• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

NHL considering ban on spin-o-rama in shootout..

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/bad_news_for_detroit_red_wings.html

poor bert.. how's he going to score now? :(

"Spin-o-rama in shootouts very likely an illegal play in NHL next season. Change would have to be approved, but strong sense it will be,"
"
Determining the direction of the puck and goalie contact among reasons for the NHL's consideration of banning the shootout spin-o-rama.

thought it was interesting.. figured i'd share.

What a stupid thing to dedicate thought to. Just get rid of the shootout if they're going to take moves away. I mean what is the point of the shootout anyways, besides entertainment for the fans. The only thing I can understand is contact with the goalie, in which case they could implement a strict "no contact" rule - not ban a specific move.

Get rid of the shootout and bring in the 5min 3 on 3 OT, or whatever was being proposed a couple of years (?) ago.

I don't have a problem with this. Was it Raymond that had that ridiculous one this year? Although, there should be a time limit or something to stop Kane's joke of a 'shot'. The concept of a SO is to simulate a breakaway, Kane wouldn't get away with that on a breakaway, he'd get destroyed. Maybe they should let the shooter get a slight head start and put a dman out there to chase him down. That would make the SO a little more interesting.

Shootouts are a ridiculous skill competition with no actual correlation to team skill or the ebb and flow of a hockey game. However, if the league is going to keep them, this rule sort of had to happen. Two plays this year forced their hand:

(Burrows)

(Daugavins)

Basically, when you introduce a gimmick into the game and players start interpreting the rules so carefully as to make said gimmick jump the shark, you have to make changes. You can pretend a guy skating in, making a deke or two and firing is analogous to an actual hockey game. Neither of these plays (which were both technically legal) conveys a similar delusion.

A 10-second time limit really wouldn't stop the madness. Pavol Demitra used to come in really slow from a wide angle (even off of the strip of freshly Zamboni-ed ice) for his attempts. Variety in shootout attempts is "desirable", but there have to be some rules or it appears even more arbitrary than it already is.

Edited by StormJH1

Maybe they should let the shooter get a slight head start and put a dman out there to chase him down. That would make the SO a little more interesting.

I've always been intrigued with this idea, it would certainly stop the fancy shots no one would ever try on a breakaway. But what happens if your DMan gets a penalty? Penalty shot? :lol:

New rule: in order to score a shootout goal a player must 1) skate through a series of ten cones 2) skate around a midget balancing 5 plates without making him drop any. 3) jump through a ring of fire 4) limbo under a pole 5) and then put the puck in the net.

So that means Bettman has to be at all games in case of a shootout?

I all reality, the spin-o-rama is, technically, already illegal in shootouts. The shooter is required maintain forward momentum, clearly that cannot happen. Just sayin'

pretty sure the rule is that the puck has to maintain forward momentum, not the player.. and that is possible while spinning.

New rule: in order to score a shootout goal a player must 1) skate through a series of ten cones 2) skate around a midget balancing 5 plates without making him drop any. 3) jump through a ring of fire 4) limbo under a pole 5) and then put the puck in the net.

Pav could do it...

Its a team sport - individuals should not decide the fate of the game at the end. It favours teams that are built on skill rather than grittiness and teams that have amazing goaltenders rather than great team defense to prevent goals. I bet you could use stats and predict fairly effectively the efficiency of teams in shootouts.

I say they have a fightout. Two, one minute bouts. That's 1/2 of a point and shootouts is another 1/2.

Both teams have to pick the fighters AND the shooters.

So if we play the hawks babcock can pick Kane to fight and quenville will maybe pick datsyuk.