempts is "desirable", but there have to be some rules or it appears even more arbitrary than it already is.

Edited by StormJH1, 20 June 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#12 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Maybe they should let the shooter get a slight head start and put a dman out there to chase him down.  That would make the SO a little more interesting.

I've always been intrigued with this idea, it would certainly stop the fancy shots no one would ever try on a breakaway. But what happens if your DMan gets a penalty? Penalty shot? :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#13 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

New rule: in order to score a shootout goal a player must 1) skate through a series of ten cones 2) skate around a midget balancing 5 plates without making him drop any. 3) jump through a ring of fire 4) limbo under a pole 5) and then put the puck in the net.

So that means Bettman has to be at all games in case of a shootout?

#14 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

So that means Bettman has to be at all games in case of a shootout?

A. No way Bettman could balance 5 plates, and
B. He would drop plates on purpose in order to influence who wins.

Just sayin'.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#15 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

The one they should make illegal is the Patrick Kane "Come to a complete stop & stick handle for 2 minutes" move

Came here to post this. Kane's shootout goals are beyond stupid. 

Posted Image

#16 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I all reality, the spin-o-rama is, technically, already illegal in shootouts. The shooter is required maintain forward momentum, clearly that cannot happen. Just sayin'

"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels

#17 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I all reality, the spin-o-rama is, technically, already illegal in shootouts. The shooter is required maintain forward momentum, clearly that cannot happen. Just sayin'

pretty sure the rule is that the puck has to maintain forward momentum, not the player.. and that is possible while spinning.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#18 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Pav could do it...

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#19 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Can't lie and say shootouts aren't exciting but as a purist I'd rather see them go.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#20 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

So instead of getting rid off the skill competition known as shootout, they are now going to dictate the moves? This is beyond stupid. Either get rid off the thing or if not, don't touch it no need to get overly technical.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..